Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #16
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Something strange.

My Kobo Aura One works well these days. The battery wasn't discharged in the sleep mode like what happened on the Saturday. I keep a watch on the battery when reading, the percentage of the battery disminished gradually and normally. But something very strange happened twice, yesterday and today. The battery was 68% or 67% and suddenly (I did nothing special, I checked the battery after reading several minutes) went to 52%. Then it was normal again. Today the battery was on 42% and suddenly went to 31%. It seems to be normal again.

Anybody experienced that?
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
When any of my devices start fast discharging, I restart the device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
My Kobo Aura One works well these days. The battery wasn't discharged in the sleep mode like what happened on the Saturday. I keep a watch on the battery when reading, the percentage of the battery disminished gradually and normally. But something very strange happened twice, yesterday and today. The battery was 68% or 67% and suddenly (I did nothing special, I checked the battery after reading several minutes) went to 52%. Then it was normal again. Today the battery was on 42% and suddenly went to 31%. It seems to be normal again.

Yes, there are reports of that happening. The Aura ONE seems to be most prone to it. It isn't one of the things I've ever really worried about as I've never assumed the battery rundown would be perfectly linear. The question for me has always been what the total runtime is. The claims that Kobo make work out to about 15 hours of reading. If you are getting somewhere in that range, then there isn't an issue. But, remember, that is reading. Most of the other activities, such as browsing through your library looking for the next book to read, use a lot more CPU and IO and hence more battery.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #19
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Something strange.

Yes, I've had a KA1 since last October and just recently started to think a charge maybe wasn't lasting as long. Checked over 3 discharges from 100% to 10% (when the reader insists you recharge) and those sudden drops happened every time. Twice each cycle it dropped about 12-15% while just reading. I'm suspecting its a battery calibration issue as it happened during a period of reading with no other activity, so a whole cycle is needed for comparison.

Anyway it looks like I get ~11 hours reading from 100% to 10% (90% as this is the actual time between recharging- ~12hrs if it was fully discharged). Sounds low compared to the 15 hours Kobo quotes - however the discharge rate really depends on the screen turns in this time - literally mileage may vary from person to person!

I read quite fast and keep my font size a little larger because of eye problems - so more screen turns; but I also reduce margins and line-height to cut back page turns.

And just realised that so far I haven't collected some essential info to get good figures on the screen turn rate! I'll report again in a few days after the next full discharge cycle.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #20
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I think when you are seeing a rapid discharge like that, there is a background process that is chewing cpu time. A full shutdown / restart should fix that.

The old firmwares sometimes did that if I started a search in a PDF and aborted it.
The new firmwares sometimes do it without help, not sure why.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The sudden drop of battery percentage happened again. I would like to know, whether it is the bug of the actual firmware or an uncurable problem of Kobo itself.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Firmware

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The sudden drop of battery percentage happened again. I would like to know, whether it is the bug of the actual firmware or an uncurable problem of Kobo itself.
Is it happening at the same percentage of battery? If so, it's probably an issue with how the measurement and probably can't be fixed.

Or, if it is happening at a particular usage (after 50 minutes of reading, or after a sync, or after using the browser), then it is probably a firmware issue and might be fixable if the cause can be tracked down.

If it is completely random, it will be harder to work out whether it is a hardware fault, a software fault or just something in the nature of the devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I finally got brave the other day & let my Aura 6" update... Last nite what I went to sleep I checked the battery. it was on 75%... when I got up the morning is was on 5%!! This is one bug I can do with out
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I finally got brave the other day & let my Aura 6" update... Last nite what I went to sleep I checked the battery. it was on 75%... when I got up the morning is was on 5%!! This is one bug I can do with out
Did you turn off the light before you let the device go to sleep?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't know about Kobo but when Amazon did their big update on older devices, they specifically said plug it in for the update.
Updates sometimes take a lot of power.
So that may or may not be a bug.

*personal opinion
Anytime I am doing anything I think might be a power hog, I plug the device in to use it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #27
Spinnenmonat
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is it happening at the same percentage of battery? If so, it's probably an issue with how the measurement and probably can't be fixed.

Or, if it is happening at a particular usage (after 50 minutes of reading, or after a sync, or after using the browser), then it is probably a firmware issue and might be fixable if the cause can be tracked down.

If it is completely random, it will be harder to work out whether it is a hardware fault, a software fault or just something in the nature of the devices.
I can confirm now. It happened exactly at the same percentage of battery and the the amount of the reduction is also the same. So is it the bug of this new firmware or the character of this unit of device?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #28
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
So is it the bug of this new firmware or the character of this unit of device?
Firmware bug. It isn't stopping something or turning something off when it is suppose to go to sleep. Older firmwares didn't do this.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Firmware bug. It isn't stopping something or turning something off when it is suppose to go to sleep. Older firmwares didn't do this.
That's why I'm suggesting everyone on this firmware turn off the light before stopping reading and putting the Kobo to sleep. That works for me. I don't have the light draining the battery or the light turning back on when awoken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #30
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The A1 Dropping rapidly by about 10% at the same 2 or 3 points on the meter has been a characteristic of the device for every firmware release since the first. It's not at all related to the problems with light not turning off or stuck process draining overnight.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote