Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #76
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsb View Post
Note: I made sure my Kobo account was set to NZ and the affiliate on the device was Kobo. Still no Overdrive...
As Peter said, the firmware is the same no matter where you bought it, and it should be affiliate or location (likely based on IP address) that determines if you have OD showing up or not (I can't remember off the top of my head how it determines). You definitely don't need to add anything to get it if you're in a country with OD available on the Kobo, customer service is wrong on that. Have you tried a factory reset? The other thing to try would be a different affiliate (i.e. Chapters). Do a search and you should be able to find a list of proper affiliate names.
But don't give up, because there is no reason your device shouldn't be able to access Overdrive where it's available through Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #77
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As a further thought: are you still IN Italy? That definitely could be messing with the geo-location check -- i.e. if it is detecting you're in Italy it won't show OD, but should show it when you're home again.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #78
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As a further thought: are you still IN Italy? That definitely could be messing with the geo-location check -- i.e. if it is detecting you're in Italy it won't show OD, but should show it when you're home again.
Not really, I can say I'm not living in USA and Overdrive appears in my Aura One.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #79
Bugsb
Bugsb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks for your responses regarding Overdrive on my device in Italy. I am still in Italy. I have kept the device as it's taken me so long to get hold of one and a hassle to return it as we're on the road and I am desperate for something to read! I certainly hope Overdrive will be enabled when I get back to NZ and reset the device, if necessary. However, I have contacted customer support again as I was not happy with their first answer, but chatting with another person from customer support, this was their response:

"Overdrives comes pre installed on the devices and unfortunately cannot be added once you go back to New Zealand. It is a limitation that is placed on the device that is sold.
For instance if you look at the Kobo website ( the Italian version) , the library feature is not advertised under the Kobo aura one. Whereas in supported countries you can actually see the feature advertised.
I would recommend that you return the device and re purchase it when you go back to New Zealand"

I'll be in the UK in a month and Overdrive is used there, so it will be intersesting if I can access it there, although I'm not holding out hope based on Kobo customer support's advice. Regardless, it just seems crazy to me that if you are travelling you cannot access Overdrive to check out books from the library in your home country. I don't understand why it just isn't available on all KA1 devices in all countries, regardless of what the libraries there are set up for??!!
Bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #80
Bugsb
Bugsb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As Peter said, the firmware is the same no matter where you bought it, and it should be affiliate or location (likely based on IP address) that determines if you have OD showing up or not (I can't remember off the top of my head how it determines). You definitely don't need to add anything to get it if you're in a country with OD available on the Kobo, customer service is wrong on that. Have you tried a factory reset? The other thing to try would be a different affiliate (i.e. Chapters). Do a search and you should be able to find a list of proper affiliate names.
But don't give up, because there is no reason your device shouldn't be able to access Overdrive where it's available through Kobo.
Thanks Robko, I will try the reset and different affiliates when I get to the UK.
Bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert