Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #31
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And as no-one took a hint I posted yesterday, could someone with an Aura ONE and a second Kobo device, borrow a book using the Aura ONE and then sync the other device. What happens might depend on the firmware, so the second device might need to be using 4.0.
It may be a longshot, but I'm going to experiment with my Windows App for Overdrive. de-authorize and reauthorize with my new Overdrive I.D. and see if books I've downloaded can be synched to the Kobo One. If that works, that will be a satisfactory work around.

Going to go finish up a book on the tablet and will report back my findings.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #32
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And as no-one took a hint I posted yesterday, could someone with an Aura ONE and a second Kobo device, borrow a book using the Aura ONE and then sync the other device. What happens might depend on the firmware, so the second device might need to be using 4.0.
Yes a book borrowed on my Aura One shows up on my H2O as library book and will open and is readable and has an expiry date listed (4.0 on my H2O).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #33
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yes a book borrowed on my Aura One shows up on my H2O as library book and will open and is readable and has an expiry date listed (4.0 on my H2O).
Um wow! That's cool!
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #34
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Here is a question for ya; If you take the KoboReader.sqlite from the Aura One, and use it on your H20, can you borrow books on your H20?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #35
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Robko - that is great.

I tried - reauthorizing my Stream with the same OD account as what is setup on my ONE, downloaded a book through the OD App to the Stream then turned on the synch setting for the ONE. Scratch that idea for now, didn't work.
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #36
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
Here is a question for ya; If you take the KoboReader.sqlite from the Aura One, and use it on your H20, can you borrow books on your H20?
I doubt it. The H2O has none of the interface for anything OD related. I assume the switch in the firmware is keying off the hardware somehow, so unless you can trick the firmware into thinking the H2O is a A1 you wont have any of the OD options on it. Theoretically at least.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #37
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
Robko - that is great.

I tried - reauthorizing my Stream with the same OD account as what is setup on my ONE, downloaded a book through the OD App to the Stream then turned on the synch setting for the ONE. Scratch that idea for now, didn't work.
Did you actually initiate a sync with Kobo or just turn on the autosync? If you haven't, you need to actually do a sync with Kobo to get the book. If you just turned on autosync that only checks once a day. Apologies if you knew all that already, but the way your post was written it sounded like you might not have and I'd have thought what you did with checking the book out should have worked.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #38
beespeckled
Zealot

Quote:
Did you actually initiate a sync with Kobo or just turn on the autosync? If you haven't, you need to actually do a sync with Kobo to get the book. If you just turned on autosync that only checks once a day. Apologies if you knew all that already, but the way your post was written it sounded like you might not have and I'd have thought what you did with checking the book out should have worked.
I initiated the sync through the sync feature on device. Are you saying, I need to go into my Kobo account thru the website and there is some sort of setting to sync as well? I don't see OD as an option. Thanks for clarifying.

I've downloaded 2 OD books through the Kobo website fine, I'm just trying to find a work around for the books that I already have on request without having to side-load.

Last edited by beespeckled; 09-08-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Checking a book out on the A1 was easy. It immediately downloaded. I checked another out on the website, synced my A1 but the book did not download.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #40
beespeckled
Zealot

Some more reading on the Overdrive website in regards to the Aura One, I found this tidbit "With OverDrive on your Kobo Aura ONE, you can also place holds on unavailable library eBooks, access OverDrive eBooks you've borrowed elsewhere (if they're also available in the Kobo catalog), and more."

This line of info made me think further, I went into the Kobo store and was able to download the same book that had been downloaded thru the windows app.

There had been an auto checkout which I tried to download the first day of having my new device but it hadn't recognized me as the person on hold, prompting me to place a hold. (As well as causing me confusion as to how I was going to get to those hold requests when they came in other than side-loading)

Last edited by beespeckled; 09-08-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Sweet!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I have to correct myself, you do need to login to Overdrive if a sufficient amount of time has passed between when you last borrowed a book. I'm not sure how long that time is though. Mildly annoying, but I still have to login a second time to the library website if I was doing this the old fashioned way. So the KAO is still leading in terms of being an easier option.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #43
robko
Wizard

Quote:
I initiated the sync through the sync feature on device. Are you saying, I need to go into my Kobo account thru the website and there is some sort of setting to sync as well? I don't see OD as an option. Thanks for clarifying.
Nope, you did it right. Just the way you wrote the original post I didn't want to assume you had hit the sync button.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #44
robko
Wizard

Quote:
This line of info made me think further, I went into the Kobo store and was able to download the same book that had been downloaded thru the windows app.
So you can get it on your Aura One, but if you check it out via another way you have to manually select it for download on your A1 (rather than it just automatically downloading when you sync)?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #45
beespeckled
Zealot

Quote:
So you can get it on your Aura One, but if you check it out via another way you have to manually select it for download on your A1 (rather than it just automatically downloading when you sync)?
Yes, my main thing being I have all these request pending in my OD account. I'll double check again once a hold request is available, there could be software updates in-between that might make it more user friendly, but for now it looks like if I checkout then download to a device with the same OD account, I will then be able to do a search for the specific title in the Kobo store then download it wirelessly onto the One.