Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
How to get an ebook via OD on your Kobo

1) Search for the book, limiting the result to Overdrive (there's a dropdown menu on the left side, I believe it starts as 'Kobo'.
Do you mean the Show: item? Starts with All, gives you a choice of All, Overdrive or Eligible for Discounts?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you mean the Show: item? Starts with All, gives you a choice of All, Overdrive or Eligible for Discounts?
Yes, that's it. Sorry for the misinformation, it's been a long hot day, and I've been tweaking my new One with the available patches.

I think the major issue folks will have with OD is the availability of ebooks in their library. I'm lucky I live in a mega metropolis so I have free and easy access to very well stocked library systems.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The most likely download location is in the kepub folder ( .kobo\kepub ) where it will have what looks very much like a GUID for a file name with no extension. For instance, if I look in the kepub folder, I find a file named 6aa7631c-cf6f-4a08-887b-7e2de803e31e which when I open it in DL Reader turns out to be Her Majesty's Wizard by Christopher Stasheff which I just used the Overdrive integration to download from the local public library listing.

If the files are not DRMed (Kobo's DRM not Adobe ADEPT DRM), you can open them easily. If they are DRMed, that topic is beyond this discussion.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. This is exactly where they are. Not sure which DRM is used, but I was able to open the ebook in iBooks on my Mac. Which makes me suspect it's ADEPT rather than Kobos own DRM as I am have my Mac registered under DE but I do not have the Kobo desktop app installed.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #19
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Winner winner, chicken dinner. This is exactly where they are. Not sure which DRM is used, but I was able to open the ebook in iBooks on my Mac. Which makes me suspect it's ADEPT rather than Kobos own DRM as I am have my Mac registered under DE but I do not have the Kobo desktop app installed.
So when we "borrow" them onto the kobo are they not easy to find right on the kobo itself? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Still waiting for my KA1 to arrive so I can see for myself.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
So when we "borrow" them onto the kobo are they not easy to find right on the kobo itself? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Still waiting for my KA1 to arrive so I can see for myself.
They show up in your library the same as any other book (and you can filter for just Overdrive books). What DNSB and MGlitch are referring to is finding the actual file itself. Not required if you just want to read the book on your A1.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard

Finding it to read on the KA1 is easy, it'll likely be one of, if not the most recent items if you sort your library that way after the ebook is downloaded. Otherwise it's just like finding any other ebook on your Kobo.

What I was looking for was where on the devices filesystem the ebook file was stored. This is more to make using Calibre as a library management tool easier and to let me keep track of things I've read, liked or disliked, etc. I could always make an empty ebook, but this way I just drag/drop.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #22
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
They show up in your library the same as any other book (and you can filter for just Overdrive books). What DNSB and MGlitch are referring to is finding the actual file itself. Not required if you just want to read the book on your A1.
Perfect. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! Now if my KA1 would just get shipped already!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #23
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Finding it to read on the KA1 is easy, it'll likely be one of, if not the most recent items if you sort your library that way after the ebook is downloaded. Otherwise it's just like finding any other ebook on your Kobo.

What I was looking for was where on the devices filesystem the ebook file was stored. This is more to make using Calibre as a library management tool easier and to let me keep track of things I've read, liked or disliked, etc. I could always make an empty ebook, but this way I just drag/drop.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #24
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I haven't yet ordered a KA1 as am waiting until they arrive in NZ in a couple of months but have been following the overdrive discussion with interest.

My local overdrive library is pretty limited and I like to browse for books, same as I would scan the library shelves, rather than already having a specific book to search for. I see Nate [digital-reader] has suggested that borrowing from the website on a PC and then syncing is an easier option - but is it possible to go one step further and to browse - and borrow - via the KA1 browser? The browser on smaller Kobos was a pain, but the larger screen might be more friendly? Once "borrowed" from the library then just syncing the KA1 should download it.

It would be marvellous if this were possible! Can someone please try this out?

Also it occurs to me that even if borrowing isn't possible then browsing on the KA1 would be!
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Where they are on the file system doesn't matter. The KoboTouch driver uses the database to see what books are on the device. How they are in the marked as library books is one thing I don't know. That's something I'll have to find out when I can. If someone who has borrowed a book and downloaded it wants to send me a database, I can start looking at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #26
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
For general browsing and downloading through Kobo for an OD book, it works great. It is not being able to access the full scope of wish lists/item requests ready to check-out that is a problem for me.

I had wrongly assumed they would have had the tech from Sony on setting up integration with OD ala Sony T-series.

But as an early adapter (adopter?) I guess this is what comes with the territory. It will surely get better.

(Scratch what I said previous in last night's post about ADE being authorized thru vendor OD. I de-authorized and reset ADE with an ADE account, then authorized the One again. The book I had side-loaded and wasn't recognized of course says it has been check-out to another ADE account.)

Last edited by beespeckled; 09-07-2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: clarity
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #27
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
I had wrongly assumed they would have had the tech from Sony on setting up integration with OD ala Sony T-series
Kobo took over the Sony bookstore but didn't purchase any of Sony's hardware/software that I'm aware of. Rakuten bought Overdrive, but Overdrive also likely had no direct access to the Sony end of things.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where they are on the file system doesn't matter. The KoboTouch driver uses the database to see what books are on the device. How they are in the marked as library books is one thing I don't know. That's something I'll have to find out when I can. If someone who has borrowed a book and downloaded it wants to send me a database, I can start looking at it.
I can do this, I presume it'd be better if it wasn't a ebook already on that device though?

The ones I tested were ones I already owned, from authors backstock thus not likely high on folks reading lists.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I can do this, I presume it'd be better if it wasn't a ebook already on that device though?

The ones I tested were ones I already owned, from authors backstock thus not likely high on folks reading lists.
I need a database with a books that has been borrowed in as many states as there are. I was mainly thinking of downloaded and still in the loan period, but an expired loan would also be good. And if it adds something to the library when you are in the wait list, that would be good as well.

I don't think Kobo will let you borrow a book you already own in the store. In fact, I think if you borrow a book, add annotations and then buy the book after the loan has expired, the annotations will be kept.

And as no-one took a hint I posted yesterday, could someone with an Aura ONE and a second Kobo device, borrow a book using the Aura ONE and then sync the other device. What happens might depend on the firmware, so the second device might need to be using 4.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #30
MGlitch
Wizard

Tried syncing on my H2O, running 3.x, nothing happened. I'm not keen to upgrade it to 4.x. I have to suspect that regardless of the firmware nothing will sync down as you do need to add your Overdrive account to the KA1, you do not need to have authorized it with ADE to read the borrowed books. Which would indicate that it's entirely OD handled. Since, even with 4.x installed older devices don't get access to OD, at best they'd get the ebook synced and then not be able to read it.

I didn't buy these from Kobo, rather from other sources and then ahem... Alfed them. But to make things easy I'll find a book I don't already have and borrow that.