Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #31
psychotic_chimp
psychotic_chimp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
questions questions

uhmmm...calibre great program little slo on my mac but at least it works...wi kindle files will DRM hinder translation to text files? if so how can u work around it? hear there is free software available to strip the DRM? also th unique number asssociated wi each kindle how do find out wot it is? kno amazon dont like peeble knoin how to do this heh heh oh well.....any helop appreciated......
psychotic_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #32
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
OK, Thanks again.

I will let it run overnight then.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #33
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotic_chimp View Post
uhmmm...calibre great program little slo on my mac but at least it works...wi kindle files will DRM hinder translation to text files? if so how can u work around it? hear there is free software available to strip the DRM? also th unique number asssociated wi each kindle how do find out wot it is? kno amazon dont like peeble knoin how to do this heh heh oh well.....any helop appreciated......
Uhm, there's this thing called "orthography". It's not just taught to annoy you kids, you know...

Yes, DRM files cannot be converted or edited in any way by Calibre. There are ways around it, but forum rules prohibit to discuss it. By searching the forum, though, you should be able to pick up enough hints to know what to search the web for.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I finished the analysis required to determine why using the 'recompute' button on manage authors was (or could be) very slow.

On my 5,000 book test library, I changed the tweak and went through the manage authors process. After 30 minutes I gave up, but now with information about what was slow. The answers were transaction handling (I expected that) and screen refresh (I didn't expect that). The continuous screen refresh alone took 11 minutes.

After changing the code to do better things with both, the operation on my 5,000 book library now completes in 4 seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if the refresh change doesn't improve some other things, although at this point I can't predict which.

This improvement should be in the next release, as long as Kovid-review-cycles are available.

Last edited by chaley; 12-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #35
lvovsky
lvovsky began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
When I did the manage_authors - recalculate thing, my Calibre hung up (using 100% cpu). After ~40 minutes, I killed it and started it again, and authors are sorted now differently. So it did seem to work anyway.

same happened to me. Calibre .7.32.; win XP;
i didn't care for and wasn't confident in results so I restored .db from back up to be safe

calibre was "not responding" during recalculation operation. it would be nice to have a progress indicator for impatient kind...

Last edited by lvovsky; 12-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
lvovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #36
lvovsky
lvovsky began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
After changing the code to do better things with both, the operation on my 5,000 book library now completes in 4 seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if the refresh change doesn't improve some other things, although at this point I can't predict which.

This improvement should be in the next release, as long as Kovid-review-cycles are available.
awesome! can't wait to try it!
lvovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Wow! That was superfast! You are awesome Chaley.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #38
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur
ViktorShchedrin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
to sort eisting authors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ouch. I only have 465 existing authors. There has to be an easier way.
THANK you very much to start this thread and THANKs to all replied.

Unfortunately i do not understand everything and i have 3165 existing authors, can i change from FN LN to LN,FN automatically ?

my tweak author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'

and manage_authors switch on manage_by_author_sort

manage_author panel i see some authors as FN LN some - which i changed manually - LN FN

so, can i change all existing authors to LN FN automatically ?
ViktorShchedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #39
GoingDown
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorShchedrin View Post
so, can i change all existing authors to LN FN automatically ?
Reply #16 in this same thread will help you with that... I used it and it worked perfectly.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #40
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Reply #16 in this same thread will help you with that... I used it and it worked perfectly.
thanks fast reply, i read #16, but something wrong - my mind or my tweaks or it is not work - author_sort and authors - and the Test fields and result the same

Douglas Adams and Douglas Adams

Calibre 0.7.42

Where i do mistake ?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #41
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

Quote:
thanks for answering and making me try and think

my problem is that i imported books with tweak
author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'
and i have both
authors and author_sort the same as FN LN

i changed author_sort_copy_method = 'invert' before import the books - test for Agatha Christie - and now i have authors="Agatha Christie" and author_sort="Agatha Christie" too and i can use bulk metada edit method as described this thread #16

so, my question now is - can i change automatically author_sort VALUEs - existing authors - from "FN LN" to "LN,FN" without to import books again ?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click on an author in the tag browser, select manage authors and click recalcualte author sort
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur

Kovid, Thanks for the Calibre program, RegEx is the solution I happy now
i use this advice https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=2 and about 10 authors should edit manually. 3200
authors about 8200 titles was changed about 30 mins.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #44
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Right click on an author in the tag browser, select manage authors and click recalcualte author sort
How can you tell that it is doing anything? I recently (yesterday) tried this and there was no feedback that pressing the recalcualte author sort button did anything.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have any authors that are wrong, it will correct them, if they're all right, it will do nothing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote