Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2022, 04:21 AM   #46
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley - if the column list in L&F->MDE could include column type it would be better than perfect
I looked at this and won't do it. The same list of fields is used in "edit metadata", "book details", and "quickview". Some of them need to add & remove fields where the data type description doesn't make sense. This takes us into "no good deed goes unpunished" territory.
Quote:
Another wish list item.

In book lists I hide long text columns with an 'is set' icon, and to avoid horizontal scrolling I shrink the column widths accordingly, and I often give such columns a 2 character Header name. It would be good if columns had a another 'label' (e.g. Column title) which if present would be used in Book Details, Metadata Edit etc.

In this screen shot the Red labels in the Book details panel are Column titles for my #blurb and @checklist columns.

Attachment 192098

As always - only if its easy-ish

BR
I will think about this if someday I am near the mass of code to manage and use custom columns. Don't hold your breath.

Last edited by chaley; 02-04-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:34 AM   #47
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I looked at this and won't do it. The same list of fields is used in "edit metadata", "book details", and "quickview". Some of them need to add & remove fields where the data type description doesn't make sense. This takes us into "no good deed goes unpunished" territory.
Okay.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:52 AM   #48
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In book lists I hide long text columns with an 'is set' icon, and to avoid horizontal scrolling I shrink the column widths accordingly, and I often give such columns a 2 character Header name. It would be good if columns had a another 'label' (e.g. Column title) which if present would be used in Book Details, Metadata Edit etc.
It's kind of an ugly solution, but what I've done before is have one column with a short label for book list/MDE use, and then have a {#yourcolumn} composite column with a nicer label for book detail usage.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-03-2022 at 05:22 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:31 AM   #49
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, just curious: Is there any way to access an enumerated column's "edit permissible values" from within the MDE dialog, or is that only from the tag browser?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #50
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also, just curious: Is there any way to access an enumerated column's "edit permissible values" from within the MDE dialog, or is that only from the tag browser?
That editor is available only in the tag browser. Not sure why, but I did have a reason at the time.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #51
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I added splitters to the all-on-one metadata edit dialog. They are in source now. There is a splitter between the field boxes and the comments box, and between those and the formats/cover box. There isn't a splitter between the standard and custom fields group boxes.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:36 AM   #52
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

It works. I like the ability to completely collapse the sectoions; that might be useful.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #53
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's kind of an ugly solution, but what I've done before is have one column with a short label for book list/MDE use, and then have a {#yourcolumn} composite column with a nicer label for book detail usage.
Composite columns don't have a header position attribute so that's not suitable for columns such as my Blurb column.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #54
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Ah, I don't use longtext columns much so I didn't think of that. I wonder if it would be much of a change to have composite columns support a header position.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 AM   #55
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, I don't use longtext columns much so I didn't think of that. I wonder if it would be much of a change to have composite columns support a header position.
That would a lot of smallish changes that could easily break things.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #56
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I moved the 5 edit metadata tweaks to the look & feel dialog. They are use 2 columns, elide custom labels, where the elision point is, and the label widths for bulk and single metadata edit. The changes are in source.

Because many people are currently bouncing between releases I didn't delete the tweaked values. They are instead shown in "plugin tweaks" when using a version that supports them as options. They reappear as standard tweaks when you use a version that doesn't support the options. Note, though, that changing an option does not change the corresponding tweak. The first time an option-supporting version of calibre is run the tweaks are copied to the options. That doesn't happen again even if you change the tweaks.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #57
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Looks good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-04 11_55_53-calibre - Preferences - Look & feel.png
Views:	80
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	192112

Question: Seeing as they're all custom columns, I'm assuming the icons are from another (possibly shared) section of code?
Old 02-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #58
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Question: Seeing as they're all custom columns, I'm assuming the icons are from another (possibly shared) section of code?
Yes. The same code is used 3 times in Look & feel: here, in Quickview preferences, and in Book details preferences.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #59
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

BTW: there is also now a splitter on the All-on-1-tab dialog between the cover image box and formats box.