Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Touch
Best firmware for Kobo Touch N905B prior to 3.17/3.18?

Hi,

I recently dug out my old Kobo Touch (N905B) and I immediately was confronted with the old problem it had when I put it aside for a tablet a few years ago: I could only update to a firmware around version 3.17 or 3.18, anything above that would crash my Touch after a minute or so, even after trying every possible way of resetting the device. And no difference trying the current firmware version (4.4.9349) now which is installed via the desktop software with the regular set up.

So, is there any consesus about what the most usable and stable version prior to 3.17/3.18 was? I don’t want to try out loads of old images just to find these or that annoying problems.

Thanks
Spheres
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi there.

The latest firmware versions should work on a Touch so something else may be causing the problem. Usually the most likely cause is either a corrupt database or 'sickel' kicking in and rebooting the device due to the processing of a complicated ebook taking too long.

To test the latter hypothesis you could try stopping sickel from triggering automatic reboots by installing frostschutz's hack, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=28
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Hi, I completely resetted the Touch multiple times via manual factory reset, so the database shouldn’t be the problem.

I see I was a bit unspecific in my first post with “crashing”. I meant the Touch completely freezes after a couple of minutes after turning on (with one of the newer firmware versions installed), without doing anything with it or even copying over anything to it. When I do another manual factory reset and switch back to a version prior to 3.17, there are no freezes.
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheres View Post
Hi, I completely resetted the Touch multiple times via manual factory reset, so the database shouldn’t be the problem.

I see I was a bit unspecific in my first post with “crashing”. I meant the Touch completely freezes after a couple of minutes after turning on (with one of the newer firmware versions installed), without doing anything with it or even copying over anything to it. When I do another manual factory reset and switch back to a version prior to 3.17, there are no freezes.

3.16.0 works fine on my Touch.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote