Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
What does OD look like in KA1?

I really like the OD/Amazon experience. Sure, it's not integrated into the reader but it sure beats the old days of Nook with ADE, USB cable, etc. It's the number one reason I'm quite happy to stick with the Paperwhite.

Things I don't like are fonts and font sizes. Thing that is really, really, really bugging me is the 6 inch screen size. Especially when I'm reading non-fiction and it may be enough to push over to KA1.

I'm hesitant about the OD process away from Amazon though. I'm 99% in on OD e and audio books so the ease of borrowing library books is priority number one. So I have very specific and detailed questions about how an integrated OD works in the KA1?

From descriptions and videos, the emphasis is on logging in on an OD account and searching for books. But what if I don't want to search but just want to go straight to my OD account so I can borrow from the Hold and Loan sections? Basically, are you able to access your account and use its functionality like you would if you were in a browser or the OD app on the phone/tablet?

I have access to 3 OD libraries--my understanding is that I can use all of them but that I have to log in and out of them each time?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Below is what I go through to borrow a book on my KA1 with OD integration. Like you, I have access to three libraries with OD audio and electronic books.

1. I do all my searching for books from a Web browser pointed to my library of choice.
2. I find the book I want and check it out.
3. From my KA1, I check which library I'm connected to. If needed, log out/log in to the library of choice.
4. I click the sync icon which automatically pulls the book down to the KA1. It also makes it available to any other connected Kobo devices.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Below is what I go through to borrow a book on my KA1 with OD integration. Like you, I have access to three libraries with OD audio and electronic books.

1. I do all my searching for books from a Web browser pointed to my library of choice.
2. I find the book I want and check it out.
3. From my KA1, I check which library I'm connected to. If needed, log out/log in to the library of choice.
4. I click the sync icon which automatically pulls the book down to the KA1. It also makes it available to any other connected Kobo devices.
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful! Quite similar to the Amazon experience then. That makes KA1 very attractive...

Does that mean if you have the wifi on, it doesn't automatically sync? You have to manually sync? That would be my preference.

Since you have listed a Kindle--is it possible to download to Kobo and then go back to browser and select Kindle? That way, you can read the book on both devices?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict

Nevermind my last question about reading same book on Kindle and Kobo. I tested a couple of books on OD and once I selected a format, I was locked out of the other selection.

Thought it would be neat to use KA1 at home and use PW on the go. Plus, I bought the PW less than 2 years ago and at the time I promised it would be used for at least 4 years--just like the Nook. I justify luxury electronic purchases by using them until they peter out. And I felt slightly guilty buying the PW while the Nook was still good. But I needed the light, darn it!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Nevermind my last question about reading same book on Kindle and Kobo. I tested a couple of books on OD and once I selected a format, I was locked out of the other selection.

Thought it would be neat to use KA1 at home and use PW on the go. Plus, I bought the PW less than 2 years ago and at the time I promised it would be used for at least 4 years--just like the Nook. I justify luxury electronic purchases by using them until they peter out. And I felt slightly guilty buying the PW while the Nook was still good. But I needed the light, darn it!
I don't believe the format selection affects the Kobo devices. My understanding is that if you borrow a book from a library that has the connection to Kobo, and the book is in the Kobo store, it will be added to your Kobo library. Then it will download to your device the next time you sync.

Also, you can borrow on the device. For this, the Kobo store is used. Any book you can borrow will have some indication. The search and filters on the store will show this as well. When you use this, the book will download to the device immediately. I can't give more details as don't have the device, but there has been plenty of discussion about it here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote