Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
scoiattolo49
scoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc..
Warning: Kindle 3.0 update for iOS breaks sideloading and whispersync, collections

Just updated to kindle v3.0 for my iPhone and iPad. The trick of adding the .mobi files directly into \Library\eBooks folder seems broken. after the update when I try to open the same files now I get an error (they where working perfectly with version 2.9).
Tried reinstalling the app and adding againg... same error pops up

PS personal document service still working perfectly
scoiattolo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Ms Pixie
Ms Pixie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post
Just updated to kindle v3.0 for my iPhone and iPad. The trick of adding the .mobi files directly into \Library\eBooks folder seems broken. after the update when I try to open the same files now I get an error (they where working perfectly with version 2.9).

The same thing happened to me yesterday! What a bummer that I had organized, tagged and sideloaded my collection a few days before ...
Carols guide of how to tag with calibre and then sideload with discaid or iexplorer worked beautifuly between my Kindle 3, iphone and ipad Kindle apps, but since downloading the latest Kindle app update yesterday, ALL my books disapeared too, except for the ones in the cloud.

My first thought was that Kindle with this update has changed the folder structure in the app, but I dont know... Thoughts or solutions anyone?
And I miss the boy under the tree, reading while stars are falling...
Ms Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
slidey
slidey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app
Yeah, seeing the same problem with v3.0 on my iPad. No amount of removing / re-adding gets around the error (disabling/enabling device sync and a full, clean app reinstall also doesn't help) - if you sideload into library\eBooks, it won't open , and it also doesn't display embedded covers, incidentally. If you move the epub to Documents, it all works (without sync as per usual). If you send via personal document service, it works with sync for Kindles and iOS (and probably PC) - but here's the rub (for me at least); there's no personal document service for the Android app, you just can't target an android phone it seems.

Major bummer, I used to have page sync between my two primary reading devices... an iPad and a Galaxy Nexus. Eagerly awaiting any rockstar tricks to get it back.
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Pixie View Post
The same thing happened to me yesterday! What a bummer that I had organized, tagged and sideloaded my collection a few days before ...
Carols guide of how to tag with calibre and then sideload with discaid or iexplorer worked beautifuly between my Kindle 3, iphone and ipad Kindle apps, but since downloading the latest Kindle app update yesterday, ALL my books disapeared too, except for the ones in the cloud.

My first thought was that Kindle with this update has changed the folder structure in the app, but I dont know... Thoughts or solutions anyone?
And I miss the boy under the tree, reading while stars are falling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidey View Post
Yeah, seeing the same problem with v3.0 on my iPad. No amount of removing / re-adding gets around the error (disabling/enabling device sync and a full, clean app reinstall also doesn't help) - if you sideload into library\eBooks, it won't open , and it also doesn't display embedded covers, incidentally. If you move the epub to Documents, it all works (without sync as per usual). If you send via personal document service, it works with sync for Kindles and iOS (and probably PC) - but here's the rub (for me at least); there's no personal document service for the Android app, you just can't target an android phone it seems.

Major bummer, I used to have page sync between my two primary reading devices... an iPad and a Galaxy Nexus. Eagerly awaiting any rockstar tricks to get it back.
You may want to start a new thread about Kindle App 3.0. Maybe get some solutions.

I have not updated yet so can't comment on the problem.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Ms Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
You may want to start a new thread about Kindle App 3.0. Maybe get some solutions.

I have not updated yet so can't comment on the problem.

Carol
Don't update !

Tried to put the mobis back on the ipad today with help of DiscAid, folder structure for the app is the same. No Go.
The app was flickering and acting strange and then same error messages.

Yeah, a new thread will be apropriate, all h will break lose when people update and app collections go poof.
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
slidey

Warning: Kindle 3.0 update for iOS breaks sideloading and whispersync, collections

More in this thread below, but starting a dedicated one here to draw more attention to it. A number of things break in the 3.0 update - all sideloaded content breaks and won't open throwing a "remove and re-add your books" error. If a mod could merge the last few posts from below to this new thread that'd be great!

See here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11#post2006611

Done, Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-18-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: respond to request
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Ms Pixie

Could this be Amazon's way of quietly changing permission for people to sideload their own content to the app? Maybe they want everyone to store everything in the cloud now?
It seems far fetched and im hoping its just a software fluke that will be corrected when brought to Amazon's attention, cause it sure is annoying.
I read through 3 devices constantly, my Kindle, Kindle app on iphone and ipad, and they syncing between devices is invaluable. I also dont buy all my content through Amazon, sometimes I buy from other sources, and I also get books from family members.

I wish that I hadnt updated, and unfortunately I emptied my trash bin with the old Kindle file in, so I cannot do a reversal to the 2.9 version.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Since it seems that this was recognized as a "trick" in the first place, it is perhaps not surprising that Amazon haven't carried it forward when releasing an update. Their endorsed way of accomplishing this is via the Personal Document Service which continues to work. While it may not fit the needs of all, I wouldn't expect them to go back and revisit this. Their philosophy is around simplicity, hiding users from the file system etc, it's not about power users.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
slidey

Yep, not much of a surprise, and I didn't have the expectation that sideloading would continue to work forever. I do think though if they're drawing the proverbial line, it'd be a lot better if _all_ their platforms supported the personal document service at least (and cloud would be nice too). The only reason I sideloaded was to ensure cross-platform sync on my mobi files.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Ms Pixie

Im fine if I can load books from the cloud only in the future, as long as whispersync works between my devices.
So far it has failed on non-Amazon content. However, I have not tried cloud syncing on non-Amazon books that I have tagged with Asin in Calibre and then converted to new mobi before uploading to the cloud.
Does anyone know If it works doing it that way?
So I would edit the file in Calibre, add Asin etc, convert it to the new tagged mobi, then send it from Kindle to my Kindle as well as my Kinkdle apps, using the email addresses assigned to them.
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by JoHunt; 03-19-2012 at 02:15 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
Ms Pixie

I wish there was a way I can restore to previous version...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wish there was a way I can restore to previous version...
If you have not synced your phone with your computer, you can reinstall from the app on your computer. It will be in:

C:\your name\my music\itunes\mobile applications.

If you have version 2.9 there, delete the current 3.0 app from your phone and then copy the old app back to your phone when you sync with your computer.

I usually COPY certain apps to a backup folder just for cases like this.

I would copy the app to a backup folder before you sync just to be safe.

Carol
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Ms Pixie

Maybe a silly question, but would the same thing apply for the iPad? I have not synced it yet, and on the iPhone I never updated the app dince I saw what happened to the pad app... That would be wonderul, if I can do a restore to the previous version! Im gonna try tonight! And thanks for the tip about saving some important previous versions in a back-up folder... Usually Im quite happy about updates and such but this one was a miss.

THANKS again for all your great advices Carol, they have been invaluable!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Maybe a silly question, but would the same thing apply for the iPad? I have not synced it yet, and on the iPhone I never updated the app dince I saw what happened to the pad app... That would be wonderul, if I can do a restore to the previous version! Im gonna try tonight! And thanks for the tip about saving some important previous versions in a back-up folder... Usually Im quite happy about updates and such but this one was a miss.

THANKS again for all your great advices Carol, they have been invaluable!!!
I don't have an iPad, but I imagine it would work the same. Good Luck. Glad I could help.

Carol