Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I think Onyx China is bullcraping (M90 exchange for M92)

After reading their M90 for M92 exchange event at their Chinese forum, and I made a phone call to their head quarter in China. The lady explicitly told me that it's already over and not aimed for users outside of China.

She explained they are not prepared for custom, shipping cost for M90 users outside of China thus had no intention for honoring people outside. She even told me that such an exchanging event should be initiated by Onyx-USA reseller, as they have absolutely no *control* over their reseller in USA. She also hinted that the reseller in USA is UNLIKELY to honor such exchanging due to cost, shipping, and custom. That if the USA reseller had contacted them for such an exchange event, they would very likely to do it so.

According to her, the bad service experience that us felt should be blamed to ONYX-USA instead of them(ONYX CHINA) as ONYX-USA has more direct control over such an event. She even said that ONYX-USA should be responsible for the speaker problem as they have no control over shipping that shield to USA users.

So, everything isn't their flaw, it's their resellers at various part of the globe must feel responsible for handling such event, exchanging M90 for M92, honoring warranty, etc etc etc. Are they playing innocent or part of it is true?

For those who's been dreaming about exchanging your buggy M90 for their new M92, you can now be assured that you will be stuck with your M90 forever...

Last edited by jian1; 11-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Well, all that is not so strange. Actually, it's the way things are supposed to work. When you bought your Boox from Onyx USA, you made a contract with them and not with Onyx China. If the product sold to you by Onyx USA does not meet your expectations you should go back to them to get things sorted out (rather than to Onyx China), and then it's up to Onyx USA to get things sorted out with their supplier, i.e. Onyx China. As your contract partner, Onyx USA has certain obligations to you and they cannot hide behind the fact that setting things right for you is too expensive.
So, the lady was right when she referred you to Onyx USA.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Ok. Onyx-USA, please honor us with upgrading option.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Never for a minute did I actually believe that anyone would give me a low-priced upgrade for the M90. Fortunately, of all the ereaders I have purchased, it's the only one that's a dud.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Never for a minute did I actually believe that anyone would give me a low-priced upgrade for the M90. Fortunately, of all the ereaders I have purchased, it's the only one that's a dud.
I don't even mind paying a bit more than Chinese user for exchanging, seriously, I would like to pay as high as $80 for such an exchange. See how desperate I am to get rid of this POS M90?

The Chinese lady over the phone openly admitted that M90 has tons of design flaws, mostly hardware. I supposed after the launch of M92, they are very likely to abandon M90 gradually and phase out firmware upgrading. She said new M92 comes with 1.6.1 firmware already while M90 still stuck with 1.5.1. The discrepancy of firmware is already there.

Last edited by jian1; 11-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Gradually? I'm sure they dumped that hardware like the rock it is. Unbelievable that in mid-2011 they couldn't build a decent eink ereader.Can they fix it in late 2011? That really remains to be seen.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
That is what 25 years experience in China has taught me. "Made in China" is no problem at all if it is OEM. But "Designed in China"? That is always a major gamble which is why I have stayed on the sidelines on this one for so long. In China the main work ethic is "just good enough is fine" not "get it right". And looks as if it is the right thing to do for the M92, also. Wait until you are absolutely sure (from many user reviews) that everything is ok before you jump.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
jian1
Banned

Can someone other than myself *harrass* their haedquater in China as well? The lady seems to uncare of anyone else and she hinted that, they made this event as discreet as possible to not attract attentions from abroad.

The lady went around and told me that if I were able to ship them the item during the event, they were OK to honor the exchange even if I live in Canada, and they would ship M92 back to Canada, but I missed the deadline ... no luck for myself. So.... You were willing to exchange the POS but unwilling to make an announcement over the website of ONYX-USA? Why? Fooling us around while secretly abandoning us? It's like either you were lucky to be able to read Chinese or you were neglected and doomed to stuck with M90 for your lifetime.

I bet their purposes were not to attract anyone else other than chinese users, maybe the Chinese ones complained alot to their headquarter while we were the silent sheep awaiting for slaughtering. I felt this business practice is unethical, and down-right wrong!

This is their support phone line, 4008860830. dial 011-86-4008860830 can get you through if u were a residents in North America. Hope if you got enough people whining they would finally treat us equally.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once again, jian1, you're whipping the wrong horse. Onyx USA is an independent company, not part of Onyx China. Yes, Onyx China is the company that produced and sold faulty readers, but Onyx China sold these faulty readers to Onyx USA, not to you. The only one who can try to get Onyx China to set things right is Onyx USA, so you should whine to Onyx USA.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
I have bought my M90 by ebookreaderdiscount. Yesterday I have asked them:

Dear Ebookreaderstore I have bought an Onyx Boox M90 ebook reader from you some times ago. It is still in very good condition. Can i trade in it with a new Onyx Boox M92, maybe paying an adjustment?

Their reply is arrived today

"Thanks for your email. Unfortunately we cannot do this for our customers unless you pay us €200 euro's extra. Hope you'll understand.

Kind regards"

I'm thinking to do or not this trade... maybe I can convince them to reduce this adjustment.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
longchuai
longchuai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox M90
onyx-us did not even reply me
longchuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm having a hard time understanding why so many here are beating up on the Onyx resellers. They have to buy devices at wholesale prices, and then sell those with enough mark-up to cover their costs and earn a bit of profit. If Onyx China doesn't offer them the same deal that was offered to customers within China, then the resellers would have to take back an old unit that they probably couldn't sell again for anywhere near the original price, and then sell a new unit for an upgrade fee that is probably much less than the wholesale price they would have to pay to Onyx China to get the new model. They would end up losing money from their own pockets on each upgrade. It's no wonder they don't even bother answering these requests.

The problem isn't the resellers. They are stuck with bad products just like the consumers are. I suspect most of them are too small to hide these losses within their operations like, say, Amazon can.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #13
Zetmolm
Guru

@rkomar: Resellers are still responsible for the quality of the products they sell. If they sell you a bad product, it's their responsibility to compensate you somehow, and it's their job to sort things out with their suppliers.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
I really was looking forward to buy m92 which will be my first EReader. I did like their support to Arabic which i use in my research. I was going to buy the pocketbook 903 or 913 but M92 has a better display and faster Ram and cheaper . Now, this comments kind of put off and i am really confused. Pleease advise.
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Seller's responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
@rkomar: Resellers are still responsible for the quality of the products they sell. If they sell you a bad product, it's their responsibility to compensate you somehow, and it's their job to sort things out with their suppliers.
If the seller is big enough - otherwise they do not have sufficient leverage.
This is a very volatile situation in the 9.7" segment. Right now it is only a very small segment of the market. Many have been waiting for these readers(I for one) and in the rush for these basically unknown products the customer seems to function as a guinea pig.
On the other hand: the customer has a responsibilty too. Why buy an untested product from an unknown company?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote