Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #18901
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Rereading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #18902
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Rereading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.
An excellent series of books. I really enjoyed them.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #18903
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm currently reading "The Founding Fish" by John McPhee. A wonderful book about the natural history of the American shad, shad fishing, and bits of shad social history.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #18904
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Loyalty In Death (J D Robb) this morning. I enjoyed it. Read like a thriller.

Currently reading Twelve Drummers Drumming (about 70% done) on the Kindle Keyboard. Listening to A Christmas Carol (Tim Curry) in the morning with my coffee. Starting Book 2 of the Diskworld series called The Light Fantastic in audiobook. On hold with Dresden Files until the audio for book 6 comes in from library.

In January, I made a good dent on unheard short stories and novellas in my Audible library. Still have plenty to go, but I always forget how much I do enjoy a shorter work.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-06-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #18905
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Still on the serial (half way through the third part). I must admit I'm impressed. A fascinating solution to the problem of the amount of time required for interstellar travel.
I liked the serial. The rest of the magazine was good, but not outstanding.

Next up: Twisting the Rope by R. A. MacAvoy. The sequel to "Tea with the Black Dragon". My oldest bought, unread, ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #18906
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Just finishing up Monster Hunter International, and will begin Monster Hunter Vendetta sometime today. I really enjoyed the book, it's fast paced and full of action, and of course killing monsters .
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #18907
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Appointment With Death", by Agatha Christie. This was her 31st book, and was originally published in 1938.

Holidaying in Jerusalem, Poirot overhears Raymond Boynton telling his sister: You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed? Their stepmother, Mrs Boynton, is a sadistic tyrant who dominates her family. But when she is found dead on a trip to Petra, Poirot proposes to solve the case in twenty-four hours, even though he has no way of knowing whether it was murder.

This book, like several others, is based on Christie's travels in the Middle East with her archaeologist husband, Sir Max Mallowan.

An excellent book. The main location for the book of Petra really enhances the atmosphere. The book was made into a film starring Peter Ustinov as Poirot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #18908
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters, and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to more in the series. Meanwhile, I've been listening to Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee, and reading The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein. I'm really enjoying both, but especially The Steerswoman. Highly recommended, even though you'll have to wait for eBook versions of the rest of the 4 books in the series.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #18909
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Just finishing up Monster Hunter International, and will begin Monster Hunter Vendetta sometime today. I really enjoyed the book, it's fast paced and full of action, and of course killing monsters .
!! Now back to one of the 4 others I have begun. I think maybe I'll finish Ruddy Gore next.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #18910
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
!! Now back to one of the 4 others I have begun. I think maybe I'll finish Ruddy Gore next.
I just finished reading Ruddy Gore and next I'll finish reading Indemnity Only.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #18911
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Twisting the Rope by R. A. MacAvoy. The sequel to "Tea with the Black Dragon". My oldest bought, unread, ebook.
An excellent follow-up to the "Tea with the Black Dragon" fantasy mystery it was too. I wish there were more. (It was also my last unread purchased ebook from 2003 and earlier!)

Next up: Dragon's Eye by Christopher Stasheff from the February 2014 Baen Monthly bundle. One of three left of my 2014 purchases (neglecting large series purchases).

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-09-2014 at 10:51 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #18912
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've just started crime/thriller book Hades, by Candice Fox. Decent writing so far, though if child victims freak you out excessively this is not the book for you.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #18913
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have just started reading book #2 in the Star Wars Old Republic series Deceived.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #18914
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The English Assassin by Daniel Silva. Great read!

Now, thanks to you lot, I can't decide what to read next. Will it be Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters or Dover Beach by Richard Bowker? You people make too many great recos and I can't decide.

Okay, okay, maybe that's a good thing. I mean you can't have too many great reads, right? Shoot, this isn't working out like I planned.

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-08-2014 at 12:17 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #18915
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Crocodile on the Sandbank's destination is completely predictable, but the journey is a lot of fun. I just finished the sequel, The Curse of the Pharaohs, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, Elizabeth Peters (real name: Barbara Mertz) died 6 months ago, but left a wealth of enjoyable reading material to her fans. I hope to read all 19 of the Amelia Peabody novels eventually.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote