Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #16
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
May be, you should charge the device to avoid to kill the battery even if it looks frozen.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #17
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
OK. Well, it does look pretty easy to take apart ... but will that void my warranty?

Still no word from Booxtor.
Hi,

don't panic
first of all please disconnect all the cables from M92.
Press reset
Try to power on the device and watch the LED. Does it blink three times blue - your battery is completely discharged and need to be charged. Try to charge it on your PC instead of wall charger - it could be defective.
If you have a replacement battery - just try to substitute the old one. If you open your device carefully it does not affect your warranty. Just avoid to not touch the PCB.

Does the blue led light for 5-10 second and the screen keep display frozen picture - your M92 must be send to service. It has most likely a problem with the screen. If the screen is not broken it is a warranty case and could be repaired fast.

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-13-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

don't panic
first of all please disconnect all the cables from M92.
Press reset
Try to power on the device and watch the LED. Does it blink three times blue - your battery is completely discharged and need to be charged. Try to charge it on your PC instead of wall charger - it could be defective.
If you have a replacement battery - just try to substitute the old one. If you open your device carefully it does not affect your warranty. Just avoid to not touch the PCB.

Does the blue led light for 5-10 second and the screen keep display frozen picture - your M92 must be send to service. It has most likely a problem with the screen. If the screen is not broken it is a warranty case and could be repaired fast.
Hi Booxtor!

Here's my preliminary report (I did this pretty fast this morning before leaving for work):

1) M92 disconnected from cables. Pressed Reset. Pressed Power at same time and watched LED - no light appeared: no orange, no blue. Same frozen screen.

2) M92 connected to computer. Pressed Reset and Power - LED went orange when I attached the cable to the computer but with buttons pressed saw small blue light behind the orange blink 3 - 5 times. Screen frozen.

Note: I made the assumption that I should be pressing Reset and Power at the same time since that's what I've read in other threads, but maybe that wasn't the right thing to do.

Screen was frozen throughout. I have left the unit connected to my computer for the day. Maybe the E-Reader Gods and Goddesses will be kind to me.

I don't have a backup battery. Not sure whether getting a backup battery or sending the unit in for repair (screen is not broken) is best ... would disconnecting and then reconnecting the current battery be likely to do anything?

Thanks,

/GB
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. It's been charging (or at least, has been connected to my computer) since yesterday morning. No change.

When I first connect it to the laptop, I get the orange LED. But that's it. After it's been sitting for a while, that goes away.

Booxtor, I think I'd better get ready to ship this to you, unless you think there is anything to be gained from opening it.

/G
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Yesterday my M92 froze ... it stopped responding to any buttons (including the "power on/off" button) and the screen was displaying the last visited ebook's page ...
I have found that the following sequence of actions does a "hard-reboot": first press the reset button in the hole on the back side of the M92 (I kept it "pressed" for something like 5 to 10 seconds, just to be sure) and then, immediately after you "release" that "reset button", press the standard "power on/off" button in the bottom of the device (just a short "click" is enough).
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
chexmix
Zealot

Tried this 5x. No response from the device.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A proposition : have you tried to reset like Pepe_alter_ego without the SD card in the device ?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
chexmix
Zealot

Yes -- I tried it both with and without.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Have you tried to disconnect and then reconnect the battery?
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Randy11
Wizard

I agree, you could try this. Booxtor said that you can try a replacement battery.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
chexmix
Zealot

I can try to disconnect and reconnect the battery today at work -- I brought a small screwdriver, etc.

I don't have a replacement battery. I suppose I could try to figure out whether one might be available locally. I'd rather not wait for a replacement battery from Germany if 1) I can get one here and/or 2) the device's symptoms don't indicate a battery change would help.

Like everything else on-screen, the battery charge indicator is frozen. In its case, it is in a sort of greyed-out state.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi again,

you are not supposed to press reset and power button at the same time.
Reset - just to be sure the device has been switched off.
Dont connect it to PC or walcharger - we have to know how the blue led at power on behave
- either blinks three time or no blue led at all - battery is empty and possibly too empty - must be either charged or replaced (if charging does not work, don't throw the battery away - we can revive it for you).
- blue led goes on for ca. 10 seconds, but the screen keeps to be frozen - the screen is most likely defective and the device must to service.

Don't try to press all those buttons at the same time - it will not work. I know only two combinations: [ok + power] - starts update. ["-" + power] - sets the device in service mode (don't do that)

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-14-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #28
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi again,

you are not supposed to press reset and power button at the same time.
Reset - just to be sure the device has been switched off.
Dont connect it to PC or walcharger - we have to know how the blue led at power on behave
- either blinks three time or no blue led at all - battery is empty and possibly too empty - must be either charged or replaced (if charging does not work, don't throw the battery away - we can revive it for you).
- blue led goes on for ca. 10 seconds, but the screen keeps to be frozen - the screen is most likely defective and the device must to service.

Don't try to press all those buttons at the same time - it will not work. I know only two combinations: [ok + power] - starts update. ["-" + power] - sets the device in service mode (don't do that)
OK. I opened the device, disconnected the battery then re-connected. Screen frozen throughout.

1) With the unit disconnected, pressing the power button, I get no LED at all.

2) 'ok + power' -- is 'ok' the reset? I don't know another button. If so, that doesn't do anything.

3) If '-' + power is bad, well, I already tried that one because someone on these forums recommended it as a 'hard reset.'

I have to add that I had a hard time getting the back panel on correctly. It still isn't quite right, but I'm afraid of messing with it too much.

Sorry for all the bother and thanks to all for all the help. Believe me, I wish something was working.

/G
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
is 'ok' the reset?
'ok' refers to joystick press
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
'ok' refers to joystick press
OK. Tried that and no response. At least not with the thing unplugged from any power source.

I'm stumped, folks. Based on Booxtor's last post, I seem already to have pressed button combinations I should not have. This makes me nervous to try anything else.

I emailed ereader-store.de to ask whether I could ship the unit in for service.

Last edited by chexmix; 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.