Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #31
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
If it's not a bit faster, then I guess I've had too much coffee too ... and I don't drink coffee.
Maybe we're both having a stroke...
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBroki
Hi guys,

What about SD power drainning ?
I haven't seen anything on it specifically, but I'm pretty sure that at least some increased power drain is unavoidable for memory card usage (SD and MemStick both), since the cards have to draw power in order to operate. I don't know how much room they have to play with on that (we've seen reports here on MR that the extra drain seems to vary with card brands), for all I know, they may already be up against the efficiency limits of the cards themselves.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #33
MikiBroki
MikiBroki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
It's strange, I copied my books to the internal memory and droped my Kingston SD 512mb two weeks ago... and no more power drainning when the Reader is off (I haven't update yet).

Last edited by MikiBroki; 02-09-2007 at 04:59 PM.
MikiBroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #34
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I tell you what, after the update my batter power from one notch down went two notices down........ yikes, doesn't make sense. Either way maybe from looking at the three pictures I put on there, thinking I would see them in color only to find the color is on the connect software only. charging the battery now..
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
It's pretty easy to extract the content of cramfs.Fsk.img and cramfs.Rootfs.img (see attached files). Likewise, it would probably be easy to replace the images with our own images, meaning that this way we could also flash anything we want to the Reader. The checksum file would have to be adjusted, or, if we couldn't find out the checksum algorithm used, the flash executable would have to be patched to ignore wrong checksums.
Holy $DEITY.
What a find.
I wonder what would happen if we replaced file
/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf
in cramfs.Fsk.img
with the one that supports non-english language. Like Russian, or Latin 2, or ...
I am pretty sure that Igorsk or other *senior hacker* here will find out very soon.

The other image seems to be a *complete* working Linux filesystem with man pages, editors, pagers, network tools, and even perl 5.6.1. Please notice file cksum - could it be the tool for creating checksums? ;-)
It looks like Sony has provided us with many things to play with.
Name of file /usr/sbin/arm_920t_le-initdconfig, for example, could tell us, exactly what processor the device is using.

I also wonder who will be the brave soul willing to risk bricking the Reader by applying the patched patch ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #36
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I guess you didn't read my "reader internals" thread.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #37
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
No clock? I demand a clock!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least, we have the original files to flash it back to, kacir.

@Aprilbeginnings -- I think Laurens was cracking wise about the color thing -- My pix have displayed in color in the ConnSoft from the beginning, at any rate.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
Excellent! This is a good start. Put a partial complete on my request for the update status to be more obvious.

Could be my imagination, but the page turn/ refresh on the device seems a little faster... Maybe I've had too much coffee today.
Coffe speeds you up if you feel the reader is faster then you're slower or tired.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist

So, not enough coffee, you're saying? That might be.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #41
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Aside from the Vista functionality, not much of an "upgrade."

Be nice if Sony would add functionality to the Reader like they do to their PSP. Heck, the PSP has had over 26,000 firmwares since it was released.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #42
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
Aside from the Vista functionality, not much of an "upgrade."

Be nice if Sony would add functionality to the Reader like they do to their PSP. Heck, the PSP has had over 26,000 firmwares since it was released.

Heheh. Find a way to crack the copy protection on the Reader and I bet you'd see a *real* quick firmware update ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #43
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
At least, we have the original files to flash it back to, kacir.

@Aprilbeginnings -- I think Laurens was cracking wise about the color thing -- My pix have displayed in color in the ConnSoft from the beginning, at any rate.
I can't remember now for sure if they displayed color from the beginning or not.

I do know this. My page turning isn't any faster than before. Figured I would just add this hear instead of a new line of talk, LOL....
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #44
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
It's pretty easy to extract the content of cramfs.Fsk.img and cramfs.Rootfs.img (see attached files).
There is a cramfs for FUSE so you don't need to extract those images you can just mount them.

To use the Sony flasher I think we'll need to find the version string. I seem to recall the Librie flasher wouldn't flash you unless you had a higher version number firmware to flash into the device...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #45
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Well, for what it's worth, I updated my Reader. Heck, it even remembered where I was in my book, and kept track of all my bookmarks.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote