Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
peachykeen
peachykeen began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Purchased books not showing up after syncing

I have purchased books in the past with no issues, but this last book is causing some grief.
I purchased the book, opened the Desktop application, updated the Library and synced the device.

The first time I tried this, the book did not appear - all the other books I was reading were still on the home page.

I tried resetting the device with a paper clip. Then I signed out of the website and desktop application and syncing it again.

Now - ALL my purchased books have disappeared . The only books I can see are the 100 free books that came with it.

I can see the purchased books in the online account, in the desktop application . I have tried syncing on another computer to no avail. ( so it's not the application itself)

Does anyone know what else I can do?
peachykeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykeen View Post
I have purchased books in the past with no issues, but this last book is causing some grief.
I purchased the book, opened the Desktop application, updated the Library and synced the device.

The first time I tried this, the book did not appear - all the other books I was reading were still on the home page.

I tried resetting the device with a paper clip. Then I signed out of the website and desktop application and syncing it again.

Now - ALL my purchased books have disappeared . The only books I can see are the 100 free books that came with it.

I can see the purchased books in the online account, in the desktop application . I have tried syncing on another computer to no avail. ( so it's not the application itself)

I assume you have version 1.4. There is an option to show whatever
you like. My bet is that you have chosen to see only 100 free books.
So, change it to "all" or your books, depending on what you see in
the menu. Search it by author or the book name then.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Quote:

I had the exact same problem you did and struggled for many weeks to fix it, doing everything you described with the Kobo support rep on the phone. Finally on my second call to Kobo they said I had a defective unit and I should exchange it for a new one. I have not had a chance to get to the store to do that yet.
I hope this helps.
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
peachykeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I assume you have version 1.4. There is an option to show whatever
you like. My bet is that you have chosen to see only 100 free books.
So, change it to "all" or your books, depending on what you see in
the menu. Search it by author or the book name then.
I do have version 1.4. I have seen the option to choose either My Books or the pre loaded books, but my purchased books do not show up anywhere. I've searched for it by author, book name and clicking the correct option...so that isn't the answer.

I hope I don't have to return the KOBO, it would be a hassle!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
LeahWarner
LeahWarner began at the beginning.

I had the same problem and tried everything under the sun to try to fix it with no luck - I was lucky that I was heading into the city (I live in a rural area no where near a Chapters) and had to exchange mine...so far so good with the replacement Kobo. Good luck!
LeahWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
peachykeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahWarner View Post
I had the same problem and tried everything under the sun to try to fix it with no luck - I was lucky that I was heading into the city (I live in a rural area no where near a Chapters) and had to exchange mine...so far so good with the replacement Kobo. Good luck!
Thank you Leah and Dorey.
So how long did you have your device before replacement? I bought mine in May, I hope they let me replace it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
The same thing happened to me. I couldn't add any books and calibre wouldn't look at the device. Syncing didn't help and anything I added to my sd card simply didn't show up on my reader.

This is what I did to restore my Kobo after going through this forum and looking for suggestion.

1) Initially I didn't care about the free books
I connected my kobo to my computer. Opened the device via my computer, went into the ".kobo" folder. Renamed the "koboreader.sqlite" file (I called mine koboreader.sqlite.old) and then ejected the kobo.

The kobo then restarted and created a new database which was empty of books. I resynced via the desktop application and returned the books I bought to the kobo (none of the initial free books were there of course). I could add new books and it recognized the books on my sd card.

2) Then I decided I wanted the free books back.
I found this thread and everything worked like a charm to restore my kobo to the day I first turned it on.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789

If I was to do it again I would just restore it to the original database (the link above).

That was a couple of weeks ago and I have adderd, subtracted and used my kobo about 4 hrs a day since then. Everything still works fine.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 08-27-2010 at 02:58 PM.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
Quote:
Thank you Leah and Dorey.
So how long did you have your device before replacement? I bought mine in May, I hope they let me replace it.
Hi, I purchased my in May also, the first weekend they were available, I think. The exchange at the store was no hassle whatsoever, despite being 3 months later. AND, we didn't have the receipt anymore but they didn't care. One of the advantages of having the product only at the Chapters stores

I was told by customer service on the phone support line that another method to exchange is to have one sent by post at their instruction, but it would take several weeks. So, going to the store to exchange is the most efficient.

The Kobo we have now after the exchange is working like a charm, even with purchased books.

Good luck!
Dorey
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
peachykeen

Thanks everyone

I emailed KOBO about the problems, tried their suggestions to no avail.
They then sent me out a prepaid package to I could courier the KOBO back to them and sent me out a new KOBO within 2 days.

The new reader works just fine, I am very happy. I didn't need a receipt or anything, I guess since it is a relatively new product, it isn't more than a few months old at the most.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
NexusNow
NexusNow began at the beginning.

Where are my books?

I just got the Kobo and am using Calibre software w/ it to convert ebooks to Kobo compatible epub files. I have been able to get about 50 of my own books onto the unit, but haven't been able to get any more onto it. When I check the units files going into the Kobo (F drive when it's attached to my computer, I see that the new epub books are showing up as being stored on the Kobo, and yet they dont come up as accessible to me on the unit. Are they possibly corrupt? anyone else have this issue? Thanks for any advice. John, NYC
NexusNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusNow View Post
I just got the Kobo and am using Calibre software w/ it to convert ebooks to Kobo compatible epub files. I have been able to get about 50 of my own books onto the unit, but haven't been able to get any more onto it. When I check the units files going into the Kobo (F drive when it's attached to my computer, I see that the new epub books are showing up as being stored on the Kobo, and yet they dont come up as accessible to me on the unit. Are they possibly corrupt? anyone else have this issue? Thanks for any advice. John, NYC
Could be something with books naming. Stay with ascii as close as possible.
Or even more, reduced ascii. Numbers, letters, dot... Even more, check how
meta data where named and change them accordingly.
Of course, might be something else. How much space has left on the device?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote