Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Converting Encarta Dictionaries to Mobipocket Tutorial

I've read a few threads about free Mobipocket dictionaries. One or two of them were mentioning Encarta dictionaries from Microsoft.

They're in MS Reader LIT format and available at http://www.microsoft.com/reader/down...ctionaries.asp.

You need to convert it to Mobipocket format to use it on for example iRex Iliad or DR1000.

Step 1. Download the dictionary you want and Convert-LIT program.
Step 2. 'Explode' the dictionary file with Convert-LIT.

-> in MS-DOS prompt run "clit.exe msebdict.lit dictionary/" (with no brackets)
-> it'll take a minute and a few new files will come up, among others: an .opf and an .htm files.

Step 3. Run Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition. Open you .opf file. Click 'Book settings' on your left. Check "This eBook is a dictionary" and select appropriate input/output languages. Click Update and then Save. Close the program.

Step 4. Open your dictionary's htm file in UltraEdit (or in any other plain text editor that can handle big files). We need to set proper mobipocket tags now.

-> Click Search --> Replace -->

Code:
Find What: <div>
Replace With: <idx:entry><div>
Click "Replace All."
Code:
Find What: </div>
Replace With: </div></idx:entry>
Click "Replace All."
Code:
Find What: <b>
Replace With: <b><idx:orth>
Click "Replace All."
Code:
Find What: </b>
Replace With: </idx:orth></b>
Click "Replace All."
Save your file. It'll take a minute.

Step 5. Download mobigen and in MS-DOS prompt run:
mobigen msebdict.opf (or any other file .opf file.)

When it's done a new .mobi file will come up.

Step 6. Upload it to your Iliad/DR1000/Mobipocket Reader and you have a fully functional Microsoft Encarta Dictionary.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Nice find! I too had converted this .lit dictionary (several years ago) to my own reader's .imp format, and had also used extensive search & replace.

However, it is not a dictionary for Mobipocket use. It's just an ebook.

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I must try this now!

EDIT: BTW, I also converted the Foreign Translation-type dictionaries available at the microsoft link you provided. Did you try converting those to Mobipocket dictionary form?

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-29-2008 at 08:49 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks. I confirmed this worked for the English dictionary.

For those who prefer not to use the command line: I used "ConvertLIT GUI" to explode the LIT file (step 2) and reopened MobiPocket Creator on the .opf file and selected Build with standard compression and no encryption (step 5).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I tried converting German-English dictionary. The tags look different in it but it's doable. There are no <div> tags but there are some other ones you could find and replace.

I managed to convert it, although I got some errors while using mobigen. And I lost most of the formatting. But if you play with it for a while I'm sure you'll be able to preserve it.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worked Great!

I used Mobipocket Creator to build .prc instead of mobigen. Will this make a difference?

When I had originally converted this .lit to .imp, I had tweaked the <style> section used, inserted a better TOC and placed each letter on a new page.

The images below are from my .imp conversion done several years ago. See how they compare to this .prc version.

p.s. I recently updated the 1913 Webster's Dictionary, but did not build it as a dictionary. Now I know how and will update it using your search and replace technique. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp01.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	18452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp02.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	18453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp03.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	18454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp04.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	18455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imp05.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	18456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi01.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	18457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi02.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	18458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi03.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	18459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi04.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	18460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi05.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	18461  

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-29-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow. Thanks a lot. Worked like a Charm. Great Dictionary.
Kudos.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

It works perfectly as explained.

To word of advice:

1 - do not try to open the html file with notepad, it does not work, one as to get a text editor that opens big files;

2 - compact the final mobipocket version of the dictionary with the “high compression” option and not just the standard one. It gets you a half size file (3.5 Megs instead of the 7.5 Megs), without any speed cost (tested in the desktop, laptop, pocketpc and Cybook mobipocket readers).

One warning if you try option (2): it will take time to compress the file, even in a powerful computer.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
In order to be able to search the index (i.e. type in the word to look up) you need one further tweak. Add a Guide item - Title : Look Up Word, Type : Find, and put in Onclick : "index_search('', 'Alphabetical lookup', '', 'none')".#

This gives the ability in Mobipocket reader to click on "Contents, Look Up Word" for the search entry box. It also works on my BeBook.

I got rid of the included TOC as it's really redundant with a search (and is messy to use on my BeBook anyway.

BTW A good Free editor that will handle the 16Mb HTML file is PFE (Programmers File Editor)

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In order to be able to search the index (i.e. type in the word to look up) you need one further tweak. Add a Guide item - Title : Look Up Word, Type : Find, and put in Onclick : "index_search('', 'Alphabetical lookup', '', 'none')".#

This gives the ability in Mobipocket reader to click on "Contents, Look Up Word" for the search entry box. It also works on my BeBook.

I got rid of the included TOC as it's really redundant with a search (and is messy to use on my BeBook anyway.

BTW A good Free editor that will handle the 16Mb HTML file is PFE (Programmers File Editor)

BobC

Ok, I read the Mobipocket "how to" here; so is it like this line, that can be added to the .opf:
Code:
<guide> <reference type="Find" title="Look Up Word" onclick= "index_search('', 'Alphabetical lookup', '', 'none')" /> </guide>
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Ok, I read the Mobipocket "how to" here; so is it like this line, that can be added to the .opf:
Code:
<guide> <reference type="Find" title="Look Up Word" onclick= "index_search('', 'Alphabetical lookup', '', 'none')" /> </guide>
Yes - all that I mentioned just generates an entry like this in the .opf.

The thing I haven't figured yet though is why the dictionary doesn't participate in the Reader Multi-Dictionary search.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
Quote:
They're in MS Reader LIT format and available at http://www.microsoft.com/reader/down...ctionaries.asp.
The link doesn't work anymore

hannah
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah View Post
The link doesn't work anymore

hannah
Try this link!

It's the same as the above with an "x" appended. Microsoft re-organized their website and now that link is http://www.microsoft.com/reader/down...tionaries.aspx .
Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
thank you very much
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
cyberd00d
cyberd00d began at the beginning.

Device: none
HELP!!! I tried to convert the GE-EN dict, and it's giving me error about duplicate entries~~
cyberd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
dmaddock1
dmaddock1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
FYI, in case anyone is still trying to convert these. The "duplicate entries" error message is due to the "id" attribute in the tei-ms:entry tags. You can make Mobipocket Creator happy by searching and replacing them. For instance, I moved them into the div tag.
dmaddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote