Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #31
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
As I said above, it's not only important which apps you'd like to have, but also due to which functionalities. You should always consider that it might be possible to implement features into the existing firmware with less effort than porting the whole Android OS ...

And until now e.g. nobody tried explaining why ezPDF is so great and why we need it so desperately. Just start coming to terms and don't always complain about the lack of functions without actually naming a single one.

The only thing that's clear to me at the moment is that several people own or owned a Kindle and want to read their Kindle books on their Boox device. But for that they'll need the Kindle app. Unfortunately, this seems to be unsolvable for the old Kindle book format. It might be solvable for the new Kindle book format (which is based on HTML5).

However, nobody would really take the time to port Android just because of the Kindle app. Believe me, if I really desperately needed Android, I would start reading stuff about it and try to learn how to port it to a third-party device. But at the moment you do extremely poorly at trying to convince me and other potential developers...

Last edited by tuxor; 03-05-2012 at 05:11 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #32
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Sure, I am more interested in functionality of applications than in applications.

It is easier to look at finished applications with good workflow and define demand on software to be developed. It is waste of time to 'design the wheel', if someone has already done it.

So, I entered this dicussion to see, what functionalities are needed. If we know, what would be nice to have, we might find the way to have it.

You seem to be a developer, so you know that (generaly) most of the work in sw development is to find out what to program. The actual programming is then (in most cases) quite easy and straightforward. The art of programming is to decide what to program, how it should behave so that work with program is smooth and efective.

Of course, there are types of programs where you need special algorithms, lots of math, huge volumes of data and so on. But it is minority and not our (M92) case.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #33
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

At first, I'm a M92 user (order is placed and my device is going to arrive in the next few days). Please note, that I'm a more or less untalented hobby coder - not more. So if I decide to write more than a single line of code for this device, I want it to give a good return.

Again: If you want to convince anybody in this whole world with programming abilities to port Android to the Boox series of devices you need to name real _reasons_. Not only stuff like "would be cool to have android", "there is this certain app I'd like to have".

A developer makes the decision between contributing to Onyx' official open source firmware or trying to port Android. And to make this decision he definitely needs concrete information about _feature_ requests, not _app_ requests. Of course, it's helpful if you name a concrete app that already has this feature, but the name of the app without a single feature is not very helpful.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm ranting so much. You obviously already got the point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Sure, I am more interested in functionality of applications than in applications.
But others should really start talking about functionality _and_ about applications. (Unfortunately I can't contribute to feature requests myself at the moment since my M92 is still about to arrive.)

Last edited by tuxor; 03-05-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #34
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
If you include me in "Others" you are wrong, I never hoped it will be possible to port Android and I also said is easier to improve what we have
I made my suggestions for quick and easy to do changes, I have a thread in this sense and some of them are quoted in the wiki page.
So who are the others...?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #35
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
At first, I'm a M92 user (order is placed and my device is going to arrive in the next few days). Please note, that I'm a more or less untalented hobby coder - not more. So if I decide to write more than a single line of code for this device, I want it to give a good return.

Again: If you want to convince anybody in this whole world with programming abilities to port Android to the Boox series of devices you need to name real _reasons_. Not only stuff like "would be cool to have android", "there is this certain app I'd like to have".

A developer makes the decision between contributing to Onyx' official open source firmware or trying to port Android. And to make this decision he definitely needs concrete information about _feature_ requests, not _app_ requests. Of course, it's helpful if you name a concrete app that already has this feature, but the name of the app without a single feature is not very helpful.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm ranting so much. You obviously already got the point:

But others should really start talking about functionality _and_ about applications. (Unfortunately I can't contribute to feature requests myself at the moment since my M92 is still about to arrive.)

You are not the first contributor in this thread to go overboard with enthusiasm concerning a device you don't even own.
Some people post like crazy in the first two weeks they use their reader, only to be never heard of again.

It has been posted several times before:
for serious work you have to have at least some functionality of a PC or tablet.
That means in my case: PDF-reader/annotater, clipboard/multiple clipboard, notes application/Evernote, scribbles/notes, simple writing application, basic web-access to look up Wiki-entries.
Easy task-switching to be able to use the programs ergonomically.
This is not much to ask - despite of that not available.
And will not be available in the near future.
So porting the whole damn thing to Android seems to be more rational, because all the apps are already available.

If you plan just to read some PDFs, be part of an open source project, play with you reader for endless hours to find out how to operate the device - you will be one of the many happy customers in existence ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #36
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post

If you plan just to read some PDFs, be part of an open source project, play with you reader for endless hours to find out how to operate the device - you will be one of the many happy customers in existence ...
that's me excepting the redded part of the text
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #37
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Quote:
That means in my case: PDF-reader/annotater
Beryll Snyder,
annotations into TOC -> work in progress
Quote:
notes application/Evernote
I'm a OneNote-fan, but come on. Instead of demanding such things, someone should think about changing his workflow (or get a tablet). I also can't demand from a F1 to be a good vehicle for everyday use.

This tool is about reading. If you find something important, mark it with a simple line. After reading transfer the PDF to the PC and do whatever you want.

Quote:
scribbles/notes
Is there.
Quote:
, simple writing application
For what? That you can demand e-mails afterwards?
Quote:
, basic web-access to look up Wiki-entries.
Is there.
Quote:
Easy task-switching to be able to use the programs ergonomically.
WIP.

Quote:
And will not be available in the near future.
But Android not either.

WIP should be not too far in the future to become finished.
Quote:
So porting the whole damn thing to Android seems to be more rational, because all the apps are already available.
In the meanwhile we have learned in this thread, that it's not a simple task to implement Android, but also the apps usually must be tweaked.

Quote:
If you plan just to read some PDFs, be part of an open source project, play with you reader for endless hours to find out how to operate the device
Why this?

I don't understand, why you are ignoring the informations about the (great) things in development, as if they were not existant.

Last edited by Defenderland; 03-05-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #38
tuxor
Addict

@Beryll Snyder:
Unfortunately I don't get your point. As Defenderland pointed out correctly, most of the features you'd like to have are already there or in the making. And (as Defenderland pointed out, as well) this thread's conclusion for now is, that it's not at all rational to port Android, if there are no huge advantages to expect from that...

And I think, I understand now that Beryll Snyder is the only person that really insists on porting Android. Reading the thread again from the beginning I see that all other participants in this topic are generally more sceptical.

Last edited by tuxor; 03-05-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #39
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Just to make situation clear, I was never a fan of porting M92 to android.

My aim was to learn about useful applications for linux as a base for possible definition of our needs and definition how to implement them in current/future M92 firmware.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
In the meanwhile we have learned in this thread, that it's not a simple task to implement Android, but also the apps usually must be tweaked.

Why this?

I don't understand, why you are ignoring the informations about the (great) things in development, as if they were not existant.
How can you say this? The only real competent persons to make that clear would be someone from Onyx - but they are incomunicado.

As far as the "great works in progress" go, you have neither a timeline nor specifications as to what they are up to.

It was even mentioned to hire freelance programmers.

Please don't confuse your hopes/expectations with facts ...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
@Beryll Snyder:
Unfortunately I don't get your point. As Defenderland pointed out correctly, most of the features you'd like to have are already there or in the making. And (as Defenderland pointed out, as well) this thread's conclusion for now is, that it's not at all rational to port Android, if there are no huge advantages to expect from that...
If you go through the list you can notice that this is simply not true - and "in the making" can mean many things.
It actually surprises how somone who does not even has any practical experience with this reader knows exactly what a perfect product the M92 is or will be shortly.
There is a reason why the vast majority of people who need to read PDFs prefer tablets ...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #42
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Quote:
How can you say this? The only real competent persons to make that clear would be someone from Onyx - but they are incomunicado.
Booxtor is in contact with them and he has confirmed the list.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
Booxtor is in contact with them and he has confirmed the list.
where did he confirm that, I asked that here and I did not get any reply
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #44
Mono
Mono

@Beryll Snyder:
If you want 10" eink reader with android buy one. That's the best advice I have for you.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #45
Defenderland
Groupie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
where did he confirm that, I asked that here and I did not get any reply
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=253