Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #661
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
word in other threads (kindle forum) is that K touch has a faster processor than K3 - & that e.g. dictionary searches are much quicker. no word on how much faster in percent terms though
Here is some good info that others have posted in my thread.

To summarize, Kindle 4 (keyboard) is assumed to have the same cpu as Kindle Touch. And K-4 is i.MX50 family of cpus. And we still don't know what PRS-T1 has. Some say TI, but 950 was supposed to be Freescale as well.

Thank you for your help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96#post1762896

Last edited by azxswq; 09-30-2011 at 07:55 AM.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #662
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i preordered Kindle Touch 3G but I may cancel, depending on how the T1 pans out. Sony's not really a bookseller.. I wonder if it would be possible for Sony to focus on the hardware, but provide sort of an android e-ink reader that people can put all sorts of reading apps on (Kindle, B&N, Google books, etc). I would love something like that, and maybe the T1 will be able to do that with some creative modification?

It would be nice if Sony actually went in that direction though. Or is that a completely harebrained idea?
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #663
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Sony is a bookseller, their current devices are about as tied to their own store as Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. Your dream might be achieved by... Pocketbook?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #664
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Sony is a bookseller, their current devices are about as tied to their own store as Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. Your dream might be achieved by... Pocketbook?

eP
I didn't mean that they don't sell books. but they really aren't booksellers in the way that B&N and Amazon are.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #665
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
i preordered Kindle Touch 3G but I may cancel, depending on how the T1 pans out. Sony's not really a bookseller.. I wonder if it would be possible for Sony to focus on the hardware, but provide sort of an android e-ink reader that people can put all sorts of reading apps on (Kindle, B&N, Google books, etc). I would love something like that, and maybe the T1 will be able to do that with some creative modification?

It would be nice if Sony actually went in that direction though. Or is that a completely harebrained idea?
I agree about Sony. They are not at all known as a bookseller, which is why Amazon owned the market from Kindle 1, Day 1.

With all the speculation about Android, I hadn't realized this meant every possible book reader could be made for the device. Do B&N, Kindle and Sony Reader apps all have Android incarnations?

What you are talking about is breaking the Device/Store lock-in that exists on all devices. I fully advocate such a break, and think it's absolutely terrible it has continued this long. Damn iTunes/iPod all to hell for it! (And irony of ironies, the iPod plays tons of formats even though they popularized this lock-in model.)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #666
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post

The T1 has the ability to buy from the Sony Store and download free books from Google Books and your public library, directly from the device.

It also has the ability to download non-DRM epub and pdf files directly, through the browser (so one should be able to access MR books, as well as Smashwords and Feedbooks and other non-DRMed sources).

How well all this is implemented remains to be seen, but it does seem that Sony is pushing for openness more than any other ebook reader maker/ebook provider.

It's not a perfect world yet - but Sony's garden has the lowest wall of all of them.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #667
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
What you are talking about is breaking the Device/Store lock-in that exists on all devices.
Not really "all" devices. The Sony, Nook, B&N readers support ePub, so while they do have their own book stores, any ebook you buy that supports ePub with Adobe DRM is going to work.

Although, if I did have an ePub device I would probably stick with Google books which gives you browser based reading and ePub device based reading.

The only true lockins are with the Kindle and the iPad iBooks. Of course, iPad will run the Kindle app and the B&N app and the Kobo app.

Amazon also provide the Kindle reader on many devices and the new Kindle Cloud reader will support. So, you can take your Kindle books to more devices than just the Amazon built Kindles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #668
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not really "all" devices. The Sony, Nook, B&N readers support ePub, so while they do have their own book stores, any ebook you buy that supports ePub with Adobe DRM is going to work.

Although, if I did have an ePub device I would probably stick with Google books which gives you browser based reading and ePub device based reading.

The only true lockins are with the Kindle and the iPad iBooks. Of course, iPad will run the Kindle app and the B&N app and the Kobo app.

Amazon also provide the Kindle reader on many devices and the new Kindle Cloud reader will support. So, you can take your Kindle books to more devices than just the Amazon built Kindles.

BOb
Well, yes and no. I'm a bit of a stickler in terms of lock-in.

The two largest book stores are lock-ins, with iTunes being another lock-in (don't know how they rate in book sales). While Adobe DRM is supported on the Nook, that's a one-way deal; can't read a B&N purchase on the Sony.

So the atmosphere is really really clouded when it comes to Device/Store capabilities. We need our devices to become DRM and Format Agnostic across the board. I would dearly love to buy books from Amazon, for example, but I have a Sony Reader. Yes, I could crack DRM, but I hate Calibre's ePub conversion... and let's face it, most people don't know how to deal with DRM; either a device reads the book or it doesn't.

If the Sony Reader had open Android, and you could install the Sony, Kindle and B&N apps on it, it would then be "format agnostic." Not the best way to do it (no DRM and one agreed-upon format is the best), but it would be the first Reader that truly has no lock-in limitation at all.

-Pie
Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #669
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
We need our devices to become DRM and Format Agnostic across the board.
This would be nice, well actually dropping DRM and having a standard format to rule them all the way DRM mp3's seem to be the norm. Although, I think iTunes still serves up AAC files rather than MP3... but at least they are DRM free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #670
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've had a sony reader for years, but never bought a single book from Sony. Sony uses ADE, so I can buy pretty much where ever I want.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #671
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, I could crack DRM, but I hate Calibre's ePub conversion...

-Pie
so tweak it - it is easy to do. I buy from amazon, convert + read on Sony, tweak all books ( via sigil) to look exactly as want them to - easy peasy.

+ I would never buy an e-book that I could not edit - show me an e-book with zero typos / format errors & I'd be gobsmacked...

Last edited by cybmole; 09-30-2011 at 03:52 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #672
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so tweak it - it is easy to do. I buy from amazon, convert + read on Sony, tweak all books ( via sigil) to look exactly as want them to - easy peasy.

+ I would never buy an e-book that I could not edit - show me an e-book with zero typos / format errors & I'd be gobsmacked...
Can you get a header on every page telling the book title and chapter number? Think LRFs from Sony, which had a small-font header on the top right of each page.

AFAIK, this cannot be done except by hand. And I'm probably the only who makes it work.

I too am a tweaker... uh, the ePUB kind!... but to get what I want is not at all easy or peasy! And the garbage generated by Calibre is just horrifying to work with.

-Pie
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #673
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Can you get a header on every page telling the book title and chapter number? Think LRFs from Sony, which had a small-font header on the top right of each page.

AFAIK, this cannot be done except by hand. And I'm probably the only who makes it work.
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would be interested to know how you've done that, even if it's just an outline of your method. Do you, perhaps, use some kind of generated background image?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #674
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would be interested to know how you've done that, even if it's just an outline of your method. Do you, perhaps, use some kind of generated background image?
This sounds like a Perl or PhP script job. Maybe my CompSci skills will come in handy... still, very happy with my T1 decision. (Actually non-decision, by not cancelling my pre-order after K-Touch announcement/release.)
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #675
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's pretty ugly. BUT I AM WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES!!!@@!$!!

I'll outline it, and maybe post my files later. I don't get full credit for this; I took the initial from another mobileread thread, and then customized it till I have the whole thing nailed down.

Basically it requires a custom "page-template.xpgt" which the ePUB spec actually says not to use. Ever. Hah! Then I am required to insert the header tag after every paragraph in the ePUB. You read that right. After every paragraph!

1) Copy page-template.xpgt to the ePUB OEBPS directory.
2) Add a special class in the CSS for the header. This places the tagged text into the header.
2) Add a reference to the page-template.xpgt to the header of every single content file, but after the CSS.
4) Pick your text. My Preference: "Book Title -- Chapter."
5) Add the tagged text after every </p> in each file.

This technique works on the Sony, but not on iBooks. Apple iBooks actually prints the whole header tag after each paragraph. Ugly!

The advantage of the "page-tempate.xpgt" is that you can customize margins, as well as insert a header and footer. I like a little whitespace for margins, even though it's not the most efficient use of screen space.

And every ePUB I make passes epubcheck perfectly.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 09-30-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs