Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Buttons issue

I have a minor issue with the buttons not working when the DR is plugged in. The stylus continues to work fine, and since I use that about 90% of the time anyway, it isn't much of a hindrance.

But I was wondering, has anyone else come across this glitch?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Are you charging via a PC USB connection or with a stand alone USB charger? I've seen a couple cases where certain brands of stand alone chargers have caused some weird things to happen with the DR.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I have a minor issue with the buttons not working when the DR is plugged in. The stylus continues to work fine, and since I use that about 90% of the time anyway, it isn't much of a hindrance.

But I was wondering, has anyone else come across this glitch?
I have a similar problem. When charging from a USB cable (not the one that came with my DR1000S), the buttons become unresponsive, but if I press them for a long time they work. Curiously, the same thing happens if my DR1000S is just sitting on top of my laptop and not charging. Must be something to do with the capacitive buttons which, all in all, probably don't add anything to the device.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
sthorpe
sthorpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
More likely an EMC/EMI phenomenon. Immunity issue between reader and non-approved charger.

I've made a career fixing and preventing these types of problems.
sthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I have a similar problem. When charging from a USB cable (not the one that came with my DR1000S), the buttons become unresponsive, but if I press them for a long time they work. Curiously, the same thing happens if my DR1000S is just sitting on top of my laptop and not charging. Must be something to do with the capacitive buttons which, all in all, probably don't add anything to the device.
I guess that's related to EMI (eletro magnetic interference) generated from USB cable or laptop. I've once had my DR under fluorescent light, and the high EMI from the light made the capacitive sensor unusable.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Are you charging via a PC USB connection or with a stand alone USB charger? I've seen a couple cases where certain brands of stand alone chargers have caused some weird things to happen with the DR.
I use this gizmo
from the ereader outfitter site.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I bought the same charger from eReaders also. It made the DR do strange things. I took an old usb cord and cut it to expose the wire, and I measured only 2 volts out of the charger. The DR needs 5 V. Jeff at eReaders is supposedly looking into the problem. The car charger I bought produced not response from the DR. I guessing the voltage was too low to be detected by the DR.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am

That's weird because it does charge the DR reasonably well.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
I have the same problem. Thank you for the message, so I know that my reader is not damaged.

I think that idea using cap sense buttons is not the best. I have to take care all the time to avoid pressing the buttons by coincidentally.

I am asking all developers to think about this idea and may be develop short program:

Cap sense buttons should only act at double quick touching the button, otherwise its functionality will be ignored. So user will be able to carry the reader at the cap sense place and they will not be activated. They will be activated just in case of double click

Even the currently hold press can be replaced by triple click.

Thank you.

Last edited by jbbebg; 03-05-2009 at 02:06 AM.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
I bought the same charger from eReaders also. It made the DR do strange things. I took an old usb cord and cut it to expose the wire, and I measured only 2 volts out of the charger. The DR needs 5 V. Jeff at eReaders is supposedly looking into the problem. The car charger I bought produced not response from the DR. I guessing the voltage was too low to be detected by the DR.
A lot of the stand alone USB devices/chargers do not follow the USB power spec very well. That can cause all sorts of weird problems if you use them with a device that is expecting the correct power levels.

Somebody should start keeping a list of the brands/models of stand alone chargers that work well with the DR and which don't. Maybe a wiki page on here?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Same porblem with my new one. First charge with the irex-usb-cable = no problem. Second charge with the usb-cable of my htc-touch = unavailable sensor buttons during the charging. Next test: charging with the original cable again.

BTW - second charge only to 89%...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
BTW - second charge only to 89%...
I've seen similar reports (only 80+ % total charge) on the iRex forums from other people trying to use "non-standard" chargers.

IMO, the best results seem to come from using a PC USB cable to charge the device. When you start using the stand alone chargers that came with other devices (which weren't designed for the DR), you start seeing lots of problems.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Personally I think the whole 80% charge is really because of how a LiOn battery works, it needs special circuitry to keep track of how much charge it is holding and sometimes that mechanism can get out of whack. Although in theory it is not good to discharge a LiOn battery fully it is the only sure way to recalibrate the charge-circuitry and with the new 1.5FW there was also an upgrade of that battery circuitry firmware from what I understand.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Yeah, iRex did say that after the latest update it will take a couple charge cycles before the battery calibration gets reset again. I think some people are experiencing problems beyond that initial period though. In most cases, it seems to be solved by switching chargers.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I'm practically convinced that the maximum charge of 89 % is a bug in the firmware. In other words, the code for the math is 10 units off. I have arrived at that suspicion based on the amount of charge left and the number of bars in the battery indicator.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote