Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So... I need to brood? Great. My "brood" just comes off as "angry."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #32
Marj
Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Hi David, I'm convinced you're right there. I actually did an experiment on Authonomy (Harper Collins writers' site/'slush pile) putting up a nondescript work with a much more interesting 'author.' I pulled it off after only 10 days, but in that 10 days, it soared up the ranks. And I've noticed the authors who get TV interviews and such are always attractive. Where does it leave the ordinary, unattractive utterly brilliant ones (like me?)
Marj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Appearances are everything on the web nowadays. However, with a little effort and work, I believe one can project the right image. And that image doesn't have to be attractive (on the web). On TV, maybe.

Hugh Hefner called them props. For him it was a pipe and a fast car and a smoking jacket and... a few girls. Hugh was, among other things, an author.

For other successful authors it might be a hoodie, or a big scraggly beard, or a bandaid over one eye, or a black Tuxedo. Point being, the projected image must be strategic and well-thought-out.

It's obviously a very powerful thing to have a profile image that is, at once, personal to you as an author and surprising enough to stick out from the pack.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfleming View Post
Appearances are everything on the web nowadays. However, with a little effort and work, I believe one can project the right image. And that image doesn't have to be attractive (on the web). On TV, maybe.

Hugh Hefner called them props. For him it was a pipe and a fast car and a smoking jacket and... a few girls. Hugh was, among other things, an author.

For other successful authors it might be a hoodie, or a big scraggly beard, or a bandaid over one eye, or a black Tuxedo. Point being, the projected image must be strategic and well-thought-out.

It's obviously a very powerful thing to have a profile image that is, at once, personal to you as an author and surprising enough to stick out from the pack.
So I guess its official, I need to get rid of my garish Hawaiian shirts and flops, and make myself a fantasy costume out of red fabric?

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #35
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
So... I need to brood? Great. My "brood" just comes off as "angry."
That is the tricky part, isn't it? People have very little patience for complaining on the web. Perhaps good author "brooding" should follow the rules of "show/don't tell" i.e. a profile pic that really shows what a "deep" thinker one is, expose his/her wartorn soul, etc. Like this guy -> minus the big yellow, round face.
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So I guess its official, I need to get rid of my garish Hawaiian shirts and flops, and make myself a fantasy costume out of red fabric?

Honestly, that sounds like it might be worth, at least, an A/B marketing test.

None of us can really say what will work in advance. It's just too complex. I think we just have to "test and track".
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #37
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
If "brooding" means look like a miserable old sod, I can do that...

mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #38
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

You see! I just clicked on your blog and checked out your books! It must work. People are interested in people.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #39
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
speaking simply as a reader, i don't care what an author looks like. the authors i like look like the kinds of people who should be writing sword&sorcery and zombie novels lol. i'm a nerd so its ok if they are too .the one thing that is guaranteed to turn me away from an indie novel is a goofy pen name. it doesn't happen very often but when it does its a doozy. your ww2 alternate history tale about zombies vs robo-nazis might be a great read but if its published under the name Satan Demonseed or Rain Mourningdove i'll never know because that screams 'bored teenager' or 'talentless goth whose only writing experience is in their journal' to me.

cover art is important too. i'd rather they use a theme appropriate public domain image than hand their kid paper&magic markers or let their dog try their paw at photoshop. i shouldn't feel embarrassed for the author but it does happen quite regularly. that space ship might have looked sweet in a pc game from 1991 but its 2012 and you're trying to be thought of as a serious author.

Last edited by xg4bx; 03-10-2012 at 01:52 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post

Sounds good to me! As long as it is sufficiently modest, and fun, why not?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Perhaps good author "brooding" should follow the rules of "show/don't tell" i.e. a profile pic that really shows what a "deep" thinker one is, expose his/her wartorn soul, etc. Like this guy -> minus the big yellow, round face.
Okay, I'll see how much I can look like a brooding smiley-face. (Maybe I can induce jaundice...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #42
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
As a reader, I actually kind of prefer not to see the authors, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure I've never BOUGHT a book because I saw the author's face, but I can imagine NOT buying one because of a face.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Honestly, that sounds like it might be worth, at least, an A/B marketing test.

None of us can really say what will work in advance. It's just too complex. I think we just have to "test and track".
Also lets me have some fun with the more interesting GIMP scripts. I figure since I write fantasy, I might as well have a little fun.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
About physical books...

Lots of people still want a physical book.

I was wondering if anyone has had success selling their own physical books on Amazon Marketplace and the B&N marketplace, Ebay, Abe books. etc.

(These marketplaces are very different that you as a publisher selling books to the vendor at 50% off retail price and you have to pay for shipping. Gack!)

Instead, with the marketplaces, you are selling your books basically the same way most dealers sell used books. The book will show up in book listings and lots and lots of people still want a physical book. By using Marketplace, Amazon takes less of a cut (I think about 20-30%) and you get a percentage of the $3-4 shipping they charge. Plus you don't have to deal with shipping to Amazon warehouses, etc. The downside is that you have to physically ship the books yourself with each sale.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
About physical books...

Lots of people still want a physical book.

I was wondering if anyone has had success selling their own physical books on Amazon Marketplace and the B&N marketplace, Ebay, Abe books. etc.

(These marketplaces are very different that you as a publisher selling books to the vendor at 50% off retail price and you have to pay for shipping. Gack!)

Instead, with the marketplaces, you are selling your books basically the same way most dealers sell used books. The book will show up in book listings and lots and lots of people still want a physical book. By using Marketplace, Amazon takes less of a cut (I think about 20-30%) and you get a percentage of the $3-4 shipping they charge. Plus you don't have to deal with shipping to Amazon warehouses, etc. The downside is that you have to physically ship the books yourself with each sale.

My print books are available on Amazon due to my POD (lulu.com) has a deal with them already. All the shipping/etc is covered and it shows up in Amazon's listing as "fulfilled by Amazon" and even works with Prime free shipping.

I assume other POD companies do the same. Much cheaper/easier then trying to keep an inventory of your own.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epublishing tactics, indie publishing, tips and tricks