Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
They might have tried to discourage it and blatantly lied in the process, but they didn't ever take someone to court and fine them for taping a handful of songs off the radio though, did they?
Not really the same thing, but lots of people were prosecuted in the UK for swapping bootleg videos in the post when horror films were made illegal. Like with the internet, they scoured classified adverts in magazines looking for them.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
If charging a guy $190 for what his ex-wife admitted to doing seems like a great idea to you, then I think we're at an impasse and aren't going to agree.
It's not his ex-wife. It was his wife. (I think the article said soon-to-be-ex-wife).

I don't see a justice issue with giving the guy a small fine after three warnings when his home computer was used by his wife.

But I really don't understand the $11 billion dollars. At all. That's a *huge* amount of money and I really can't understand what they have found to spend it on. The *entire tax revenue* of my state (population 6 million) for one year is about $13 billion.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Regardless to whether it was his wife or ex wife, she should have been the one punished not him.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #34
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
But I really don't understand the $11 billion dollars. At all. That's a *huge* amount of money and I really can't understand what they have found to spend it on. The *entire tax revenue* of my state (population 6 million) for one year is about $13 billion.
Techdirt recently said (here) that it costs 12 million euros a year to run Hadopi.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #35
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Techdirt recently said (here) that it costs 12 million euros a year to run Hadopi.
That makes a *lot* more sense. (Not that what is true and what makes sense are always in alignment.)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What Duck?
Yes! What Duck?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
According to French media, €12 million is the 2013 budget request. But we are now in the ballpark.

Quote:
Here's an info graph that shows the before and after effects of Hadopi:
No evidence concerning books.

I know that English speakers are adopting eBooks more quickly than French speakers, so book statistics probably are not yet available.

My evidence-free suggestion is that readers are, on average, more risk adverse than the music and video crowd, in part because of being older. A Hadopi type of law should work better with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
$190 is ridiculously lenient.
I would have chosen a lower amount, but this seems fair to me.
Quote:
If they extradite him to the US and leave him to the tender mercies of the **AA, he'd be paying $600,000 for sharing 12 songs.
You may be conflating criminal and civil proceedings. You can't get extradited because you were sued by a trade group.

As for $600,000, I don't know where this amount comes from, and the RIAA lawsuits stopped several years ago.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote