Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Chuckels550
Chuckels550 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Win7 64 bit 1.4 Upgrade pooched Kobo Desktop App

When I ran the Kobo 1.4 Upgrade, the kobo device upgraded with no problems. However, the desktop application now fails to launch. When I try to launch it, I get a cryptic Kobo application error.

The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b). Click OK to close the application.

My operating system is Win7 64 bit Home Premium. I would just reinstall the application, except that I don't have access to a version 1.4 Kobo Desktop software.
Chuckels550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If your computer still recognizes the Kobo (a Win 7 problem for some, I think), you should have a folder called 'Desktop Installers' which has Mac and Windows desktop software.

Failing that, you could try http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.exe which many others have used.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Chuckels550
Chuckels550 began at the beginning.

Resolved

Thanks! As expected, all I needed to do was reinstall the software.
Chuckels550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I had the exact same issue and had to reinstall the software as well
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
From what I have read, 99.999999 percent of those who have installed "64 bit" have absolutely no reason to do so ... they are merely believing that "Well, 64 must be better than 32 ... " as they install Win 7.

I do not mean to insult anyone who KNOWS what they are doing and might have the five or six apps that actually take advantage of 64-bit Windows 7 ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
From what I have read, 99.999999 percent of those who have installed "64 bit" have absolutely no reason to do so ... they are merely believing that "Well, 64 must be better than 32 ... " as they install Win 7.

I do not mean to insult anyone who KNOWS what they are doing and might have the five or six apps that actually take advantage of 64-bit Windows 7 ....
The major benefit of using 64 bit is that it allows you to use more than 3.58GB of RAM, which is the limit that 32 bit Windows can address.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:

This sort of comment is distinctly unhelpful. If everybody had that kind of attitude we'd all still be using windows 95. Don't blame consumers for installing a more modernized version of the operating system. Blame the software developers who write shoddy software for it. The operating system itself works fine.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... This sort of comment is distinctly unhelpful ...

No - that comment is reflective of tens of thousands of tech support calls to Microsoft from folks who do not know much about their systems. The benefits to the VAST MAJORITY of consumers of 64-bit Win7 over 32-bit are non-existent. The HEADACHES and CRASHES of those who blindly install 64-bit are all over the Windows support forums.

Clint Bradford
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I have 8gb of ram... hence the need for a 64bit OS.
'nuff said
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
I don't do windows so forgive the ignorance - 32bit Windows doesn't do PAE?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
>> ... This sort of comment is distinctly unhelpful ...

No - that comment is reflective of tens of thousands of tech support calls to Microsoft from folks who do not know much about their systems. The benefits to the VAST MAJORITY of consumers of 64-bit Win7 over 32-bit are non-existent. The HEADACHES and CRASHES of those who blindly install 64-bit are all over the Windows support forums.

Clint Bradford
I'm not here to argue with you over the merits of 64-bit windows. Regardless of your feelings on the subject, how is trashing 64-bit going to help somebody in this forum? Nobody is going to re-install their operating system because the Kobo programmers couldn't be bothered to make software that works properly.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:

I do it (win7-64)to support the 12gb of memory in my desktop. (And, yes do I regularly make use of upwards of 8gb of ram.)

Kobo apps works fine for me. So does most everything else.

Last edited by techie42; 07-12-2010 at 01:44 PM.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... Regardless of your feelings on the subject ...

I do not report "feelings." I report what the reality is on this. And reality is is that for the vast majority of consumers, there is no benefit to 64-bit over 32-bit in their everyday lives. It is KNOWN to cause grief for most who do not know what they are doing, and blindly believe "Well, 64 MUST be better than 32."

SOURCE: Windows 7 Compatibility Center, several cNet articles, PCWorld Magazine.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
FWIW: I use Win 7, 64-bit, and my Kobo desktop app works just fine after updating to 1.4. It recognizes my Kobo. But, I downloaded my one DRMed book to Adobe Digital Editions and loaded it onto the Kobo from there. Other books go through "calibre."

I also try to run a very "lean machine" as much as that's possible these days, because I found that it was hard to tell what was conflicting with what.

So, basically, who knows what the problem is? Unless you sit down with THAT COMPUTER and futz around with it, you can't really say. (I have a running joke with the IT guy at work that, whenever my computer acts up, "It must be that unapproved screensaver messing things up.")
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
46% PCs worldwide running Windows 7 64-bit edition

32 bit is on the way out as it should be. Enough said.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote