Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
eidolon5861
eidolon5861 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Free Book Download! Help needed converting...

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so go easy on me

I just got my first eBook reader today, and saw an article in the Economist recommending this book (free!) which is basically considered the The Freakonomics of conservation, climate and energy. It apparently debunks some big myths.

I downloaded the PDF, tried converting it with Calibre but it just looks horrible (some pictures overlap text, etc). The standard PDF is also pretty much unreadable on my Sony as the writing is just too small. However, the site also has the book in HTML format, so that may be of some use.

My question is this: Is there anyone on this site who is any good at converting PDFs or HTML into a nice eBook reader format?

I don't seem to have the knack for it yet, and I don't really care which format, as the Sony seems to support most of them. I'm really looking forward to this book as it seems to debunk a lot of common ideas on solving global warming.

Site link: http://withouthotair.com/download.html

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Last edited by eidolon5861; 04-16-2009 at 09:58 PM.
eidolon5861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Why not use Calibre to convert the HTML instead of the PDF? Should be much better.

According to Calibre's site:
"In order of decreasing preference: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, TXT, PDF"
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Checked the site, the choices are pdf and postscript. There does not appear to be an html format available.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
eidolon5861
eidolon5861 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the replies. I'm not good enough at Calibre yet to know how to do HTML, but I suppose I'll learn soon enough

For those that are interested, here is the book in HTML format: http://withouthotair.com/Contents.html
eidolon5861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you were to try to convert this, ePub would be the best format in this case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert