Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Ok. i like the idea of simple. Dont want to spend more time editing than reading lol
How do I disable downloading of tags and will it affect adding the books to ereaders? As sometimes the covers will not export.

But then if i disable I wont know the genres of lots of books to type in. As lots of the books I have now are new authors to the ones I usually read and I would not maybe know the genre Even Amazon doesnt seem to display it anywhere.
Ereading introduces me to lots of books I would never have discovered As I am more into thrillers.

Love your quote
Go to prefrences> then metadata download in calibre. From there you can set metadata download however you want. Disable downloading tags completely or restrict to 1 or 2. Disable sources you dont want to get tags.
I only download books that I find out and will be reading so generally know what way I will categorize a book cant help you with that. Although selecting prefer fewer tags and restrict number of tags to download 1 or 2should make them manageable for you
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #17
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Go to prefrences> then metadata download in calibre. From there you can set metadata download however you want. Disable downloading tags completely or restrict to 1 or 2. Disable sources you dont want to get tags.
I only download books that I find out and will be reading so generally know what way I will categorize a book cant help you with that. Although selecting prefer fewer tags and restrict number of tags to download 1 or 2should make them manageable for you
Thanks. Will make a coffee and try that now. Snow outside so a good day to do it

Was given lots of free epubs so don't know what lots of them are yet.

By the does changing the metadata not affect the book when I add it to my ereader?

Last edited by book64; 01-16-2013 at 05:27 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I never use the downloaded tags. I prefer my own and limit them to just one genre plus a few utility tags like store if not Amazon.

For my kindle unread books go on my home page, read books go into a Collection by Authors' name or General Genre
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I never use the downloaded tags. I prefer my own and limit them to just one genre plus a few utility tags like store if not Amazon.

For my kindle unread books go on my home page, read books go into a Collection by Authors' name or General Genre
But the does changing the metadata not affect the book when I add it to my Kobo and Android ereaders?

On the ones that are already on it too?

Last edited by book64; 01-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
But the does changing the metadata not affect the book when I add it to my Kobo and Android ereaders?

On the ones that are already on it too?
It depends, I think. My Sony will make collections on the device according to the Calibre tags. I like this so I've never looked into how to stop it from doing that. As far as how the books looks or reads, it should make no difference.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
It depends, I think. My Sony will make collections on the device according to the Calibre tags. I like this so I've never looked into how to stop it from doing that. As far as how the books looks or reads, it should make no difference.
Thanks Just didnt want to change metadata on 1,000 books and have to do it all over again

Remember reading somewhere that if you change the metadata you have to run all the books through the conversion process again! Surely not
All I want to do is add a couple of tags to each book so I can find them!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Thanks Just didnt want to change metadata on 1,000 books and have to do it all over again

Remember reading somewhere that if you change the metadata you have to run all the books through the conversion process again! Surely not
All I want to do is add a couple of tags to each book so I can find them!
If you change the cover you have to convert to get it to update on the book, the metadata can be changed without having to convert.

If you want to keep the downloaded/existing tags for reference, you can create a custom column for your own genre tags.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
...Remember reading somewhere that if you change the metadata you have to run all the books through the conversion process again!
For epubs use the Modify Epub plugin and select only update metadata, no conversion necessary.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #24
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If you change the cover you have to convert to get it to update on the book, the metadata can be changed without having to convert.

If you want to keep the downloaded/existing tags for reference, you can create a custom column for your own genre tags.
This is all getting way too complicated for me lol
Dont know how to create a custom column and use it

Got 1000 books in calibre and the same to add at some point
But unless I know the author I don't know what they are about lol So well stuck!
Just want a simple solution
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #25
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My genres/collections are:

Classics
Female
Historical
Horror
Humour
Juvenile
Romance
Sci Fi/Fantasy
Shorts
Summer
Thrillers/Detective
Writing etc

Explanation of some categories:
The "Female" category includes books aimed at female-empowerment; "Historical" includes both historical novels and non-fiction. "Juvenile" contains mostly classic children's books; "Shorts" involves mostly short fiction; "Summer" is a category I created because I like reading books set on tropical islands etc; "Writing etc" has in it anything I find related to writing, and also some other non-fiction.

In the past I've had sections such as: The French Revolution; Egypt, when I've found myself with several books of that type on my ereader (Tale of Two Cities; The Scarlet Pimpernel series..).

Hope this helps with ideas.
Looking at your post again can I ask are all these under the Tags column? Mine have the ones that come with the books and there are lots not in any order at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	99538  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
This is all getting way too complicated for me lol
Dont know how to create a custom column and use it

Got 1000 books in calibre and the same to add at some point
But unless I know the author I don't know what they are about lol So well stuck!
Just want a simple solution
In Calibre, click the "Preferences" icon at the top, then another icon towards the top of that screen will say "add your own columns." Then click the green "+" on the far right and do your thing.

I added my own column, the "yes/no" style (you'll see it there) so that I can mark a book as read with a green check mark once I've read it. Then at a glance to the list I can see what I've already read.

Last edited by banjobama; 01-17-2013 at 07:32 AM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
In Calibre, click the "Preferences" icon at the top, then another icon towards the top of that screen will say "add your own columns." Then click the green "+" on the far right and do your thing.

I added my own column, the "yes/no" style (you'll see it there) so that I can mark a book as read with a green check mark once I've read it. Then at a glance to the list I can see what I've already read.
thanks so much

Its that simple then lol Get lost when I here about plug ins and stuff.
Just want basic and easy. Filed your answer away for future reference.

Decided that the Tags columns can do it's own thing, but good to refer to if I need to know what kind of book it is. I find free ones all over and by the time I get to read wont know what they are lol
Tried changing the tags but only did 20 and had enough.

So I have followed your instructions and created a Genre column.
So do I now type in thriller biography etc and thats it?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
book64
Love reading

Question

Set it to only download 2 tags but no change at all.What am I doing wrong?

Thought was doing well creating my own genre column (seemed a good idea) and started typing in thriller romance etc.

But then read somewhere I have to do if differently hierarchy or something?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I also use tags with genres. The word, fiction, is eliminated since it just isn't descriptive. However, you can start by separating fiction from non-fiction.

Even though the Men are from Mars... book has been now classified as a work of fiction (authors made up much of it), I would normally classify it as non-fiction. If you have a lot of non-fiction, then put it under self-help.

I put the Sharpe collection by Bernard Cornwell under Adventure. This is one of MY examples of books that I struggled to figure out how to classify. I have very little general fiction that doesn't fit in Adventure, Crime & Thriller, Mystery, Sci FI, Fantasy, Paranormal, Horror, Craft, Western or Cooking so it just lays in the the category of General Fiction. For your "Lovely Bones" perhaps you want a Drama category?

In my Mystery section, I now have so many mysteries that I added a category called Cozy Mystery to differentiate amateur sleuths from professionals primarily because a family member prefers the cozies. Sometimes you just have to combine stuff. I found it impossible to separate crime from thrillers. Since Mom and I are the only ones who read crime and thrillers, it's a nonproblem.

The biggest problem that I have is that when I do a group download of metadata, it always includes all these genres that I don't want to use. I finally figured out how to clear it en masse using Calibre so I don't have to use any bad language. Consider looking at the metadata to see what categories are used to give you ideas for sorting.

Finally, don't waste your time resorting. Spend it reading. Generally, people reread only a handful to maybe a few hundred books EVER. So, spend your time fixing these up in a personal library rather than trying to endlessly organize a bunch of stuff you may never read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

The biggest problem that I have is that when I do a group download of metadata, it always includes all these genres that I don't want to use. I finally figured out how to clear it en masse using Calibre so I don't have to use any bad language. .
Thanks for all that Very helpful How are you doing the above?