Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
jrsonyreader
jrsonyreader began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRS-650
COMMUNICATION error with NOOK

I have a NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH (with Glow Light). CALIBRE recognizes the NOOK
( the DEVICE icon shows up) but when I click on "show books in main memory of device", nothing shows up. Then when I try "adding books from a single directory", I get the following message:

ERROR COMMUNICATING WITH DEVICE

Thanks for any help.
jrsonyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Have you tried navigating to the files on your Nook via Windows Explorer just to verify that it is a Calibre issue and not an issue with your Nook? Have you tried plugging it into a different usb port? I like to make sure there are no hardware issues before I start looking at the software.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
jrsonyreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
Have you tried navigating to the files on your Nook via Windows Explorer just to verify that it is a Calibre issue and not an issue with your Nook? Have you tried plugging it into a different usb port? I like to make sure there are no hardware issues before I start looking at the software.
The books (epub) are in the Nook subfolder "Digital Editions". Also there is no problem with the USB port. I just do not understand why I am having this problem!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
jrsonyreader

I copied my books to a different NOOK subfolder (in Windows Explorer), namely:
NOOK --> MY FILES --> BOOKS. I could then add these books to CALIBRE.

However, the books appear without their covers. Furthermore, I cannot EDIT METADATA. When I click to open one of the books, it opens in ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS & the book appears with its cover.

The books will not open in CALIBRE because they are LOCKED by DRM.
That is basically the situation. I should mention that I was able to transfer these books to my NOOK where I can read them but they appear in my NOOK without covers! I was hoping to get covers for them via CALIBRE. However, as mentioned above, I cannot EDIT their META DATA
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsonyreader View Post
I copied my books to a different NOOK subfolder (in Windows Explorer), namely:
NOOK --> MY FILES --> BOOKS. I could then add these books to CALIBRE.

However, the books appear without their covers. Furthermore, I cannot EDIT METADATA. When I click to open one of the books, it opens in ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS & the book appears with its cover.

The books will not open in CALIBRE because they are LOCKED by DRM.
That is basically the situation. I should mention that I was able to transfer these books to my NOOK where I can read them but they appear in my NOOK without covers! I was hoping to get covers for them via CALIBRE. However, as mentioned above, I cannot EDIT their META DATA
The folder 'Digital Editions' WAS created by Adobe when you registered your device. and is the place ADE puts (registered) DRM books..
Doing something about them is up to Apprentice Alf ()
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsonyreader View Post
I have a NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH (with Glow Light). CALIBRE recognizes the NOOK
( the DEVICE icon shows up) but when I click on "show books in main memory of device", nothing shows up. Then when I try "adding books from a single directory", I get the following message:

ERROR COMMUNICATING WITH DEVICE

Thanks for any help.
I'm having the same problem with my Nook Tablet. It played well with Calibre until the latest Calibre update; now, I'm experiencing the exact symptoms you described.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to post the full error message, got by clicking the show details button on the rror dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote