Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Genres into genres

I'm very new in that forum and also with ebookreaders...

Is it possible to generate genres within genres - like a tree?

eg:
History -> American
Fantasy -> Dragons
Fantasy -> Vampires

Or could this be done by Calibre and the feature "Catalog"?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This is not a Calibre feature I use myself but this is the relevant part of the User Manual
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is not a Calibre feature I use myself but this is the relevant part of the User Manual
Sorry I have to be more precise: I want genres with subgenres on my Sony PRS-T1.

Is this possible?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware that any Sony model has the ability to do nested Collections.

You could try a fudge using composite genre names in a single Calibre field, e.g. History-American, in the Tags field or your own #genre column.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware that any Sony model has the ability to do nested Collections.

You could try a fudge using composite genre names in a single Calibre field, e.g. History-American, in the Tags field or your own #genre column.
Your suggestion is exactly how I name my collections using dashes to separate the words Genre - Subgenre, e.g. History - American. That way at least they sort alphabetically together as a group.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
salines
Zealot

Thanks a lot jackie_w and Bookworm_Girl.
I will give it a try with "History-American"...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Your suggestion is exactly how I name my collections using dashes to separate the words Genre - Subgenre, e.g. History - American. That way at least they sort alphabetically together as a group.
I do the same, thus;

Science Fiction - Military
Science Fiction - Series
Science Fiction - Warhammer 40K

Fiction - Military
Fiction - Historical

and the last for my wife...

Romance - paranormal
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
TAG_Keri
TAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: sony PRS-T1, Prs350, Kindle3Gwifi, MiGear
and the last for my wife...

Romance - paranormal
Hmmmmm.

We believe you.

TAG_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Would I lie to you
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Thanks for posting this link. I made use of it
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote