Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
smiffe
smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smiffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Reccomended reader/tablet?

Hi all.

I've been considering getting into e-reading for a while, and with all things considered, I feel that now's the best time as any. I'm mostly looking at a $200 budget, $260 at max, and I intend on using the device to expand my books and my digital comics collection (I've used Comixology in the past with my iPhone, and I'd love to continue using it if I can). Extras, at this point, are pretty much icing, but not really a must. So far, I've looked at the Nook HD and the Kindle Fire HD, but I feel some opinions would be best, and any additional options are welcome.
smiffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
How about the Nexus 7? http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Agree profusely.

While I can't comment on the Nook HD, I had a regular Kindle Fire for all of one day before I returned it. It is so locked down as to be ridiculous and seems more than a little condescending.

At $199 for an ad-supported Fire HD vs the same price for a Nexus 7, the fight is nowhere close to being fair.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 12-20-2012 at 01:26 AM.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just FYI - seems the $200 Nexus 7 16GB is not actually available from Google, or other retailers. So, price is $250 for Nexus 32GB (plus shipping & tax) vs $200 for the KFHD 16GB. The difference is significant. Also, the Amazon closed UI may not be too much of an issue if you can run the software apps you need and when you look at the screen quality and speaker differences. Try to test out both.

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
While I can't comment on the Nook HD, I had a regular Kindle Fire for all of one day before I returned it. It is so locked down as to be ridiculous and seems more than a little condescending.
If you think the Fire was locked down you definitely wouldn't like the Nook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just FYI - seems the $200 Nexus 7 16GB is not actually available from Google, or other retailers. So, price is $250 for Nexus 32GB (plus shipping & tax) vs $200 for the KFHD 16GB. The difference is significant. Also, the Amazon closed UI may not be too much of an issue if you can run the software apps you need and when you look at the screen quality and speaker differences. Try to test out both.
The comparison of devices wasn't defined by availability and the Nexus 7 can be had from lots of brick and mortar outlets.

That said, let's even it out by price and gigabytes.

Nexus 7: $249

Fire HD: $249 with adverts, $264 without.

Considering the OP's main interests of reading and comics, $249 or $199 as it were can fetch a much better device in terms of usability without all the ads.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
For anyone interested in ComiXology, the Nexus is a much better option. The Kindle Fire ComiXology app does not include DC comics (they show up on the purchase tab if bought on the web and in "my comics" once downloaded but nowhere else).

Nexus 7 is a better choice for comics.

You also get access to the Dark Horse app without sideloading.

Last edited by Lemurion; 12-20-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added DH
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Kobo Arc worth a look.screen spec as good as nexus ,good processor,google cert.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I've had the original Kindle Fire and a friend of mine has the Nook tablet (previous model). Both are very much locked down.

I now have the Nexus 7 and it's the best 7" Android tablet in my book. Very zippy, very sexy, clean design, great screen, great price, and you can install all reading and library borrowing apps on it: Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Overdrive, and non-US book sellers' apps if you are so inclined.
The Nook and KF simply don't let you do that, unless you are willing to tinker with them - which you shouldn't have to.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Youbenicenow
Youbenicenow began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc
I think that the Arc is better than the Nex 7 if only because my hands do not get tired holding it. I have small hands and find I can only get about 1 hour without my hands aching. Perhaps it is the plastic frame around the Arc that helps. I don't know Other than that, the Arc and Nex 7 are about the same as far as performance and wow factor. Regards,
Youbenicenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Is the 16GB Nexus that hard to find, really? I picked one up a couple weeks ago at my local Walmart (walked right in) and they were also in stop in Staples. Just the time of year?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Is the 16GB Nexus that hard to find, really? I picked one up a couple weeks ago at my local Walmart (walked right in) and they were also in stop in Staples. Just the time of year?
That is my question (or it was). I have been browsing the store sites - Walmart & Staples - and online there weren't any $199 N7s. So I assumed not in the stores either. Wrong? Maybe I'll phone the Staples and Walmart stores where I am going to be and see what they have in stock?

Perhaps someone here can tell me about the screen color fading over time that has been reported with the N7? I am deciding between the N7 and KFHD. Don't have either one, but have used both. The KFHD seemed to have a better screen quality and way better speakers IMHO. The KFHD UI is an issue, but it runs my required 5-6 utility apps and can play side-loaded media just fine. I don't read comics (but I do read some magazines) or play action games, so the latest-android-version and higher processing speed wouldn't really help me. But screen/speaker quality is critical for viewing movies. Availability of Prime and instant video don't help me either, although they might be an issue for others. These are not available on the Nexus (or other Android devices).

Reviews tend to favor the Nexus7 for the open Android system and processing speed. Plus you can use the Nexus Media Explorer to "dangle" flash storage off of an USB OTG cable (unrooted). This is why I wouldn't want to spend an extra $50 on the 32 GB version.

The reported screen-color-fading issue is still a N7 show-stopper for me since my primary use would be movie viewing. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ I haven't noticed any screen color fading, and it's the first time I am hearing about this. I've had mine since it first came out in the summer, but I am not using it extensively, because I tend to grab the iPad over the N7 a lot. Still, I use it almost every day for a bit.

Also, I have seen the $199 N7 in my local Staples, so maybe they just don't offer them online, but do in their brick and mortar stores?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
^ I haven't noticed any screen color fading, and it's the first time I am hearing about this. I've had mine since it first came out in the summer, but I am not using it extensively, because I tend to grab the iPad over the N7 a lot. Still, I use it almost every day for a bit.

Also, I have seen the $199 N7 in my local Staples, so maybe they just don't offer them online, but do in their brick and mortar stores?
Well, just saw the $200 N7 in the Staples online circular, but for in-store only purchase when available. Maybe they are getting more in.

It's hard to tell what is fact/fiction from reports. I have an Asus (manufacturer of the Nexus 7) 7" Eee PC from years ago, and it still works fine.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

My first N7 did have the typical flaw where the glass was above the bezel. I replaced it for a new unit the next day and have not had any problems since. My BIL bought one at the same time and made it his main tablet (dumping the iPad 3 for it, no less, because the size fit him better) -no issues with it despite heavy usage.