Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The Guardian's 1000 novels to read before you die

The Guardian has come up with a list of a dizzying number of books that should inspire and guide book-lovers of all tastes and ages.

Quote:
Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language... Feel we've left off a crucial book? Email to us with your nomination and an explanation in no more than 150 words at review@guardian.co.uk, or post your submission to The Guardian, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU, by 4 February.
Divided by "soft" genre categories:
[via Pat's Fantasy Hotlist]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Here's the complete list as of Jan 23, 2009.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Just scanning it I can see that it is completely different from the list I have.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Just scanning it I can see that it is completely different from the list I have.
oh noes, now you have TWO thousand books to read !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've read 157 of those.

Broken down by category:
Comedy 16
Crime 30
Family and self 7
Love 10
Science fiction and fantasy 62
State of the nation 7
War and travel 25
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I refuse to even look at either list, lest my head explode from over-saturation (some days it's already too close to that now).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My first thought when I saw the thread this morning was, "Lilac is going to have a duck when she sees this!"

Hopefully for the sake of her sanity, most of the books are duplicates on the lists.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Wanderer
Wanderer began at the beginning.

Nice to see they split the books into sections, maybe the sf & fantasy should be speculative fiction, seeing as there's horror titles there as well (tho they're criminally few in number).
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I'll be done when I'm sixty

And that estimate isn't far off..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Depressing....I pride myself on my low-brow taste in reading, and I have already read 68 of the books on the list....Where did I go wrong?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Nearly Down
Nearly Down began at the beginning.

From what i can see there are only 998 books on the list not 1000!

I nominate the Da Vinci Code and The Alchemist to fill the missing slots
Nearly Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Damn, that's one huge list. Taking a look through it now, and quite a few of the books I've read are on there.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
34 out of 1000 and at least half of them I really hated and was forced to read in school.

Some books have been placed to odd categories.
For example:

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol - Comedy?????

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime??

Why did theu united War and Travel?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
The situation is even more grave.
Tery Pratchett, for example, is represented by "The discworld series".
The Discworld has at the moment some 37 books (not counting maps (4 books by Terry Pratchett), science books (another three), quiz books (TWO more! OMG!), ANOTHER nine Discworld theme books (like The Discworld Portfolio, The Discworld Companion, Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, ...) and "Where is my cow"**), so it is some 2036, possibly even 2050 now!

** Do not be scared, THAT one is a picture book - the one that Samuel Vimes reads it to his son.

kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
ONE Asimov book in the science fiction category?
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote