Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
georger
georger began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
xhtml from epub

i need help getting an xhtml document from an epub document so that it can be edited. i found this site (http://www.hxa7241.org/articles/cont...7241_2007.html) but where it says:

XHTML
Use XHTML 1.1, but without the following modules:

Forms
Server-side Image Map
Intrinsic Events
Scripting
(XHTML 1.1 difference from XHTML 1 strict:

lang attribute not allowed (use xml:lang instead)
name attribute on a and map elements not allowed (use id instead)
ruby annotations are allowed)
Include XML declaration and XHTML doctype, at the top:

i cant do this because all i have is an epub file and i cant figure out how to get xhtml from epub. i have read that you can zip and extract an xhtml file from epub but ive tried that and it didnt work. if someone can lay out the steps to get an xhtml doc that would be great because i am not that great with computers. thanks!
georger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
An .epub file is just a .zip file with a few restrictions on its layout. So all you need to do is:
  1. rename file.epub to file.zip
  2. unzip file.zip with your favorite unzipper
You should end up with a directory containing all the components of the ePub, including the .xhtml files you are looking for.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
georger
georger began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
not working

i tried changing the file to a .zip by just renaming it with .zip at the end. this did not change it from an epub file. i have a feeling that i am not doing this right so i tried making it a zip file by right clicking on the epub file and sending it do a compressed folder. then i right clicked on the compressed folder of the file and clicked extract all which led me to the windows extraction wizard. from there i extracted the files however all this did was give me the original epub file that i started with and not the component forms that make up the epub file (such as xhtml). if you could please tell me what i am doing wrong and how i should get the xhtml file it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

-george
georger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by georger View Post
i tried changing the file to a .zip by just renaming it with .zip at the end. this did not change it from an epub file.
Perhaps you have hidden extensions?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Perhaps you have hidden extensions?
Speaking of 'hidden extensions'...

I have a WinXP (Home) system and I simply cannot remember how to get the extensions to list in Explorer. I see the column for file type (Adobe..., Word document..., etc.) but the actual extensions won't show in the "Name" column. Where do I go to get these back?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Speaking of 'hidden extensions'...

I have a WinXP (Home) system and I simply cannot remember how to get the extensions to list in Explorer. I see the column for file type (Adobe..., Word document..., etc.) but the actual extensions won't show in the "Name" column. Where do I go to get these back?

Derek
When in Windows Explorer select the Tools menu and choose Folder Options. In the dialog select the "View" tab. Find the option "Hide extensions for known file types" and make sure it is not selected. I also set mine to Show Hidden files and folders and also to not hide protected operating system files.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by georger View Post
i tried changing the file to a .zip by just renaming it with .zip at the end. this did not change it from an epub file.
The original filename is (say) file.epub, with the .epub telling Windows what the file type is. If you try to rename it and all you see ls "file", rather than file.epub, then first you need to turn on the display of filename extensions for the directory you are in. See Configuring Windows to display filename extensions and hidden folders. Once you have the file showing up as file.epub, rename it to file.zip. Windows will ask if you really want to do this, answer yes. Now the file will show up as a zip file, and you can unzip it as would any other zip file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
When in Windows Explorer select the Tools menu and choose Folder Options. In the dialog select the "View" tab. Find the option "Hide extensions for known file types" and make sure it is not selected. I also set mine to Show Hidden files and folders and also to not hide protected operating system files.

BOb
YAAAAAaaaayyyy!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! [Derek is now doing his 'happy dance' - please ignore the 3.0 earthquake originating at Citrus Heights, CA.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
mannan
mannan began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
its working

yes ePub is a zip format only. when i renamed the extension from epub to zip, wow it worked great...

Thanks Mart

http://www.thesysteminfo.com
http://www.nuatransmedia.com

Last edited by mannan; 10-13-2009 at 07:22 AM.
mannan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, epub, indesign, xhtml