Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Kindle Fire:Both Wireless Mirroring And Native Streaming Media

"The Kindle Fire has Both Wireless Mirroring and Native Streaming Media."

I missed this earlier. I don't see it mentioned elsewhere on this site and that with a search (but I might be mistaken.) Even the Kindle Fire ad on Amazon doesn't seem to have it and I couldn't find a manual to download to check there. Anyway, here is some comments that I find greatly increase the likelihood that I will get a Fire and certainly the 3G Fire.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...le=It_Has_Both

"It Has Both Wireless Mirroring And Native Streaming Media

"Granted, the upcoming update to Apple's mobile operating system iOS 5 will add wireless mirroring (the ability to transmit what is on your screen onto a connected TV or monitor without an accessory), but juuuust in case: Bezos showed off the Kindle Fire's wireless mirroring at his keynote, and it looked pretty good. Add to that the option to add on Amazon Prime for Amazon's streaming library, and you have a pretty powerful home entertainment hub that doesn't require third-party apps or on-demand purchasing of video media"

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Interesting. I didn't see this.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no 3G Fire; it's WiFi only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Here's a list of the devices it can connect to wirelessly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Not sure if other devices will also work or will be supported later.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post

I'm guessing those are all just DLNA compatible devices?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

That list also includes devices that can merely stream Amazon video directly from their service, such as the Roku, which isn't DLNA and cannot connect to devices wirelessly (other than a wifi router) iirc.

I'm wondering what features to look for that indicate that you can connect wirelessly directly from the Fire..DLNA? I could use some education on this.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
That list also includes devices that can merely stream Amazon video directly from their service, such as the Roku, which isn't DLNA and cannot connect to devices wirelessly (other than a wifi router) iirc.

I'm wondering what features to look for that indicate that you can connect wirelessly directly from the Fire..DLNA? I could use some education on this.

I think this is Amazon's approach-avoiding mentioning specific standards, and focusing on the Amazon experience-I wouldn't be surprised if they get device makers to certify their devices as Fire-ready or some such.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think this is Amazon's approach-avoiding mentioning specific standards, and focusing on the Amazon experience-I wouldn't be surprised if they get device makers to certify their devices as Fire-ready or some such.
Like Netflix labeling on devices?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Like Netflix labeling on devices?
Yeah, it would be a nice little licensing opportunity for Amazon.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'm guessing those are all just DLNA compatible devices?
that's it. Almost every decent Android tablet can do just that.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
greatly increase the likelihood that I will get a Fire and certainly the 3G Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no 3G Fire; it's WiFi only.
HarryT,
you are correct, I should have phrased that "the 3G Fire when and if it comes."
Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That would be a good idea, seeing how the current experience leaves much to be desired.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
HarryT,
you are correct, I should have phrased that "the 3G Fire when and if it comes."
I'm guessing the 3G Fire really gives them problems with their business model. I think their hope is that this is about media consumption (video and music). However, with the shortage of memory and no SD slot it is designed as a cloud device. It would be tough to stream much video if you are bound by the pricing of a 3G connection.

I can't believe that the cost of an SD slot would have been that much and I think you could have found room to squeeze it in without impacting the form factor much. Furthermore, as a consumer expandable memory would be a HUGE bonus. So, I assume the lack of such a feature was a deliberate decision related to Amazon's business model.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Are they going to implement some kind of local storage of their Prime video streaming service so you can watch something when you are not with range of an available WiFi connection? Could this be the reason it doesn't have user removable storage (ie an SD slot)? If it had that capability, I would probably get one. I have several similar devices, but really would like something that had the option of downloading videos while at home to watch while I'm at the gym where I don't have WiFi access.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm guessing the 3G Fire really gives them problems with their business model. I think their hope is that this is about media consumption (video and music). However, with the shortage of memory and no SD slot it is designed as a cloud device. It would be tough to stream much video if you are bound by the pricing of a 3G connection.

I can't believe that the cost of an SD slot would have been that much and I think you could have found room to squeeze it in without impacting the form factor much. Furthermore, as a consumer expandable memory would be a HUGE bonus. So, I assume the lack of such a feature was a deliberate decision related to Amazon's business model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Are they going to implement some kind of local storage of their Prime video streaming service so you can watch something when you are not with range of an available WiFi connection? Could this be the reason it doesn't have user removable storage (ie an SD slot)? If it had that capability, I would probably get one. I have several similar devices, but really would like something that had the option of downloading videos while at home to watch while I'm at the gym where I don't have WiFi access.

Duane
I want a 3G Fire but I realize that with a better (much better) navigation method relative to the keyboard Kindle 3G, Amazon can't afford to foot the enormous bill from AT&T for millions of people using a Fire just to browse the internet, to download stuff, to watch movies from where ever they are stored outside the tablet.
So Amazon has to limit the 3G just as they have done in the Kindle 3G. Read the fine print and it says, "no downloading except Amazon products" and then they give you a cost schedule which as I remember is 15 cents a MB, 99 cents if you are out of the country, and you can't do it at all in Canada. Yet all of us know that if we bring up GMail and check out the emails, the browser is downloading that content, just as it does Wikipedia, or a map.
So Amazon is keeping track of the browser, or rather Amazon's computers are deciding if what you are doing is ok and I believe there are limits that we (or most of us) don't know about. The other limits are imposed by the difficulty of using the Kindle keyboard 3G as a browser. Some compare the operation as "etch-a-sketch." It is very tiresome.

So Fire (the next or this one) will never have total free 3G without some kind of charging . The Kindle 3Gs of last year don't have it. The question is what will Amazon let us have.

Will they go so far as to establish limits like 100MB, 500MB, 1GB, 10GB a month and at what cost.

The lack of SD storage is deliberate I believe and not for the 50 to 70 cents or so it would have taken to put in a port and connect it, but so that Amazon's great "cloud" storage gets a real jump start. Of course how do you connect to it without WiFi or a cable to your computer. Will we really get free large amounts of free 3G when we are going to the "cloud?" I don't know what they are going to do, but I am waiting to see. I believe that we will start getting some reports first from the new touch gray scale Kindles that will make browsing much easier. That will tell us what will happen with "next" year's model of Fires.

There is one obvious (I think) way to add storage to your Kindle whichever one it is, and that is to hook up a Flash drive or an external storage device which could include a SD/uD/xD card reader/adapter.

I have all those but I have never had the reason to hook them up to the little USB2 port. Amazon provides you the cable to do that, so why doesn't someone do it and let us know what happened.