Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
LaCadaDe
LaCadaDe began at the beginning.

Device: fourth generation Kindle
THANK YOU everyone for the replies (and the debate).

Now the next step for me is (there are already a few things posted here and there) a safe hack to convert e-ink readers into computer screens or, even better, decently sized and priced e-ink computer screens. I think we'll have to wait a few years though, not because of the technology which is has long been around but because there is so little demand.

Once again, many thanks to everyone, even the "if such little things stress you out so much" messages, which were probably right in a way and gave me a good laugh.
LaCadaDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I don't really mind the tweet/rating request, whilst it's obviously to help Amazon gain more sales, it also helps get the author more sales if people highly rate a book and spread the word. Nothing wrong with a gentle reminder when you're done

Still, I think the original poster should have the option to turn off the reminder if they don't want it. Really the "share" option shouldn't even be displayed unless you've linked a twitter or facebook account to your kindle, or shown at most one time to let you know the feature exists and an option to disable it there and then.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It's true that it's a minor irritation, and definitely nothing compared to the assault we get from TV and the web. It's just not what I'm used to when I curl up with a book. (except for certain paperbacks from the 70s with glossy cigarrette ad inserts in the middle! Remember those?) I want the option of maintaining the sense of stillness and solidity that I get when I read a physical book, not be reminded of the ever-shifting and invasive social-soliciting web.

I would have easily learned to tolerate it, if I hadn't found out that I didn't have to. Think about any new advertising encroachment, e.g. on the toilet stall door opposite the shitter, and how intolerable it would suddenly seem if an easy few steps would reverse that encroachment. That is, if you're really bothered by advertising. (Which I don't recommend, if you have a choice about it)
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I don't really mind the tweet/rating request, whilst it's obviously to help Amazon gain more sales.....

Still, I think the original poster should have the option to turn off the reminder if they don't want it.
Ultimately the good folks at Amazon look at the Kindle as a revenue stream, and they are going to do what it takes to maintain and/or grow that revenue stream. If they give customers the option to turn off some forms of marketing/advertising, which is what this is, then they are going to make up that revenue somewhere else. Personally I can tolerate this benign marketing if it means cheaper readers and/or media.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
LaCadaDe
LaCadaDe began at the beginning.

Device: fourth generation Kindle
I think I definitely belong to the "no ads" side here, although I respect those who don't. I'm happy to have to pay a bit more (like the TV licence in the UK that pays for an ad-free BBC) to be able to enjoy whatever radio, book or the internet without offers for this and that (usually useless stuff) popping out here and there. I can't recommend warmly enough the AdBlock addon which prevents adverts from being displayed on screen.
As for all the rubbish stuck on walls, bus shelters or "the toilet stall door opposite the shitter", I see little difference between that and the slogans that totalitarian regimes put on display everywhere in their countries. Dictatorship forces on us how happy we are under the Great Leader Kim Il Sung's wise leadership (which may or may not be true, probably not, in fact) and capitalism forces on us how happy we would be if we purchased whatever model of expensive sports car (which may or may not be true, probably not, in fact).
LaCadaDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
FWIW, here's an interesting read, pretty closely related to this topic and some of the discussion: The Perils of Social Reading. ( via )

Last edited by ixtab; 05-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I tried this on the Kindle Paperwhite, assuming that the system must work similarly. The entry exists in the appreg.db and after restarting I confirmed that the value is set to hidden, but the window still shows, just smaller... Any ideas?

EDIT: Even setting the eventTypes field to an empty string and restarting doesn't do the trick, huh... I thought it would be triggered during these events.

Last edited by cryzed; 12-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable, kindle, share, tweet