Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
illustrata
Enthusiast
illustrata began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle
Max two pages per chaper - iPad only

I've been making good progress getting the hang of things with Sigil and this epub, and pub has been displaying consistently everywhere (ADE, epubreader, iPad). But suddenly, the iPad/iBooks display has totally whacked out.

I have a number of chapters, but the iPad will display a maximum of two pages in each chapter. In fact, it shows only a fraction of the total pages that would normally be displayed. The TOC is fine, but if you click on a item that's beyond the second "page" of the chapter, it sends you to the head of the chapter. ADE, Calibre and Epubreader have no problem displaying the entire pub.

Sigil has crashed a few times today, I don't know if something got corrupted along the way.

I'm totally stumped. And things were going so well... Should I just remove the styling and see if that does anything?

Thanks for any ideas on this odd issue.

Last edited by illustrata; 05-04-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: supplied additional info
illustrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Have a look if the chapter is bigger then 300k
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
illustrata
Enthusiast

Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify, I have been working with this pub from the beginning and have had no problems at all with any chapter. I haven't added any additional content (converting from a paperback). The ipad has always displayed it correctly up until about an hour ago -- now each and every chapter over two pages long (profile or landscape), flips to the head of the next chapter.

Just so I know though, where do I find the chapter size?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrata View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify, I have been working with this pub from the beginning and have had no problems at all with any chapter. I haven't added any additional content (converting from a paperback). The ipad has always displayed it correctly up until about an hour ago -- now each and every chapter over two pages long (profile or landscape), flips to the head of the next chapter.

Just so I know though, where do I find the chapter size?
Did you 'Flightcrew' your work so far?
ADE has a nasty habit of ignoring stuff with errors

Size will not be a Sigil 'feature' (there is no Size limit in the EPUB Spec).
Size is simply a (common) device problem.

(Start to) UNzip the EPUB (Open with:<your unzip program>). You can just review the 'packed size' column, then discard/abort the unzip. and continue the work on the EPUB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
illustrata
Enthusiast

Well Flightcrew was illuminating.

I had couple of minor errors which I corrected, and then

Quote:
"filename/OEBPS/Text/"
'This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>...'
Something's gunked up, right?

...I see it -- bad formatting of interior links. Coded them like an image...wrong. We'll see if that's the ticket...

Last edited by illustrata; 05-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
illustrata
Enthusiast

OK, I have a spanking clean pub (according to Flightcrew and Threepress Epub validator)...

...and iBooks on iPad and iPhone (and no where else) still shows me only two 'pages' per chapter.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well Flightcrew was illuminating.

I had couple of minor errors which I corrected, and then

Something's gunked up, right?

...I see it -- bad formatting of interior links. Coded them like an image...wrong. We'll see if that's the ticket...
"Gunked"?

That error says you have a folder ONLY specified somewhere

You are probably looking for "../Text/#something" in one or more files.

missing is the filename.xhtml before the hashmark
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
illustrata
Enthusiast

Thanks a bunch. I found all the errors and my epub validates all over the place and I still get only two pages per chapter.

I went back and got an old version of the CSS, loaded that epub and sure enough, 182 pages.

What can you put in CSS to make a epub show you only two pages per chapter??? Augh...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have heard of this problem before with some epubs I made. Haven't looked at the problem though, I don't have an iPad.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I went back and got an old version of the CSS, loaded that epub and sure enough, 182 pages.

What can you put in CSS to make a epub show you only two pages per chapter??? Augh...
Post the CSS files here, and we can have a look. If I remember correctly neither epubcheck nor Flightcrew actually validate the CSS files, so you might have some error there without knowing.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
illustrata
Enthusiast

OK, all the CSS I had validates; here's what I took out to get things back to normal:

Quote:
body {
font-family: Corisande, sans-serif;
font-size: 100%;
line-height: 140%;
margin: 0;
padding: 18em;
}
I also removed some code recommended to center text vertically -- I used another approach.

Quote:
html, body { height: 100%;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
.wedge {
float: left;
height: 50%;
margin-bottom: -2em;
}
.container {
clear: both;
height: 4em;
position: relative;
}
table, tr, th {
height: 4em;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
Not sure which was the culprit...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
body {
padding: 18em;
}
What on earth induced you to add a 18em padding around (and inside) the text body? This goes in all 4 sides, so it's effectively 36em narrower and shorter... I'm not surprised it caused havoc.

Quote:
html, body { height: 100%;
I don't know what's the purpose of that, it looks redundant at best. It might be expected that the "100%" refers to the screen height, but I don't think it works that way, I've learned that relative heights tend to fall on your head.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
illustrata
Enthusiast

No, that was a typo, 1.8em; I don't know if there 18em would be appropriate anywhere, of course.

There is still a lot I don't seem to be able to predict about cascading in general, and i devices in particular. I was just getting the hang of it on web pages. Meh.

Thanks for your help; until we meet again at my next indiscernible error...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
may not apply in your case but a missing or misplaced full stop or semicolon anywhere in css definitions can invalidate everything that follows it e.g. you had table not .table in your example above
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
No, that was a typo, 1.8em; I don't know if there 18em would be appropriate anywhere, of course.
That's better, but it still looks too wide to me. Also note that top/bottom margin/padding in the body element applies only to the first and last "pages" in the flow, the body is the whole text, not each screen. If you want to set a page margin, better use something like:

Code:
@page { margin: 1em; } /* or 2mm, or 5px... */
html body { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

Tags
ipad, page limits