Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Replacing my Hanlin V3

Hi All,

As it looks like the screen on my Hanlin V3 has died and it's out of guarantee, I'm probably in the market for a new reader for when I don't want to carry my netbook about. My main issue is being able to read a wide range of formats without having to switch firmware: PDF (with and without DRM), DOC, TXT, PRC/MOBI (mostly without DRM), EPUB, HTML. It would be useful to be able to view spreadsheets (XLS) as well. I also don't want to be locked into buying books via a particular format.

I was having problems with the Hanlin kicking me out of longer documents in about 35 page turns no matter what format I had the file in (even after exporting it to EPUB via calibre), so something that doesn't have wobblies like that would be good. Even resetting the font and changing the firmware to Tirwal didn't stop that.

Colour would be nice, but it's not a necessity; 90% of what I read is black & white. I would prefer not to have a touch screen (I have enough trouble with track pads as it is). It also needs to be robust; I often read in bed and have a nasty habit of falling asleep when I do (so the unit ends up on the floor or I roll over onto it), and I'll be lugging it around in a satchel most of the time.

The other issue is that I'm UK-based (which rules out Borders!) and use a Mac (not so much of a problem these days!). I did look at the iPad, but I think I'll be going for one of those when the tablet market matures a bit more (at the moment it's a bit limited for what I need on top of ebook capabilities and too expensive).

Most downloads will be via Wi-Fi, so 3G isn't a necessity. Editing capability isn't needed (although would be useful), so a keyboard (virtual or physical) isn't needed. I'd prefer a docking keyboard like the iPad anyway; arthritis in both thumb joints and tendonitis in both wrists mean that tiny keyboards are not good on health grounds.

So, any suggestions?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote