Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How do I get a double space between paragraphs?

I am trying to get some personal documents edited for reading on the Kobo. I am driving myself crazy trying to get it to double-space in between sections. What I want is something that looks like this:

Paragraph 1

New paragraph

So in between the two paragraphs, a break with double space all around it, exactly as it looks above. I do this using the WYSIWYG editor and it looks fine. On my iPad in iBooks it looks fine. On the Kobo, it looks like this:

Paragraph 1

New Paragraph

I have tried every trick I can think of (given my limited skill) and it just is not coming out ok. My boyfriend is a programmer and he says that the extra <br> code should make it break. But it just isn't. This seems like it should be such a simple thing to do and since it looks fine on the iPad I am wondering what gives. What can I do to fix this so it looks ok on the Kobo? I have several more files to fix and want them all looking the same.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
ficbot

You can try this:

Code:
p {
....;    
margin-bottom: 1em;
...;
}
...; = other classes. "1em;" is just an example; you can play with it to your liking.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I create a 'scenebreak' class with the desired margins-top,margins-bottom (as well as no indent and center)

Code:
<p class="scenebreak">*&nbsp;*&nbsp;*</p>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I create a 'scenebreak' class with the desired margins-top,margins-bottom (as well as no indent and center)

Code:
So is this in the CSS? And then I mark it somehow in the text itself?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So is this in the CSS? And then I mark it somehow in the text itself?
What theducks wanted to say you is that in your .css stylesheet you must write the following:

Code:
.scenebreak {
    margin: 2em 0; /* here instead of 2em you can use others values at your will */
    text-indent: 0;
    text-align: center;
}
And in your .html file, where you want to have the paragraph separated, you must write the following:

Code:
<p>Your Paragraph 1...</p>

<p>Your New Paragraph...</p>
Also, supress all <br/> tags that you had used to separate the paragraph; the class "scenebreak" will do all the work.

Regards
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 07-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Some readers will ignore empty lines, wether it is <br /> or <p></p>. That is the reason most people use margins or <p>&nbsp;</p>.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And many will ignore 2+ in a row
so will use <br />&nbsp;<br /> instead of <br /> <br />
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Some readers will ignore empty lines, wether it is <br /> or <p></p>. That is the reason most people use margins or <p>&nbsp;</p>.
Thank you! That worked. It looks fine on both my iPad and my Kobo now.