Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #76
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
As far as I know, there is no "worldwide" warranty in this case.
You yourself are expected to deliver the broken device to the dealer or the distributor from whom you bought it ("Booxtor" offers 2 years, ArtaTech 1 year warranty time).
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #77
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
There are certain inalienable consumer rights in the EU, though. The seller (!) is resposible for a two year legal warranty, e.g. (and has to bear to cost of shipping in such cases, for what it's worth.)
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #78
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Yes, we already had lengthy discussion about it few months ago....

I would just point out that general 2 year's warranty protection in EU applies only to consumers (buying for home use), not to enterprices (buying for bussiness). For example even lower-end enterprice grade notebooks (costing cca 1000 EUR) by Lenovo (IBM) have 1 year warranty, if you buy them for use comercial use. So, I decided to buy similar notebook by another company which has 3 years' on-site service warranty...

@ Gris
By Worldwide Warranty I meant, one may deliver it to any "repair" center/warranty "body", despite the place of purchase.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #79
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

The warranty time is country specific (i.e. different members of the EU have different regulations). In particular that means that the Polish distributor ArtaTech is allowed to offer 1 year only.
See posts #48 and #73 - #75 in this thread.

I have had a similar issue with Garmin GPS devices.
I even contacted Garmin's European Service Center.
I was told that their "international warranty" validity time depends on the origin of their device. No matter where you buy it, you need to know from which "distribution channel" it comes. I think I remember two cases now - if the device originates in Garmin-France the warranty is 1 year, if the device originates in Garmin-Netherlands the warranty is 2 years (I don't really remember it exactly now, I am sure about France, but I don't remember the list of countries in which their warranty was 2 years, there were not so many, however).
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #80
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

The world is not a simple place to live. And the owls are not what they seem to be...

It is 2 years for Garmin in Czech Rep. (unless they've changed it recently.)
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #81
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
The warranty time is country specific (i.e. different members of the EU have different regulations).
Well, there's always directive 1999/44/EC, of course, which applies to all countries ... so, two years it is, for all intents and purposes.

Quote:
In particular that means that the Polish distributor ArtaTech is allowed to offer 1 year only.
I very much doubt that. According to this report "Poland has implemented Directive 1999/44/EC on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees through the Act of 27 July 2002 on the detailed conditions for consumer sales and on amendments to the Civil Code. We are not aware of any problem in the transposition of Directive 1999/44/EC into the Polish legal system."

Just my €0.02.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #82
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

A "warranty" is NOT the same as a "guarantee" (similar words, different legal meanings).
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #83
rogue_librarian
Guru

Why, thank you for pointing this out. Just in case there's any doubt, I was, of course, referring to the legally mandatory remedy, nothing that the manufacturer (or seller) adds on top of that, voluntarily or not. A liability for defects, if you will.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #84
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
i would say that there is at least a one year warranty independent from reseller like arta, booxstore. that comes from onyx itself. on a case of damage yourself must ask support to find the place of repair and have the cost of shipping paid. that is how i found it in another warranty, but the real conditions should be found in the warranty book that comes with the tool itself. that should at least be the minimal and worst warranty condition but legal to everyone.

maybe the shipping costs are paid by onyx but must not be the case.

that should be by law the minimal, as i see.

@mono, i meant worldwide warranty with the same meaning

but I think the theme is not so easy. when onyx is chinese producer and seller, then chinese law is legal. or there is worldwide minimal warranty or the warranty where they are selling jumps in.

like booxstore maybe cannot be made responsible or bear the cost of repairing. he himself must deal with the producer, and make him pay for the repair. for he is not responsible for a bad production. so either onyx itself is made responsible or it is free will of reseller to give more warranty and he himself must bear all cost.

reseller means normal seller, not producer. don't know if the term is right.

so all extension of warranty must somehow be connected with the producer too.

..ah, if they have repair center themself, then they maybe can offer extent warranty, but then on the own risk. so i would say if the country gives a two year warranty, then it should be connected with onyx and should be worldwide. and it should be in the country of buying.

Last edited by gris; 02-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #85
Mono
Mono

@ rogue_librarian
Arta Tech Warranty
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #86
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
@ rogue_librarian
Arta Tech Warranty
Your point being? This is obviously a voluntary guarantee. This does not affect your legal rights in any way.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #87
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
when onyx is chinese producer and seller, then chinese law is legal.
Poppycock. Chinese law doesn't enter into this in any way, shape, or form. When there is a problem, talk to the vendor, he's the one responsible.

Quote:
booxstore maybe cannot be made responsible or bear the cost of repairing. he himself must deal with the producer, and make him pay for the repair. for he is not responsible for a bad production. so either onyx itself is made responsible or it is free will of reseller to give more warranty and he himself must bear all cost.
Not the buyer's problem; chalk it up to "cost of doing business".

Quote:
so all extension of warranty must somehow be connected with the producer too.
No. Or, put differently, it's all the same to the buyer, and certainly not his problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #88
Lindemann
Lindemann began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX M92; i62 and many traditional books
M92 is available at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-Boox-Blac...ords=onyx+boox
Lindemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #89
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

That amazon offer explicitly says ... "Sold by ArtaTech" ... you'd better buy it elsewhere then.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #90
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Yes it's true. With ArtaTech, you can't use the last firmware. It's better to support Booxtor who make some big efforts to improve the Onyx devices : http://ereader-store.de/en/. The M92 is sold with cover (essential) and a charger. Be careful with the charger, a low quality charger can damage the M92.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote