Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
abenderx
abenderx began at the beginning.

Device: Moto Droid
Hi all -
A couple things I thought I'd throw out here:
- On Kindle for Android: I downloaded and tested it last week, only to find that it ONLY allows for Amazon purchase/download/read. if you have a collection of PRC, MOBI, PDB or whatever, you CAN NOT import your books into this reader no matter what the format. HUGE BUMMER. I was very interested in this app because of the issue I bring up next.
- One (other) issue that is of some importance to me (I spent almost 5 years on several WinMo devices reading with MobiPocket) is simple text formatting - boldface and italics specifically. The fact is, NONE of the Android readers are capable of displaying anything other then basic text unless you go into the faux-browser mode that doesn't do paging or anything else properly. I've tried FBreader and iReader, AEPreader, you name it and I've tried it. None of them render bold or italics. I may have been spoiled by Mobi, and I curse the day Amazon bought them and halted all new platform development to push everyone into Kindles, but I very much miss the days of simply converting an ebook on the desktop and having it display as expected on the phone. Hopefully soon someone will get this 'feature.'
iReader is my choice after spending a lot of time with fbReader prior to switching again. I say this given its handling of PRC, PDB and even upcoming ePub. I also like the ability to utilize the volume toggle as page up/down. It's a great interface, my favorite honestly - the developer hasn't made an update in some time, but I keep hoping!
abenderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #17
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
My problem with most the epub readers in android so far is that they all ask me to import books and make their own library. So once I do that I can not open those book with another reader. What the hell if I wanted to be tied down to a reader I would have bought
a kindle.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Pandigital Novel , Acer Iconia A100
Thumbs up New Laputa Reader

There is a very nice new version of Laputa Reader available on the Android Market:
http://laputareader.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...ta-Book-Reader
Its reading features are fairly basic. But one standout feature I love is the animated page flip. And it auto-scrolls!

Another nice feature is that it directly downloads epub books to your sd card from two built-in catalogues - Feedbooks and Blazer Books (http://www.blazerbook.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Blazer-Books).

It also can import non-DRM .epubs from your SD card.

A nice addition to reading on your Android device.

Last edited by jschall; 07-17-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add Facebook links
jschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Still looking for a reader that will store the books in internal mem & not the SD card. I know most prefer the opposite, but with an Android tablet there is often enough internal mem to handle a collection. Aldiko would be fine if it didn't take over the SD card. The reader on the Pandigital Novel uses internal mem., but it doesn't have some features that Aldiko has.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
abenderx

Dopedangel - I can tell you for sure that neither fbReader or iReader create a library beyond the listing of their respective "home" directory on the sd card. For fbReader believe it was /sdcard/books and for iReader it's /sdcard/iReader. I shuffle books in and out of the respective directory and that's all there is to it.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenderx View Post
Dopedangel - I can tell you for sure that neither fbReader or iReader create a library beyond the listing of their respective "home" directory on the sd card. For fbReader believe it was /sdcard/books and for iReader it's /sdcard/iReader. I shuffle books in and out of the respective directory and that's all there is to it.
As far as I know ireader doesn't support epub
And I am using fbreader.
My gripe with fbreader is that it does not allow me to browse my ebook directory
it just populates the metadata from the books in its database so I am unable to find the sequence of a series.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschall View Post
There is a very nice new version of Laputa Reader available on the Android Market:
http://laputareader.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...ta-Book-Reader
Its reading features are fairly basic. But one standout feature I love is the animated page flip. And it auto-scrolls!

Another nice feature is that it directly downloads epub books to your sd card from two built-in catalogues - Feedbooks and Blazer Books (http://www.blazerbook.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Blazer-Books).

It also can import non-DRM .epubs from your SD card.

A nice addition to reading on your Android device.
I downloaded Laputa from the Market (again) and can't for the life of me figure out how to "import non-DRM .epubs". Perhaps I'm a little dense, but I can get the file to show up in the library but when I try to open it it says "The book you selected is not found on the SD Card".

Well it most certainly IS on the SD Card, in four different folders! And the Laputa help file offers no help.

Laputa; fails again!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenderx View Post
Hi all -
A couple things I thought I'd throw out here:
- On Kindle for Android: I downloaded and tested it last week, only to find that it ONLY allows for Amazon purchase/download/read. if you have a collection of PRC, MOBI, PDB or whatever, you CAN NOT import your books into this reader no matter what the format. HUGE BUMMER.
With the newest version you can just copy your mobi files into the Kindle folder and you're good to go. Works great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #24
Halfchan
Halfchan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am using iReader (Free) on a HTC Desire..very good but crap in daylight...someone mentioned that it Autoscrolls...how do you enable this?
Halfchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #25
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Another nice feature is that it directly downloads epub books to your sd card from two built-in catalogues - Feedbooks and Blazer Books
The Blazer Books site seems to contain large amounts of pirated material; I don't think you're supposed to link to things like that here.

Until recently, Laputa offered downloads of pirated material in the App Market. Then those downloads vanished, and now I gather the same or similar material is downloadable from within the app. Must be a story there....
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Pandigital Novel , Acer Iconia A100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
can't for the life of me figure out how to "import non-DRM .epubs"...it most certainly IS on the SD Card, in four different folders! And the Laputa help file offers no help.
Agreed, the import feature is not documented, yet. There is active discussion about importing on the Laputa Facebook page. The program is still under active development.

I have succeeded by copying the desired .epub file directly into the sdcard/laputabooks directory - and not into a sub-directory.
jschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Agreed, the import feature is not documented, yet. There is active discussion about importing on the Laputa Facebook page. The program is still under active development.

I have succeeded by copying the desired .epub file directly into the sdcard/laputabooks directory - and not into a sub-directory.
Did that, also made a folder in the laputabooks folder and copied it in there, also copied it into the import folder.

The best results were when I made the folder and put the file there, the library could see it, but when checked the put it on the bookshelf check block it showed up on the bookshelf. But whe I tried to open the book, it said the file wasn't found on the SD card.

This process is obviously not well thought out.

I have a file (Atlas Shrugged) that I bought from ??? someone affiliated with Laputa which downloaded and opens correctly, but I have an extensive library of non-DRM ePubs in Calibre that work fine in FBReader but not in Laputa.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #28
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Don't have it in front of me, but if I remember correctly, FBReader library does not list books by title. It offers Tag, Author & something else, but not Title????
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
lcalvin
lcalvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
I paid the $1.99 after about 10 minutes. In the pay version, when you are in a book, go to the menu, choose settings and you can turn on and off autoscroll and control various elements.
lcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
abenderx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Still looking for a reader that will store the books in internal mem & not the SD card. I know most prefer the opposite, but with an Android tablet there is often enough internal mem to handle a collection. Aldiko would be fine if it didn't take over the SD card. The reader on the Pandigital Novel uses internal mem., but it doesn't have some features that Aldiko has.
Cheers,
kev
fbReader should work for this Bug - you can manually set the folder in which it will look for eBooks, so that should allow for the location of your choice.
To get to the setting, you pull up the menu, choose "More" - then choose "Settings" - the top item under "Library" is "Directories to see for books" (bad grammer, but hey lol). You can specify the folder there.

I'm guessing that you'll need to have the folder already in place before you can point to it since there doesn't seem to be a "create new" option in the setting (lol) so I'd probably use Linda Manager or Astro, navigate up to the root, create your folder and then you can go into the above setting and specify the folder.

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one