Sony Reader available Late Summer 2006

Sony Reader available Late Summer 2006

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...pdr&Dept=audio
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Syaka
Syaka began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
And before that it said Spring 2006... they enjoy torturing us.
Syaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaka
And before that it said Spring 2006... they enjoy torturing us.
They would've left it as it was if they did. Torturing us, that is.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Gee, let's start another countdown so that we can all watch Sony do a second "IRex"! Then when Setpember 23rd arrives we will have another thread like this!

As I have said on another thread, all Sony has done here is turn a bunch of book sales for the summer over to the paper book sellers. It sure is true in my case - I have a list of over 30 books that I started when I heard about the IRex and the Reader. I had planned to buy most or all in ebook format.

Well, I guess they will now be bought in "Gutenberg format". <g>

Last edited by CCDMan; 06-03-2006 at 10:25 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I am currently in the US for a week, kept my luggage at a minimum hoping to snatch a Sony Reader. And now this. Very frustrating indeed.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
You know, all these makes me marvel at the fact that Origamis are actually delivered.

And on reflection, each release of Windows come shipped with *tons* of drivers tested and ready to go, and compatibility with thousands of software tested as well. Seeing how iLiad and Sony are pushing back release dates only makes me give MS a bit more leeway in their release dates.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
MS already failed with TabletPCs.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Engadet Coverage

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/05/s...ips-to-summer/
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

When does this get to Europe...? Here, it will hopefully be competing with the Iliad. Sonys bad reputation for closed firmware and drm vs Irex's misleading statements re:release dates – should make it a fun fall...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
You know, all these makes me marvel at the fact that Origamis are actually delivered.
The Origami is just a hardware platform and really is just a minor evolution up from tablets. With the Iliad, it seems to be software issues holding up the release. With the Sony, if the grapevine is to be believed, it sounds like issues with the Connect store are the problem.

Quote:
MS already failed with TabletPCs
That is a matter of opinion, and is highly dependant on what you thought 'success' with tablets was going to be. As a mass market consumer item? Sure, no sales records there. For industries where pen-based computing was already working, the tablet is a big step up in terms of functionality. The big limiting factors are still battery life and weight, and those are exactly what will keep the Origami limited until those issues are resolved.

That and the ridiculous price premium.

At this point, I don't see serious market releases of any of these devices until 2007. Before then, it will all just be a trickle, and even once the doors are open the price tag, particularly for the Iliad, is going to be a big problem.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
When does this get to Europe...? Here, it will hopefully be competing with the Iliad. Sonys bad reputation for closed firmware and drm vs Irex's misleading statements re:release dates – should make it a fun fall...!
Unfortunately, Sony has no plans for a European release, at least not for the forseeable future.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
MS already failed with TabletPCs.
I'm talking about actually delivering / shipping a product. iRex cannot even ship it on time.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Lets give irex folks some wiggle room. They are a startup, a philips startup, but still a startup. Its hard to get all of that going for the first time: manufacturing contracts, storage, distribution channels, etc. Its a pain in the ass. I think the software is a relief to them just on grounds that it more directly under their control.

And we also have ALL next-gen eink devices in very limited quantities. Is that a coincidence?
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:30 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Your right dugbug.

And Snappy: Sony doesnt deliver on time either
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Your right dugbug.

And Snappy: Sony doesnt deliver on time either
PS3: Announced for a Spring 2006 launch. Delayed now until November.

Last edited by Riocaz; 06-06-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote