Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Nook, B&N, ePub and PDB formats

I know that Nook works with both ePub and PDB formats but if I have jetBook-Lite and would like to purchase eBook from B&N website how can I see if this book will be in PDB or ePub format? I didn't find this information on B&N website but maybe I missed something...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I know that Nook works with both ePub and PDB formats but if I have jetBook-Lite and would like to purchase eBook from B&N website how can I see if this book will be in PDB or ePub format? I didn't find this information on B&N website but maybe I missed something...
B&N currently does not state the type of file the book is. The best thing to do is to download the free sample and see what type of file it is.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I downloaded the freebie Altar of Eden and got a PDB when downloaded from the website, but got an EPUB when I downloaded within the B&N Reader Application.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I downloaded the freebie Altar of Eden and got a PDB when downloaded from the website, but got an EPUB when I downloaded within the B&N Reader Application.

Does that mean that they have both formats available for all books?

Last edited by Kris777; 01-02-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I only have three ebooks from B&N, but they all give a PDB when downloaded from the website and an EPUB when I downloaded within the B&N Reader. This may be because the BlackBerry app does not yet support ePub (i.e. it may not be this way forever).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
i use B&N as mac user.
in the mac version there is no option to go directly to the shop, only indirectly through safari.
however i had bought a book and it loaded two weeks back as .epub and now as .pdb
just now i got cabbages tool working for epub
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
i use B&N as mac user.
in the mac version there is no option to go directly to the shop, only indirectly through safari.
however i had bought a book and it loaded two weeks back as .epub and now as .pdb
just now i got cabbages tool working for epub
The mac B&N reader sucks dont it... I had to use windows to get the book and then remove the drm
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned

Why they don't provide 2 links - one for ePub and second one for PDB the same way as fictionwise do for Multiformat books?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Why they don't provide 2 links - one for ePub and second one for PDB the same way as fictionwise do for Multiformat books?
I think (and this is just my thought process) is that since they have the windows ereader software to kinda work like the nook they assume you have the nook and you can download the ePub version though the windows software.
The others that need to download it through the website do not have the nook and are going to load it into some other device that may do not support ePub.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I think (and this is just my thought process) is that since they have the windows ereader software to kinda work like the nook they assume you have the nook and you can download the ePub version though the windows software.
The others that need to download it through the website do not have the nook and are going to load it into some other device that may do not support ePub.
The answer is a bit simpler: They are migrating to ePub from PDB, but the migration isn't complete, and they are taking time with it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that B&N is being unfair to the customer. If you download a sample that is in eReader and you buy it only to get ePub, they should refund your money, but they won't. B&N has totally screwed things up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
If you search for the book on http://ebooks.addall.com it will tell you whether the book is pdb or epub, and it supports detecting which format is available at B&N.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
If you search for the book on http://ebooks.addall.com it will tell you whether the book is pdb or epub, and it supports detecting which format is available at B&N.
Thank you. This link is very useful.

Last edited by Kris777; 01-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I would not count on this being entirely correct...

I just downloaded a free book on B&N, Altar of Eden, and the format was Epub.

I searched on addall and it listed the B&N book as Ereader.....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I would not count on this being entirely correct...

I just downloaded a free book on B&N, Altar of Eden, and the format was Epub.

I searched on addall and it listed the B&N book as Ereader.....
Ah, good to know. I haven't run into that issue, but I'm guessing B&N has not fully updated whatever database addall uses to generate its results. Buyer beware, I guess!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote