Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
powerhawk
powerhawk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a recommendation

Hello, I'm looking to buy my first ebook reader.
Here are my deciding criteria,
1) Ease of use with PDFs, all my books are PDF. I don't care if if I have to convert them if it all works out well... I like text about the size it is on the kindle 1 though.
2) Dictionary... a lot of the books I read use a very high level vocabulary and I have to look works up frequently
3) Cheapest price possible

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by powerhawk; 05-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.
powerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Just, so I can understand your needs ...

You refer to PDF's and you talk about a high level vocabulary. What type of PDF's are these? Are they academic articles? Do they have equations, graphs, and diagrams?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
powerhawk

They are mostly text based nonfiction. Some have pictures but the text is more important to me .
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So pdf is a headache. pdf plus cheap is a bigger headache. The problem is that pdf's often don't resize well on a small screen. As a result you need a bigger screen reader so that you can see them better in their native size. This puts you in the category of more expensive devices like the Kindle DX or the Irex.

Here is what I would try. Download calibre to your computer. I don't have the link handy, but google it. It is a library management application for your PC, but it also has the ability to convert files to other formats. Then get a directory full of your pdf files. Tell Calibre to convert a few of them to another format: mobi (kindle), lrf (Sony), and epub are good choices. Finally, use Calibre's built-in viewer to view the converted files. Make sure you specify the converted version (ie the mobi version) instead of the original pdf. If everything looks clean then you are ready to come back here and discuss your results.

I'm not sure how pdf conversion works with some of these older academic style pdf's. I have a feeling that your documents are actually stored pictures (scans) of pages, not text. Because of this, I'm not sure that you can actually convert them. This would mean that you are 'stuck' with the larger format readers such as the DX.

Michael
Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
powerhawk

Most of my files have been run through the software so that they are actual text instead of images.

I will try that out, I assume converting them to the player's typical format is preferable to reflow?

Also, I wanted to mention that I have no need for any of the wifi capabilities, so that may allow me to buy a cheaper device... I have enough to read as it is .

Thanks again

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I could easily convert all the pdfs to doc files just by copying and pasting, they are that well formatted. So I'm more concerned with the price and dictionary

Last edited by powerhawk; 05-20-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard

So, since it is text, then I will assume that it can display just fine on a 6" screen. If price is your determining factor then you might concentrate on two current books:

Ectaco Jetbook - This unit has some fanatical users. It is the cheapest new unit out there at $199 on NewEgg. It has an LCD display instead of an eInk display, but since it is not backlit, many users feel that it is still easy on the eyes. I believe this is also a bit smaller (5 inches?).

Astak EzReader - Buy it on Frys.com and wait for it to show up on sale. You should be able to get it for around $230.

Now in terms of the wild card choices (I don't know much about them, but they may fit your criteria).

The Foxit eSlick Reader. Frankly this one is usually seen as a bit of a looser since it ony reads pdf's. I don't know anyone that has one. However, since your pdf's are text, they may reflow fine on the Foxit. Its possible it could be quite a bargain. I think the reader will either fade away or be significantly changed so there is a risk of obsolescence.

Upcoming 5" readers. There are a number of 5" readers expected in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these is under $200. Since these are a few weeks from announcement, you are probably seeing them a couple of months away from general availability.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For a low price with a dictionary, look for:

-Used Kindle 1 (one dictionary at a time and a limited selection of them)
-Used Cybook (multiple dictionaries at once)
-EBW1150 (I just learned about this from DixieGal - eBookwise-1150 Dictionary Support)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook has excellent dictionary support. If dictionaries are important to you, that's certainly one to consider. Note, however, that it can only look up words in MobiPocket format books, so you'd need to convert your books to that format.

I believe that the iRex DR1000 allows you to use a Mobi dictionary with a PDF document, but that's a very much more expensive device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
powerhawk

I've narrowed it down to:

Ectaco Jetbook (not sure about the screen)
Sony PRS 505 (dictionary is an addon which is a bummer)
Astek EZReader
Bookwise (again not sure about screen, how does this compare to jetbook and e ink?)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhawk View Post
I've narrowed it down to:

Ectaco Jetbook (not sure about the screen)
Sony PRS 505 (dictionary is an addon which is a bummer)
Astek EZReader
Bookwise (again not sure about screen, how does this compare to jetbook and e ink?)
Where did you find a dictionary add-on for the 505?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Where did you find a dictionary add-on for the 505?
Probably this one at a guess...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Probably this one at a guess...
Wow, thanks. That was a new one. It does sound like it is very tedious to try to look up words on it.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
powerhawk

OK, I'm probably going to get the sony... they are under $240 on ebay.

The only other ones I am considering are the cool-er and the jetbook. Nothing seems to fit exactly what I want (basically a sony with a dictionary for a reasonable price).

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhawk View Post
OK, I'm probably going to get the sony... they are under $240 on ebay.

The only other ones I am considering are the cool-er and the jetbook. Nothing seems to fit exactly what I want (basically a sony with a dictionary for a reasonable price).

Thanks for all the help.
Why are you not considering a used Kindle 1 with a built in dictionary for roughly the same price at the Sony?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
powerhawk

Kindle 1 is $60 more on ebay... I'm not sure I want to pay $60 just for an easier to use dictionary.

However, the jetbook looks good... if there is a way for me to convert my pdfs to a format that it allows you to play with the font sizes with.