Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
I don't use Calibre, have no idea what it is.
I manage my books easily enough without any additional software.

If you want to download your non-existent epub or pdf book that comes with acsm file,
right click on acsm, select "open with" and choose either ADE or Sony Reader.
It took my computer a couple of months to actually get used to these files. I am not kidding. No matter how many times I went through the proper procedures, I could not open the acsm files. Finally, about three weeks ago either windows or ade or sony finally updated themselves and it started working.

All I know, is that I am not buying TICKETS (acsm files) any more. If I pay for something, I want the real thing, normal epub or pdf format, not some "ticket".
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
squidly
squidly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops View Post
Squidly, what did you have to do? I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

However when I look under Calibre and the preferences and plugins I can see the 3 inept plug-ins listed there. However I do not think it is installing correctly.

So did you install the wrong plug-in thus why it was not doing what you wanted it to do or did you install the correct plug-in but it just had not installed properly?

Do I need to move certain files to certain directories manually or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had picked the wrong .zip file as the plug in file - it is further down in the downloaded zip file than I went initially.

These are the instructions I typed up for a friend of mine - hope it helps you.

Download Calibre here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Install it

Download this plug-in:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-90d5c1ef.html

Unzip the file.

In Calibre, go into "Preferences", lower left is "plugins", then follow these instructions.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...in-to-calibre/

The file you want to use is in the directory you unzipped to, sub tools, sub Calibre Plugins, and choose ineptepub_v01.2_plugin.zip.

When you download library files, find the directory it puts the file in and in Calibre, you will add the book. The plugin will strip the DRM as it brings it in and then you can convert it from epub format to Mobi, which is Kindle readable. You can load it to your kindle from Calibre directly - it knows when you plug the kindle in.

You do know where your epub files are located, yes?
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
SA49
SA49 began at the beginning.

Need Help!

I just downloaded the calibre and I'm having trouble converting my .acsm file.
The error shows as 'no suitable source was found'.
I don't know what that means.

The reason why I downloaded Calibre is because I'm also having trouble viewing my .acsm ebook on Adobe Digital Edition.
I activated ADE but I'm still getting 'license communication error'.
It was working earlier but I had a problem with my cpu where I had to do a system recovery. Now none of my .acsm ebooks are able to be read on ADE.
I tried redownloading an ebook but no luck.

Please help!
SA49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA49 View Post
I just downloaded the calibre and I'm having trouble converting my .acsm file.
The error shows as 'no suitable source was found'.
I don't know what that means.
The .acsm file is not an ebook, but rather a ticket that asks ADE to download an ebook for you. The .epub which ADE eventually downloads will be in the folder My Documents\My Digital Editions.

It sounds like you need to re-authorize your Windows Adobe Digital Editions to your AdobeID. In the library view under the Library <down arrow> there is an option to authorize computer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
Dont try to open acsm file. Click on e-pub or pdf that comes with it.
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
SA49

Thanks for helping

To: wallcraft

I've already tried to unauthorize and reauthorize my ADE. I still received the license comm error.
And I just checked the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder and it only contains files that I have been able to open (which is not the files downloaded as .acsm) but only ebooks downloaded as .epub.

To: Mura35
I don't have an e-pub or pdf that came with the .acsm files... it was downloaded as .acsm
Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
ILuvSebago
ILuvSebago began at the beginning.

Device: iluvsebago@kindle.com
Kindle ...

Thanks for all the helpful information in this forum!

I was able to find the .epub books, translate them to .mobi that Kindle can understand, but when I try to upload to my Kindle I get an error failed to communicate or something.

I can send regular word or PDF files to the Kindle using the same email address.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
ILuvSebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You are must more likely to find Kindle experts in the Kindle forum on this web site. I would suggest you ask your questions over there.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
SA49

I finally got it figured out why my ADE books were not opening but giving license comm errors. I have been dealing with tech support from one of the sites where I buy my ebooks.
The first time I installed ADE, it didn't ask me to authorize/add an Adobe ID. Apparently it had automatically created one for me. I didn't know that one needed to be created and that was my first time using any kind of an ebook reader. After I did a system recovery and re-installed ADE, I did get a prompt to authorize. Here I created an ID, but this doesn't match the original one. Hense, wrong license.
Now I'm trying to figure out what my original ID is by trying to contact Adobe.
Meanwhile some sites are helping me out by sending me a replacement link for my ebook once I provide them with my original order numbers but others sites are not.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
duhhuh58
duhhuh58 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i bought my daughter a kindle to take with her on deployment. i purchased a book from feedbooks (not knowing they weren't compatible). i've downloaded calibre and i downloaded the tools bundle but i still can't convert the book. help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The DRM-stripping is done by a 3rd party plug-in to Calibre, look for the tools_2.4 bundle. If you add the plug-in, Calibre can import the ePub and make it DRM-free and you can then convert it to MOBI for your Kindle. Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to study DRM issues.
duhhuh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #26
ILuvSebago

To translate library books to use on the kindle.

Join a library that has ebooks to check out. Download their ebook reader program. Download calibre. Download a patch for it called tools_v2.4, install the ineptepub_plug.py

When you download the book from the library it comes on your desktop as an acsm file double click on that and it loads it into your Adobe Digital Editions, you will see the cover of the book in that program.

Next you have to find the actual .ebook (c:users>name of computer>my documents>my digital editions. Then I copied and pasted the epub file to my desktop. Drag it into calibre to translate to .mobi.

Then you email the .mobi book to your kindle address (name@kindle.com). I had a couple of issues mailing it at the beginning so I plugged in the USB cable and copied the .mobi book directly to the Kindle (it sees it as a hard drive).

Now I can read the books I checked out of the library on my Kindle! I kept typing in the explorer bar questions on how to do this and found different ideas and posts to try things.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #27
reprich1
reprich1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I have a Mac laptop & a Nook Color e-reader. I have downloaded many books from B & N but downloading from the library is a different matter. Of the 4 books that I downloaded from the library only one came through to my Nook in a readable format. All of the rest come through with an ACSM format. I have contacted Barnes & Noble, the libraries & adobe & no one has been able to help me so far. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on correcting this situation.
reprich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ACSM is not a book format - it's a "key" which tells ADE where to download the actual book from. Open the ACSM file in ADE - it should download the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #29
ILuvSebago

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprich1 View Post
I have a Mac laptop & a Nook Color e-reader. I have downloaded many books from B & N but downloading from the library is a different matter. Of the 4 books that I downloaded from the library only one came through to my Nook in a readable format. All of the rest come through with an ACSM format. I have contacted Barnes & Noble, the libraries & adobe & no one has been able to help me so far. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on correcting this situation.
Read in the above post how I translated the books from the acsm format to the mobi format that I need to read books on my Kindle.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
eric.bear
eric.bear began at the beginning.

Device: notsure
link deleted by moderator

This looks like a good step by step.

If i have an ebook loan from a library and have the DRM removed after the conversion to epub format through adobe, does that mean that it won't have an expiration date any more?!

Great forum. by the way

Moderator Notice
Please do not post links to detailed instructions for DRM removal. This is against our site policy.

Thank you.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-30-2012 at 04:58 AM.
eric.bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, acsm, calibre, epub, sony