Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Displaying Chinese? Characters

I'm working on an ePub that contains a list of sponsors in the back, including two with names including Asian characters not present in the book's standard font. So, I included Droid Sans to display them in, and they now show up correctly in Calibre's editor and viewer. But they don't show up on the Kobo, Nook, or Bookeen readers.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong?

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Droid Sans";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../Fonts/DroidSans.ttf);
  }

.droid {
  font-family: "Droid Sans" !important;
}
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The font is embedded?
It is in the Fonts folder?
The case of the font filename is exactly that in the CSS?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of these things are so. And I've got another font embedded in other places that is working fine, so I'm particularly puzzled. Maybe somebody could recommend another good Chinese font that I could try in place of Droid Sans?
Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And how do you apply the font to the paragraphs?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Code:
<span class="droid">林立人</span> Lin Liren;
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Does the Droid Sans font include those characters? Calibre's may be use a fallback font.

How large is the font file? My reader at least refuses to use large fonts like Arial Unicode or Code2000. Try subsetting the font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I think Kobo expects the embedded fonts to follow a naming convention for the src files. Something like:
Droid Sans-Regular; Droid Sans-Italic...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does the Droid Sans font include those characters? Calibre's may be use a fallback font.
I think this was what was happening. After checking and determining that the characters were not Chinese but Japanese and Korean, I replaced Droid Sans with different fonts and got results.

I assumed Droid Sans was working because the characters displayed but I guess that was just a fallback.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
That is what is a little bit tricky. All the viewers, Sigil or Calibre can't be entirely trusted. Even my Sony Library can't be trusted to display for my PRS-300.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts