Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Canadians anyone able to use the Kindle with public library books? (epubs)

Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of an original 1st generation Kobo and a Canadian. I'd like to upgrade my reader.

I'm trying to decide between a new Kobo (Aura or Aura HD) and a Kindle Paperweight. Have any Canadians successfully used public library epubs with their Kindle? Is this even possible (I know Calibre converts epub to Kindle format but public library books are DRM protected and my local library has people use Adobe Digital Rights management with their epubs.

Or should I just forget about the Kindle if I want to borrow public library epubs?
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
No and you won't find any. That option is not offered by Amazon and/or Overdrive for use with Canadian libraries.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Thanks for the reply - that definitely eliminates the Kindle for me.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
No and you won't find any. That option is not offered by Amazon and/or Overdrive for use with Canadian libraries.
Just curious, does anyone know why? I've read several library books on my Kindle using Overdrive in the U.S.. Is this somehow more "unsafe" than the ePub method? Since I use Linux, I can't use the Adobe program required for Overdrive ePub books to Nook, so can't use them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just curious, does anyone know why? I've read several library books on my Kindle using Overdrive in the U.S.. Is this somehow more "unsafe" than the ePub method? Since I use Linux, I can't use the Adobe program required for Overdrive ePub books to Nook, so can't use them.
No, it's no more unsafe. It's simply that, for reasons known only to themselves (perhaps it's some sort of contractual issue - who knows?), Overdrive supply Kindle-format books only in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's no more unsafe. It's simply that, for reasons known only to themselves (perhaps it's some sort of contractual issue - who knows?), Overdrive supply Kindle-format books only in the US.
It's a shame because borrowing Kindle books from the library, via Overdrive, is really slick.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's a shame because borrowing Kindle books from the library, via Overdrive, is really slick.
It sure is. It can all be done wirelessly. No requirement to hook your eink Kindle up to a computer. I love it. It's a shame it's not available elsewhere.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I'm positive that at one time in the past, my local, Ontario library offered mobi's for loan as well, but it seems to be all epub and pdf now. It must be some commercial issue with Overdrive.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, epub, kindle, public library