Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a GUI debricking interface? or a TUI interface?
TUI 5 33.33%
GUI 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
what do you think about having a Custom Live DVD/CD for debricking

Releases:
EDIT:Developmental release 0.0.0
Changelog:
Spoiler:

0.0.0:
-- Initial release
-- put k3flasher in /usr/bin
-- put imxusbloader in /home/noob

My configuration:

original first post:
Spoiler:
What do you guys think about having a "custom distro" for debricking( and maybe development) purposes? It may be easier for noobs than just telling them to "get linux" which is a project in itself....

I think it would be better to use Suse studio than start from scratch although most of us here use Fedora, Linux Mint or Debian from what I've seen, so it might help with when noobs need help if we start with a distro most devs use.....

If we do implement this, we should give it a name.... I was thinking maybe KindleFix or something to that effect...

Any and all comments appreciated, even "You're an idiot and have no idea what you're doing."

Last edited by qlob; 11-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reserved!

Last edited by qlob; 11-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So you are targeting at noobs, but prefer to ask self-taught developers (general audience here) about usefulness? Why do we need it? I've already setup debricking/development environment

Seriously, just do it, post it here and advertise your work in every noob thread. But don't start from choosing the name. It's the hardest task.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
So you are targeting at noobs, but prefer to ask self-taught developers (general audience here) about usefulness? Why do we need it? I've already setup debricking/development environment
Seriously, just do it, post it here and advertise your work in every noob thread. But don't start from choosing the name. It's the hardest task.
okay, will do.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
what about "KDF"

De-Eff your K

Yeah it's not a bad idea. david just did something a little similar in one of the keyboard threads I think. Many would thank you.

Really quietly. : ) Some more vocally.

THANKS!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Either I missed out something, or we still need windows for mfgtool? If that is the case, then we are going to need to use winPE or something.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Either I missed out something, or we still need windows for mfgtool?
Yep, Windows is required for MfgTool. But if you don't like MfgTool and/or use Linux, then just use imx_usb_loader.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I usually use imx_usb_loader these days instead of MfgTool. It works great. Just copy the custom uboot images from the MfgTool profile folders...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I think it's a nice idea.
Supporting Windows users could be a nightmare (especially if you actually don't use Windows at all).
Linux = having everything under your control. If the distro is made with a computer illiterate user in mind, it could be very user friendly, much more than some Windows tools.
My vote goes to SUSE Studio as well, in fact OpenSUSE is the distro I use.
GUI scripting is possible as well (kdialog, zenity, ...).

Imagine giving advice like this:
Boot the latest (put the distro name here) liveCD, click on "Debrick" ("Jailbreak", "Install better PDF reader", "Fix broken display" ) icon and follow the instructions.
Obfuscated script log could be auto-uploaded somewhere (user would need to write down the log ID in case of problems).
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
It could be really helpful, especially if we could also use a bootable USB drive.
The hard thing, then, would be teaching how to find the correct key to jump into the BIOS at startup and how to change the boot order!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker

@dsmid: I like zenity as It's also implemented in python (sudo pip install pyzenity). I like the auto upload a log idea, I think Ubuntu's bootrepair disc did something similar... I never did write down the code, though. Maybe ask for permission to save a log on the windows environment?

I'm a little busy at the moment, as I'm participating in the Google Code-in, but I'll see when I can get around to doing it...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I missed something. IMX_USB. Forked on github to make the process of installing easier...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
aditya3098
Guru

First off, I say it should be like the gparted live disk, based off of debian or ubuntu.

I was wondering if the cd would run on an LTS system or a newer system (ubuntu precise is fine, anything 11.10+ ). If it is gtk3 supported, then I could write a gui for it ( I'm a gtk3 guy )

Last edited by aditya3098; 11-29-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: tpyogarpyhcal eorros
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
qlob
Official Lurker

I've decided to go with Suse studio, not ubuntu, sorry. I have included gtk2 and gtk3 though... Would anyone be against having a custom YUM repo for all the tools like k3flasher?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
qlob
Official Lurker

Just realized what I can do for an uploaded log! We could do something like
Code:
curl piqd.com/api -F "file=@upload.txt"
if we use piqd...