Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
niki_johnson8
niki_johnson8 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Full page images?

I hope this is in the right forum. I'm trying to add photos to my book using Calibre. At the moment, when I add photos (they are 500x800 when I add them to the document) the photos shrink to about 1/4 of the screen.

I'd like my photos to take up the entire screen, so on one page you'll have a page full of text, flip the page and have a full-page photo, flip the page and have text again (hopefully that makes sense).

I don't know a lot about HTML code, but I've had a go with a few codes with no luck. Does anyone know of a tried-and-true code or method to get my photos to take up the whole page?

***I don't know if you need to know this, but I use Microsoft Word, export as a web, filtered document, and import into Calibre before converting the file to an epub file. I view the books on a Samsung Galaxy with the "Play Books" app.
niki_johnson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The editor can directly import DOCX, which will give cleaner results by using the builtin DOCX conversion input plugin. Also when opening DOCX as a new book the CSS is not flattened unlike conversion.

Regarding the image, try putting it in its own file in an SVG wrapper modeled after the ones which usually wrap a coverpage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@niki_johnson8 - Also see this ==>> How can I fix Microsoft Word 2007 to stop automatically resizing

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
niki_johnson8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The editor can directly import DOCX, which will give cleaner results by using the builtin DOCX conversion input plugin. Also when opening DOCX as a new book the CSS is not flattened unlike conversion.

Regarding the image, try putting it in its own file in an SVG wrapper modeled after the ones which usually wrap a coverpage.
I'm really sorry, but none of this made sense to me. What is CSS and how do you make an SVG wrapper?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
EPub Tutorial <-- A must-read

Learn all about HTML and CSS, at least the subset necessary for ebooks.

SVG wrappers are a way of scaling other images to fit a space, see the coverpage that Sigil or calibre can automatically generate, for an example usage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
niki_johnson8

Thanks. I'll give those a try!