Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
reggaejames
reggaejames began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Mobile Tech Reviews the PRS 700

Here is the first official review I could find of Sony's new reader.
See link
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadg...er-PRS-700.htm
Still undecided whether to buy it or not...
reggaejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the link ! very interesting article. i noticed both feedbooks and calibre got a mention ; mobileread didn't but i have to wonder whether the author might be a member here...

lots of good info there in any case and it seems like a fairly objective review.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505

Argh... I didn't know the contrast was that bad... And i've been waiting for
months, wishing sony would launch the ultimate reader (sigh)...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

Argh... I didn't know the contrast was that bad... And i've been waiting for
months, wishing sony would launch the ultimate reader (sigh)...
This is a pretty good picture, and accurately represents what the 700 looks like.

Last edited by johnnyr; 11-12-2008 at 11:09 AM.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
For a change an informative and accurate review.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
reggaejames
reggaejames began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
It is a lot worse...

Hi, everyone. I have enjoyed reading your comments on Sony's new reader.
I was planning on making the 700 my first purchase. But after seeing the pics I am not so sure anymore.
I live in Thailand and have only seen e-readers online. Will not being able to compare it to anything make me satisfied with the 700's screen?
I mean it can't be that bad right? I am torn between form over function.
reggaejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I've read over and over about the less than perfect contrast offered on the 700.

I've been using my 505 for months with the wedge light cover. I like to fold the cover back when I read so I always read through the wedge light, day or night. Is the lack of contrast comparable? I would suspect those of us who read through the plastic of the wedge light already know what to expect from the 700. Am I right?

Katelyn
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Good review. Thanks reggaejames!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I've read over and over about the less than perfect contrast offered on the 700.

I've been using my 505 for months with the wedge light cover. I like to fold the cover back when I read so I always read through the wedge light, day or night. Is the lack of contrast comparable? I would suspect those of us who read through the plastic of the wedge light already know what to expect from the 700. Am I right?

Katelyn
Although I don't have that experience, I think that is a good point. I got to compare the PRS-700 side by side with the PRS-505 with the light wedge illuminated, but I didn't try comparing the text of the PRS-505 through the light wedge, without it turned on. As I don't own either yet, I think that I can say fairly confidently that the PRS-700 still has more features and potential, despite the disappointment in the screen contrast, to push me more in that direction. Thanks for that observation. A comparison pic of that would be interesting to see as well!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I forgot to include my thanks for that review reggaejames!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Although I don't have that experience, I think that is a good point. I got to compare the PRS-700 side by side with the PRS-505 with the light wedge illuminated, but I didn't try comparing the text of the PRS-505 through the light wedge, without it turned on. As I don't own either yet, I think that I can say fairly confidently that the PRS-700 still has more features and potential, despite the disappointment in the screen contrast, to push me more in that direction. Thanks for that observation. A comparison pic of that would be interesting to see as well!
The lightwedge is still much better then the 700. When I was at the Sony store, I asked the sales guy to show me the lightwedge. He took it out of the package, and hooked up the 505 to it. It still looked crystal clear, compared to the 700.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I seems likely that the PRS-700 has a resistive touch screen, which typically blocks about 25% of the light (best case about 15% of the light). See How do touch-screen monitors know where you're touching?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
I think I'm in the same boat as several other participants on the 700 threads who are not based in the US or Canada.

I've been waiting patiently for the 700 with all it's new features but horrified that the screen doesn't even match up to the 505. What's worse is that since we're not in North America we can't see it for ourselves in person, which has been the wisest advice on the forums. I've seen a 505 in London and I've seen the screens of the Iliad and Cybook in person in Australia. If the 700 matched up to those screens I would have purchased it even with the price differential.

However, that's not the case. Further the Australian import price (based on today's exchange rate and including shipping) is AUD724, which is 45% more expensive than the 505 (also imported) or the Bebook/Hanlin bought locally.

In these economically challenging times you have to focus on the core value over the bells and whisltes. The core value of any ereader is the ability to read your book collection (in my case a wide collection of .LIT and .TXT novels and newsfeeds) as if it was a real, old world book. On this test alone it's nigh on impossible to take a punt on the 700 based on the first hand feedback of others
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
Thanks for the review. Is the screen truly as poor as a matte lcd though? Maybe that's just in terms of glare. It isn't shooting light at your eyes, so it should still be easier on the eyes than a laptop, no?

The iRex uses a Wacom sensor which is under the screen, alleviating this problem, but also costing more in battery life. Either way a tradeoff. Plus there is the matters of form factor, software, and price.
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #15
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
The lightwedge is still much better then the 700. When I was at the Sony store, I asked the sales guy to show me the lightwedge. He took it out of the package, and hooked up the 505 to it. It still looked crystal clear, compared to the 700.
I wonder if anyone has compared the 700 to a Kindle with a lightwedge.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote