Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #31
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
What the heck else are you going to do with it?

--
Bill
"This fiction's not gonna read itself!"
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
How else am I gonna know what the kids are calling it these days?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Reality is nice, but it is not enough action. Boring.

Good fiction is reality, when you look under the surface, only with most of the boring parts left out. Efficiency rules!!!

Using fiction you can live, learn and experience a lot more. What is not to like about that?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #34
Gerry Skoyles
Gerry Skoyles began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty's View Post
In a sentence?

I like to visit other worlds.
Indeed! Who can say they never feel the need to escape for a while?
Gerry Skoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #35
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I see enough reality in the news. I love reading something creative.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #36
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It has been integral part of any culture for long time. Probably it's more hard-wired than just culture(evolution maybe?), as it's excellent way to share information and pass down the history... Cultural, social and maybe evolutionary reasons...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I read fiction because that way I can be assured that justice will triumph and there will be a happy ending. In reality, those things happen all too infrequently.
I like that.

Karma to you.

Last edited by sadievan; 09-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
I see enough reality in the news. I love reading something creative.
me too. I love language sculptors like poets. Hate cheap elven-laden fantasy in distant worlds that feel just like ours, except a bit more gay.

To me, that's the difference between high literature classics and in-your-face-best-sellers: the high skilled mastery of language. I'm not talking about abusing baroque constructs or being too dense, just about giving the language the proper art treatment.

In the hands of a skilled story teller, any trivial story is great.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
It's because the story is always what people have been after. Great prose can enhance a story, but great prose without a great story falls flat.

http://www.online-literature.com/donne/1014/

it's the skill of the story-teller that makes it shine.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
http://www.online-literature.com/donne/1014/

it's the skill of the story-teller that makes it shine.
There still needs to be a story, not just a collection of well-crafted sentences and paragraphs.

First the writer needs to have a story to tell. Then he or she needs to tell it skillfully.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
me too. I love language sculptors like poets. Hate cheap elven-laden fantasy in distant worlds that feel just like ours, except a bit more gay.

To me, that's the difference between high literature classics and in-your-face-best-sellers: the high skilled mastery of language. I'm not talking about abusing baroque constructs or being too dense, just about giving the language the proper art treatment.

Aren't the emperor's new clothes fantastic?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

While I am not one for long descriptive passages or interjections of how to make the world better, many are.

I have read books with great plot ideas where the narrative seemed to go on and on, well past it's sell by date. Then I have read books where the plot seems trivial, but that make me laugh out loud, or even on occasion learn something.

Most books I read, you are pretty sure the good guys will prevail and often enough who the bad guys are. The value for me is usually not in the jouney from Point A to Point B, but the points of interest along the way.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There still needs to be a story, not just a collection of well-crafted sentences and paragraphs.
but the guy I was quoting said readers were after "great" stories. I replied that a skilful narrator makes any trivial story great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Aren't the emperor's new clothes fantastic?
yes, amusing little story with simple narrative for teaching kids a straightforward moral lesson.

The conclusion here -- like in most fables intended for education -- is the selling point, not the story or narration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Most books I read, you are pretty sure the good guys will prevail and often enough who the bad guys are. The value for me is usually not in the jouney from Point A to Point B, but the points of interest along the way.
have you ever read any poetry at all?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #44
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
i was thinking why i read fiction and i couldnt put it into a simple sentence.

If i say escapism does that mean i'm not happy with my life. i guess its a lot of little things, it sparks my imagination. i can experience places.

I'm curious about others take on this.
enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Rv3tcReYI
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #45
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It's the story that readers are after. Great prose enhances a story, but it can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote