Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Question New Pocket Edge User Needing Help

Hello everyone, I was one of the ones who jumped on the woot $79 special. I was in the market for a reader and when I saw the Nook Color I knew that was the direction I wanted to head. Then I kept getting hung up on the price and wanted a little more from it. I wanted something more like a tablet and they were more expensive. Then I saw this and decided to give it a shot.

I need to know where to go to get it up and running though. Can someone please tell me what I will need to do and how to do it to get the Nook app running on it and the ability to run other simple apps? Also I would like to be able to access the internet. I use Facebook alot and other basic sites.

I plugged it and and played a little. I found my wireless modem, enterred the password but keep getting a failure to connect message.

Help please? -Micky
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
cajunseo
Zealot

I have the Ermine update on a usb. Not sure what yall mean when you say it has to be saved as a root directory. Can someone clue in the clueless? Also, I would assume that I need to have access to the internet. Although I can see my modem and put in the password it fails to connect. Can someone offer a clue as to why? Thanks in advance -Micky
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
I have the Ermine update on a usb. Not sure what yall mean when you say it has to be saved as a root directory. Can someone clue in the clueless? Also, I would assume that I need to have access to the internet. Although I can see my modem and put in the password it fails to connect. Can someone offer a clue as to why? Thanks in advance -Micky
I followed the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=183

Just make sure you put the update in the root directory of the USB drive and renamed it as specified in Step 2.

Press the MENU and ROTATE buttons simultaneously while
powering on and KEEP them pressed (I counted to 10). When you release the buttons the update will start and only takes a few minutes.

No need to have wifi on while performing the update.

Once you've successfully updated to 2.2, try setting up your wifi again. Are you sure you are using the correct password? On mine, I had to use the encryption key. If it still doesn't work, start another thread and someone will be along to help you figure it out. There are a LOT of smart people here who do amazing things with this little device.

Welcome to the forums

Edited to add: I used a USB thumb drive with no problems at all, although some have used MicroSD cards.

Last edited by DianNC; 09-18-2011 at 04:27 AM.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
First, the root directory is the one that holds any other directory. If your USB stick doesn't have any directories then copying update.zip to it automatically places the zip in the root directory.

Internet access is unnecessary to do the update, in fact you can't do it over the inet because the entourage servers are now shut down.

To get your WiFi working you will need to input your WEP/WPA key assuming your WiFi is secured - if it isn't then you don't need to enter anything. The WEP/WPA key is a series of up to 26 hex digits (0-9 and A-F).

If you still have problems just come back and let us know and we'll try and resolve them for you.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
First, the root directory is the one that holds any other directory. If your USB stick doesn't have any directories then copying update.zip to it automatically places the zip in the root directory.

Internet access is unnecessary to do the update, in fact you can't do it over the inet because the entourage servers are now shut down.

To get your WiFi working you will need to input your WEP/WPA key assuming your WiFi is secured - if it isn't then you don't need to enter anything. The WEP/WPA key is a series of up to 26 hex digits (0-9 and A-F).

If you still have problems just come back and let us know and we'll try and resolve them for you.
I have enterred the key numerous times and it still says that connection was unsuccessful. It see my modem and somewhere along the way I have seen the it has excellent signal strenght. But Wi-Fi always shows unsuccessful and I can't get online.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You have to set up your router to allow MAC devices.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
I have enterred the key numerous times and it still says that connection was unsuccessful. It see my modem and somewhere along the way I have seen the it has excellent signal strenght. But Wi-Fi always shows unsuccessful and I can't get online.
Did you follow the procedure in the PE manual (page 23 in the PDF version)?

Set the SSID.
Select the security type from the pulldown list. Make sure you are using the correct type or you will never get it to work.
It is advisable to turn on 'show password' to make sure you are entering the letters/numbers correctly.

Note that some WiFi units expect a colon between each letter/number pair. Also be sure of the degree of encryption - 64 or 128 bit because that determines the number of letter/number pairs - trying to put a 128 but key in a 64 bit space won't work.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
cajunseo
Zealot

Thanks guys. I had numerous mac devices already running on router. I restarted the router and like magic it worked. Now I need help updating to 2.2. I copied the file and renamed it (I think properly) and still nothing. I am holding the menu and rotate buttons for ever. It gets to where it show 3 white dots and then just starts over. It does this about 4 times and then I give up and let it start. When does the update screen come up? I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel now. Hopefully it's not an on coming train.......
Help Please?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Silly question, I know....but, are you starting with a completely powered down eDGe?

I downloaded the 'PocketEdge_update_by_Mark_Rehorst.zip' then renamed it to 'update.zip'. I then sent it to my USB drive, ejected it from the PC and inserted it in the eDGe.

Then...you know the rest...just hold down the two buttons while turning it on. I counted slowly to 10 then let go. The device starts the update almost immediately and takes only a couple of minutes or so. You'll see the clock on top and the little lock icon near the bottom.

Good luck...you're almost there!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I followed the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=183

Just make sure you put the update in the root directory of the USB drive and renamed it as specified in Step 2.

Press the MENU and ROTATE buttons simultaneously while
powering on and KEEP them pressed (I counted to 10). When you release the buttons the update will start and only takes a few minutes.

No need to have wifi on while performing the update.

Once you've successfully updated to 2.2, try setting up your wifi again. Are you sure you are using the correct password? On mine, I had to use the encryption key. If it still doesn't work, start another thread and someone will be along to help you figure it out. There are a LOT of smart people here who do amazing things with this little device.

Welcome to the forums

Edited to add: I used a USB thumb drive with no problems at all, although some have used MicroSD cards.

When I go to the link you provided, which of those files do I download?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
DianNC
Banned

See my post above yours...I used the one by Mark Rehorst.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
cajunseo
Zealot

Pleae forgive me for asking so many questions. I probably sound pretty dumb at this point. When I change the name to update.zip do i leave the ext of .torrent?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
DianNC
Banned

Nooooooo. Don't mess with it at all except to rename it update.zip.

There are no dumb questions, btw. That's how we're all learning here.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Nooooooo. Don't mess with it at all except to rename it update.zip.

There are no dumb questions, btw. That's how we're all learning here.
So I leave the .torrent extension at the end?