Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
tzooka
tzooka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My kindle was cut in its prime a couple of days ago

. I have never been this upset to lose a piece of electronics before. I really fell in love with it right from the start which is also a first for me.
I was looking for a better way to listen to mp3 files and came across this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113197

I have moved my music files to the Audible folder and had the pleasure of listening to one track successfully when at the beginning of the second track my kindle suddenly froze. Obviously this wasn’t the first time it did that , so I tried holding the reset switch for 20 seconds, but nothing happened. I tried again and again each time for a longer time until my finger started to hurt.
I tried connecting to a computer but it wasn’t even recognized.
The next thing I tried was recharging for a few hours , again nothing happened , it would not reset . I also tried alt+g and some other key combinations that I don’t really remember right now.
Nothing.
At this point I guess I should have called support but I didn’t because I live in Israel and am about to fly in two days to costa rica where I would spend the next few months. I knew there was no way I could get it sent back to me in time for my flight.
So the next thing I did was to open the cover and remove the battery.
(I know this has revoked my warranty)
Oh how I wanted it to work…
It didn’t.
The screen stayed as frozen as it was. I waited a few more hours with the battery removed but there was no difference.
Just to be clear , I am not saying that moving the files to the audible folder caused the problem, it could of course be a coincidence, I just wanted to give all the information in case anybody has a clue as to what else I can do.
thanks
tzooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzooka View Post
So the next thing I did was to open the cover and remove the battery.
(I know this has revoked my warranty)
Well that was dumb. You should have sent it to amazon regardless. Waiting is better than being out $140.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you did a neat job of opening it up, you can probably still have it replaced under warranty. Someone mentioned that they did similar and it was still replaced (and shows signs of opening)>

Good luck
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh my gosh! how terribly frustrating! sending the audible files to your kindle should not have been a problem at all! anecdotally we have never heard of anyone having a problem having cracked open their kindle and then returning it. please call kindle tech support and let them know about this. they have been so incredibly supportive of users that have really abused their kindles!

let us know how it works out!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Welcome to mobileread. Unfortunately I can't think of anything else except to contact Amazon. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
tzooka

Thank you guys for your answers,
I took your advice and spoke to Amazon’s customer service. should have done that much sooner .
just as Kindlekitten said, they were extremely helpful . they will send me a new kindle to Israel free of charge. They will also pay for the pickup and shipping of my frozen kindle back to the states.
I will still need to have someone send it to Costa Rica though, because knowing how things work in the remote area I’m going to be staying there, sending it directly from Amazon would have resulted in a very big headache with the customs. But this is entirely my fault for not calling them sooner. If I had spoke to them on the day it happened there is a chance it could have been delivered in time for my flight.
I guess I just couldn’t believe I won’t be able to get it to restart by myself.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
So will you be checking the airport Bookshops for a 2nd Kindle?

I would be. I'd hate to go more than 2 days without a digital reader.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
tzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
So will you be checking the airport Bookshops for a 2nd Kindle?

I would be. I'd hate to go more than 2 days without a digital reader.
hmmm... haven’t thought of that. I think I would not be able to resist it if I saw one
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

It would be my luck that I hunt the airport shops and find only Sony or other devices with no ability to read Kindle/mobi formats or could load the Kindle software but they only had wifi and the airport wifi would cost more to use than the device cost!!

Bummer situation but hopefully one of the duty free shops will have a Kindle for you. Or even a device that can use the Kindle software and also fills other computing needs.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm not sure about non-US but I know HMSHost stores in the US stock Kindles.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzooka View Post
Thank you guys for your answers,
I took your advice and spoke to Amazon’s customer service. should have done that much sooner .
just as Kindlekitten said, they were extremely helpful . they will send me a new kindle to Israel free of charge. They will also pay for the pickup and shipping of my frozen kindle back to the states.
I will still need to have someone send it to Costa Rica though, because knowing how things work in the remote area I’m going to be staying there, sending it directly from Amazon would have resulted in a very big headache with the customs. But this is entirely my fault for not calling them sooner. If I had spoke to them on the day it happened there is a chance it could have been delivered in time for my flight.
I guess I just couldn’t believe I won’t be able to get it to restart by myself.
a mixed blessing I suppose. glad it worked out for you sort of!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote