stanley_lulu
stanley_lulu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
thank you so much
stanley_lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #47
thermopyle
Enthusiast
thermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-books

Actually, on second thought, although the idea I had for a different approach to that problem would work logically and be easy enough to program, the workaround for the pitfall would require making AKC! less automatic. So, what I can do is specify a user-defined collection type (preceded by ~ or something) and leave those collections intact when running AKC! They would be completely user-managed, the program would ignore those collections entirely and you could, if you deleted the books in such a collection, end up with an empty collection. You could delete it by hand, of course, using either the Kindle or another collection management program, but that's what user-managed means.
thermopyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #48
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Confused, Folders merged into one collection

Love the idea of your program, but have been struggling for two evenings now and am giving up. Here is the problem I have (using Calibre):

- I create a custom field "Genre"
- In Genre I have many books as "Fiction", others as Non Fiction and yet others as "Dutch Fiction"
- The export to the Kindle is perfect. The folder structure is exactly right.

But when I run your program and reboot the Kindle, there is no collection for Fiction and Non Fiction and all the books are in the collection Dutch Fiction.

Btw, the same happens when I set up the Tags like this or split the two words as single words in "Genre1" and "Genre2" .

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
TIA
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #49
gertblij
Enthusiast

AZW and PRC files do not go to collections

While the AZW and PRC files are definitely in the right folders, but after your program has generated the collections, these files are not in any collection and are displayed on the Home screen after the collection list.

Any reason for this?
TIA
Old 12-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #50
thermopyle
Enthusiast
thermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertblij View Post
Love the idea of your program, but have been struggling for two evenings now and am giving up. Here is the problem I have (using Calibre):

- I create a custom field "Genre"
- In Genre I have many books as "Fiction", others as Non Fiction and yet others as "Dutch Fiction"
- The export to the Kindle is perfect. The folder structure is exactly right.

But when I run your program and reboot the Kindle, there is no collection for Fiction and Non Fiction and all the books are in the collection Dutch Fiction.

Btw, the same happens when I set up the Tags like this or split the two words as single words in "Genre1" and "Genre2" .

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
TIA
gertblij,

This problem has already been fixed, I just forgot to include a notice about it. Please redownload the program and run it again. Reech sent me a PM over the weekend regarding this issue and I figured out what the problem is and swapped in the new version on Sunday. The current version should work fine.

Last edited by thermopyle; 12-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #51
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
While the AZW and PRC files are definitely in the right folders, but after your program has generated the collections, these files are not in any collection and are displayed on the Home screen after the collection list.

Any reason for this?
TIA
Are those DRM files? I haven't had anybody report on how they're working, so I'm unsure if they do.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #52
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermopyle View Post
Are those DRM files? I haven't had anybody report on how they're working, so I'm unsure if they do.
No, they are not DRM'd. It is not a big deal, because in my case there are only 4 of them, so adding themmanually is no big deal, but hey, why settle for anything less than perfection
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #53
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
gertblij,

This problem has already been fixed, I just forgot to include a notice about it. Please redownload the program and run it again. Reech sent me a PM over the weekend regarding this issue and I figured out what the problem is and swapped in the new version on Sunday. The current version should work fine.
Where do I do that?

I clicked on the "here" link in your very first post: ("So, in summary: Download the program here."), but that downloaded the original file (CollectionGenerator.6.exe - 5.12.10 - 12:41PM)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #54
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Where do I do that?

I clicked on the "here" link in your very first post: ("So, in summary: Download the program here."), but that downloaded the original file (CollectionGenerator.6.exe - 5.12.10 - 12:41PM)
The file name is the same. 5/12/2010 (or 12/5/2010) is the date that the current version was uploaded. This weekend I'll change the first post, list what fixes/changes have been made since the initial posting, and do a better job of explaining what the program does. I should be able to add the requested ability to ignore user-defined collections as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #55
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
No, they are not DRM'd. It is not a big deal, because in my case there are only 4 of them, so adding themmanually is no big deal, but hey, why settle for anything less than perfection
Hm. Alright. Please post the file names and paths for those four so I can see what AKC! is tripping on.

Like this, please:

x:/documents/folder/folder/filename.ext
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #56
gertblij
Enthusiast

Quote:
The file name is the same. 5/12/2010 (or 12/5/2010) is the date that the current version was uploaded. This weekend I'll change the first post, list what fixes/changes have been made since the initial posting, and do a better job of explaining what the program does. I should be able to add the requested ability to ignore user-defined collections as well.
Oopsie, in that case the problems is still the same. Here is what I did: as the directory structure on the Kindle has not changed (it is correct), I just replaced your program on the Kindle with the new download, ran it and rebooted the Kindle. However, it did not solve the problem as described. Nothing changed. Did I miss something?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #57
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I don't know if the version still does not fix your problem or you have the wrong version - clear the cache in your browser and try again. Sometimes if a file appears the same, the browser looks as if it downloaded the new but does not and uses the one it already had in the cache.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #58
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I don't know if the version still does not fix your problem or you have the wrong version - clear the cache in your browser and try again. Sometimes if a file appears the same, the browser looks as if it downloaded the new but does not and uses the one it already had in the cache.
Yes, I'd try that. I know it works because once it was pointed out, I saw why the problem was occuring immediately, and tested it on my own system by producing some directories with partial shared names (like /test/ and /testtest). Reech confirmed the issue was resolved for him, and it's the same problem you're having now.

I'll rename the file tonight or tomorrow to reflect the version change and avoid this download issue.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #59
thermopyle
Enthusiast

I edited the first post to include the version history and updated the link to the current version. I also made some changes to the content of the post itself, in attempt to be clearer about its capabilities and how to use it for maximum automation and laziness.

gertblij: Please let me know if it's working for you now.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #60
dujik
dujik began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that just restarting the framework is enough to reload collections, you don't have to do a full reboot (ie. usbnetwork/launchpad is your friend).

Quote:
Nice. Thanks for the tip, I'm checking that out now.
Any update on this?
dujik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection, generator, kindle