Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #1021
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I dunno, I'm just grateful Queens has what amounts to unlimited checkouts!

It would be more useful if they hadn't ditched OverDrive for Axis360.
Of course they can go unlimited with Axis360. There's not much people want there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #1022
Froide
Evangelist
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, NOOK Tablet, Samsung GS4, Laptop, Desktop, Palm devices (RIP)
Quote:
I dunno, I'm just grateful Queens has what amounts to unlimited checkouts!

It would be more useful if they hadn't ditched OverDrive for Axis360.
What...huh? Queens Public Library still offers ebooks via OverDrive. (See http://www.queenslibrary.org/enterta...wnloads/ebooks.)
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #1023
Froide
Evangelist
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is possible as well. More than likely the kids have their own card, and the parents are just using them for more checkouts. My own library lets kids have a card soon as they turn 2, some libraries have no age limit at all.
I'm sure this statement dates me: I remember my excitement when I qualified to get my own library card by learning to sign my own name.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #1024
Hampshire Nanny
Addict
Hampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trollsHampshire Nanny doesn't feed trolls

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is possible as well. More than likely the kids have their own card, and the parents are just using them for more checkouts. My own library lets kids have a card soon as they turn 2, some libraries have no age limit at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I'm sure this statement dates me: I remember my excitement when I qualified to get my own library card by learning to sign my own name.
That's been my experience. A kid can get his own card when he can write his own name on the application - first and last. That usually means 4-5 years old.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #1025
conan50
Connoisseur
conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.conan50 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: kindle
Quote:
That was a great feeling as a kid :-) Now I'm old but still get excited/enjoy checking out books via my library card with Overdrive :-)
conan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #1026
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
What...huh? Queens Public Library still offers ebooks via OverDrive. (See http://www.queenslibrary.org/enterta...wnloads/ebooks.)
I was referring to the fact that: I am unaware of when they last purchased a book for their OverDrive catalog, but it was probably at least a year ago, was certainly before I got the card from my friend, and their catalog sucks, so... yeah, they ditched it and it is now a rotting corpse. Of course, it still has some meat left on it.

Other libraries may not have such great catalogs either, but they are actively building them, and getting new releases. Both of which are crucial.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #1027
Froide
Evangelist

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that: I am unaware of when they last purchased a book for their OverDrive catalog, but it was probably at least a year ago, was certainly before I got the card from my friend, and their catalog sucks, so... yeah, they ditched it and it is now a rotting corpse. Of course, it still has some meat left on it.

Other libraries may not have such great catalogs either, but they are actively building them, and getting new releases. Both of which are crucial.
Yikes! to that change as well as to not receiving any such communication from QPL (despite having my email address, home address, mobile/text number on file there and my having opted in to receive library news).
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #1028
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Quote:
Yikes! to that change as well as to not receiving any such communication from QPL (despite having my email address, home address, mobile/text number on file there and my having opted in to receive library news).
Hmm, and I received the notification despite not having any data with them except for my email address as the notification email for hold requests.

Perhaps they sent me your notifications!
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #1029
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
I just notice something new at Brooklyn now if you don't use Auto check off when you go to your account there is a big number by the holds button with how many books are available to borrow. I love that!
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #1030
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just notice something new at Brooklyn now if you don't use Auto check off when you go to your account there is a big number by the holds button with how many books are available to borrow. I love that!
You also get the number on the Bookshelf if you have items there not yet downloaded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #1031
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You also get the number on the Bookshelf if you have items there not yet downloaded.
Very cool I think Overdrive is making some awesome changes finally.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #1032
Froide
Evangelist

I like OverDrive but am disappointed that downloaded books no longer accommodate highlighting, note-taking, or searching within the book. AFAIK, only the OverDrive Read (in your browser) version offers those features now.

I also wish OverDrive could be linked to one's onboard dictionary, so that even when offline one could click on a word to look up its meaning.
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #1033
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I like OverDrive but am disappointed that downloaded books no longer accommodate highlighting, note-taking, or searching within the book. AFAIK, only the OverDrive Read (in your browser) version offers those features now.

I also wish OverDrive could be linked to one's onboard dictionary, so that even when offline one could click on a word to look up its meaning.
Every book I d/l on Kindle let's me do all that. Amazon even saves those notes after the borrowed book is returned - and if you reborrow same book or buy it, it remembers.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote