Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #31
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Well, works great with the Kindle now!

Changed multiple formats, all worked. One text file I attempted gave me a java nullpointerror multiple times when trying to convert it to either mobipocket or kindle format. Other than that, all good.

The Mobipocket I converted too Kindle format lost its table of contents, and bookmarks made in the file in Stanza didn't turn into one on the Kindle - this would be a big, big benefit. I usually run MobiCreator through emulation to do that sort of thing.. would love to do it in the Mac environment instead.

Still, really great! Keep it up!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #32
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Works now.
I like the layout, I think it makes reading on a computer screen much more enjoyable.
Now on to conversion.

Great job till now, guys. Keep it up.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #33
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Next time add a torrent, that should take care of download speed problems.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #34
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Has anyone compared this to Tofu.app?

http://amarsagoo.info/tofu/

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #35
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

tofu does not read mobipocket books !
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Has anyone compared this to Tofu.app?

http://amarsagoo.info/tofu/

William
Tofu does not support nearly so many formats or the conversion and exporting, so nothing to compare there. Though on the topic of formats, both have mentioned on their sites about difficulty with reflowing PDFs. Do either of them make use of the reflow tags, if they are present? Something to ask, I guess.

On the reading side, I think it may be a bit early to compare Stanza. One of the things I like about Tofu is the customization options for colors and columns. Stanza has many similar options, but for now the background color cannot be changed, for instance. Wait until it is out of beta to get a good comparison of the readers.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 06-03-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added PDF reflow question
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #37
mores
Guru

Okay, found a major gripe: it completely ignores italics, bold type as well as the extra space between paragraphs.
Phooey ...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #38
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well, works great with the Kindle now!

Changed multiple formats, all worked. One text file I attempted gave me a java nullpointerror multiple times when trying to convert it to either mobipocket or kindle format. Other than that, all good.

The Mobipocket I converted too Kindle format lost its table of contents, and bookmarks made in the file in Stanza didn't turn into one on the Kindle - this would be a big, big benefit. I usually run MobiCreator through emulation to do that sort of thing.. would love to do it in the Mac environment instead.

Still, really great! Keep it up!
I'm leaving Gideon's post, in full, because it's exactly what I was going to say. The only thing that I'd like to add, is that when I convert a lit book, Stanza knows the authore when I apple-I the lit file, but that information is lost in the conversion to Kindle - there's no author shown on my Kindle, and opening the azw file in Stanza shows an "unknown" author, too.

It's very exciting to do these conversions without starting Fusion, I'm thrilled with the start you've made, and hope for even better in the future.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #39
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
This program is definitely going in the right direction. Saves me a lot of time since I don't have to use a emulation program that took forever on my mac. This thing has made my life a lot easier and happier!!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #40
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Nit picking: could you make the "download it here" text look more like a link? It took me forever to find where to download it! I kept clicking the big box on the top right, which just took me to the page I was already on. Thanks!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #41
mores
Guru

haha, me too
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Ok,
I downloaded the fixed file and yes it runs under 10.4.11. I went to open a file and discovered that lrf is not one of their formats. Being a Sony person, this is a drawback. I then opened the prc file for Hal Spacejock that I had recently downloaded. It looked funny to me. Lots of lines that began with &. I opened the rtf version and it displayed fine. To check I opened the copy that I had libprs500 (do not correct me I haven't upgraded yet and my copy is still named as I state). The converted lrf file displayed fine. I do not have another prc viewer to check with, so I do not know if the problem is with the prc, my copy of the prc, or the display algorithim. Any thoughts?
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #43
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Post not salvation

- no LRF support
- no images (when opening urls)
- problems with images in pdfs
- not able to open some pdfs at all
- export works, but is flawed at times layout-wise (empty pages in pdfs etc.)
- user not able to define parameters for export, import

- nice layout
- fast
- supports many different formats
- good for reading text-only stuff - if you haven't got an eReader device at hand
- download problems fixed

Last edited by jotheman; 06-06-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: more insight
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #44
curlygirl
curlygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Finally.... a faster lit reader than maclit.
And can convert from a format to any other formats easily...

It works good on leopard 10.5.3
curlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #45
claymore
claymore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cool!

Thanks for the link!
claymore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, macintosh, stanza